Skip to content

Nashkel Store no longer has Large Shields +1

They used to have 5 of them, and now they have none.

They were one of the few nice goodies you can steal.

Do we know if this is intentional or a bug? I noticed the Friendly Arm Inn has unenchanted Large Shields now, where they used to only go up to Medium Shields, so maybe they've just been tweaking the store goods.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    this seems to be intentional, you can go to taerom and still buy a large shield +1 there, and i think feldpost's inn has one as well.....? i recall there being 2 of them before bg the city and i want to say both of them are in beregost
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Can you steal from any of those merchants? There are precious few places to steal quality enchanted goods. It'll be a real nerf to the pickpocket skill if it can't get you some good early game shields anymore.

Can you steal from any of those merchants? There are precious few places to steal quality enchanted goods. It'll be a real nerf to the pickpocket skill if it can't get you some good early game shields anymore.

nope, but that doesnt necessarily mean pick pocket is moot though, there are still quite a few NPCs that you can pick pocket items from that make the skill useful, plus the normal large shields are only 1 AC lower than their magical counter parts, plus perhaps one reason why they get rid of all those large shields +1 is because the merchant guy right outside of durlag's tower will buy stolen goods and he is easy to access

or at least that is what my guess is
    I don't think there are enough quality stealable good that they should just be removing big stuff like this.

That merchant was one of the only merchants you can steal from, and that shield was his only good worth stealing.
    CamDawg said:

There are a couple of reasons why we ultimately concluded this was a typo in the store listing and not intentional.

• The Nashkel store sells no other magical items.
    • It sold non-magical shields of all types except large shields, and then inexplicably sold +1 large shields.
    • Multiples of magical items (save ammo) are rarely for sale in a shop, much less this stack of five at the Nashkel store. As a point of comparison the Thunderhammer Smithy has three magical shields total (one each small, medium, large).
    I guess that makes sense, and that shield isn't really like dramatically gamechanging or anything, but I wish there was more cool stuff to steal/pickpocket.
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    I think it should probably sell ONE large shield +1. Let the store have something distinctive.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2020
    CamDawg wrote: »
    There are a couple of reasons why we ultimately concluded this was a typo in the store listing and not intentional. * The Nashkel store sells no other magical items.

Thank you for your answer. It looks like to me a clear case of a "bug" that became canon and should have remained in the game. Killing the pickpocket at the carnival for a potion of master thievery, then getting +1 Large shields for all your fighters, was an obligatory rite of passage, which had become essential to BG1 antics.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Cloutier wrote: »
    There are a couple of reasons why we ultimately concluded this was a typo in the store listing and not intentional. * The Nashkel store sells no other magical items.

Thank you for your answer. It looks like to me a clear case of a "bug" that became canon and should have remained in the game. Killing the pickpocket at the carnival for a potion of master thievery, then getting +1 Large shields for all your fighters, was an obligatory rite of passage, which had become essential to BG1 antics.

You get some and you lose some. In the EEs, you can get 3 plate mails from the FF soldiers on your way to Nashkel. It wasn't an option pre-EE.
    Cloutier wrote: »

You get some and you lose some. In the EEs, you can get 3 plate mails from the FF soldiers on your way to Nashkel. It wasn't an option pre-EE.

heh, i remember when these games first came out in 2012 and that was one of the issues that this lone guard would threaten you on the way to nashkiel and instead of everyone RPing and calming this guy down, they would power game and find a way to take this guy out at level 1 for his sexy platemail

so beamdog's answer was to have 3 of them instead to make it "harder" or "convince" players not to take them on, only to ironically make players power game even more to find a way to take all 3 of them out at level 1 to get 3 suits instead of one

ah good times, at least the stupifier is way more fair now then it used to be when it first came out
    Oh, is that why there's three guards now? I always wondered about that. Beamdog doesn't usually just arbitrarily redesign encounters like that.
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Oh, is that why there's three guards now? I always wondered about that. Beamdog doesn't usually just arbitrarily redesign encounters like that.

well this was almost 10 years ago, and there was a lot less of us here, so the forum felt way more tight with everyone here so when small changes like that happened, it didn't cause much of a fuss