Skip to content

Can't decide on next solo class

ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
I am looking to solo again! I've done a F/M/T before, and an inquisitor. It's been a while so I wouldn't mind doing it again. I am normally a hack and slash kind of guy, so I like getting my APR really high and buffing my strength through Crom Faeyr. Normally go for 10apr with a FMT using crom in the mainhand and scarlet ninja to in the offhand, but this time around I don't think I am going to do 10apr. Would rather just go 8-9apr and use some really nice weapons.

Was thinking maybe a F/M with Bastard Sword mainhand, plus crom in the offhand? I guess technically warhammers are the best weapons in the game due to bonuses vs. plate and higher AC, right? Although I remember there being a really OP bastard sword that heals you and you can upgrade it to a +5.

I was also considering playing a Berserker->Mage but not sure if fighter mage is better.
Also was considering a fighter/thief but i'd like to play without thieving skills for once as I think stealth, UAI, and traps are pretty cheese. I've also never played a mage character with mage HLAs as the FMT doesn't get the mage HLAs.

Typical gear would be helm of balduran, gauntlets of extra spec, robe of vecna, etc.

So, F/M, Berserker (7? 9? 13?) -> mage? Or something else? Not interested in playing a midget

:) thoughts?

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    What about a Sorcerer? Since you've already soloed twice with fighter-type characters (and haven't played a mage yet), a solo Sorcerer is a great option for a challenging as well as fun playthrough. Just remember to get your spell selections right, cause that is the most important thing when playing a Sorcerer. Good luck and have fun! :)
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    I tried to do a sorcerer once, but it wasn't for me. TBH I only started liking it when I got the lvl 7 sowrds that I could imp haste. Haha.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Well, so how about a Fighter/Cleric?

Although you are not interested in playing a midget, do note that Dwarves make the best Fighter/Clerics (19 CON and bonus saving throws)! They also have access to certain dwarf-only equipment (like Helmet of Dumathion from SoD and Dwarven Throwing Hammer).

Otherwise, there's always the option of the Ranger/Cleric! (I prefer the "unfixed" Ranger/Cleric version, that is the one with all Druid spells.)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    How about a Swahsbuckler?
    Also, note I am playing with the 2.5 patch and will not be using any cheats, even the exp cap remover. Man, I wish you could use imp haste and the flail of ages upgraded at the same time ;(
    OK - I just got to level 5 on my berserker with that lightning hammer and aknheg mail in like 2 hours of game play and I haven't even entered the mines yet. I wonder what I should dual him to? I've really only thought of mage but are there other options?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Berserker/Mage at level 7 (for the extra 0.5 APR), 8 (for the extra use of Enrage), or 9 (for Grandmastery in a weapon type) is generally considered the optimal solo build. Level 13 is also possible, but it's kind of inconvenient and you're playing all of BG1 and SoD and much of early SoA as a basic Berserker, which might not be as interesting if you're already done lots of fighter types. A Berserker/Mage is fairly solid, it's fairly fun, and it scales very nicely as time goes on. This is the sturdiest build and offers the most flexibility.

You can dual-class to thief, which is another excellent build. Thieves level faster, so a later dual from Berserker is less costly. If you enjoy backstabbing and traps, the Berserker/Thief would be a nice change of pace, and being able to get Use Any Item and therefore use items like the Scarlet Ninja-to, Carsomyr, and Soul Reaver will be very useful later in BG2. It's another solid build, with stronger offenses than most builds.

You can also go with Berserker/Cleric, and since you're specializing in hammers, the cleric weapon restrictions won't hamper you too much. A Berserker/Cleric won't have the attacks per round of a Berserker/Mage or Berserker/Thief, but it will be able to use DUHM, which means very high-damage individual hits, which I personally find very satisfying. It will be sturdier than the Berserker/Thief for most of the game, though you may find it a little less efficient late in BG2, since cleric HLAs aren't quite as impressive as mage or thief HLAs.

If you're True Neutral and have high WIS and CHA, you could also dual-class to druid. A Berserker/Druid is a highly effective character from BG1 to early ToB, though its HLAs won't be as interesting in late ToB. Insect Plague is game-breaking in BG2, though Enrage already means that you don't have to worry about enemy mages that much anyway. Note that a Berserker/Druid can use Belm for extra APR. This is also more convenient for a late dual, since druids level very quickly until the lengthy gaps from 12-13, 13-14, and 14-15.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    For going through BG and SoA like a wrecking ball I don't think you can beat a berserker for soloing (I don't know about ToB because mine's only just got there).
    I've also got a berserker that I soloed through BG and dualed to mage at the start of SoA (level 12) and that's working out rather well too.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Maybe something fun,try a blade- hack and slash, but not that strong as fmt in some areas. Or something not popular - druid kits, cleric kits, without fighter dual or multi. Because you did it with full fighter(inquisitor) there is not much fun with another full fighter type, like barbarian or berserker. Maybe try a monk its so uniqe( and pain in the beginning).
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited December 2018
    Whatever you do, don't pick thief or priest.

it's fine for bg1 but 1apr is just not enough to take on bosses in BG2 and ToB. you'll just end up being forced to cheese with Harm or Spike trap and save/reload constantly. Not fun.

speaking from experience.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951

Whatever you do, don't pick thief or priest.

it's fine for bg1 but 1apr is just not enough to take on bosses in BG2 and ToB. you'll just end up being forced to cheese with Harm or Spike trap and save/reload constantly. Not fun.

speaking from experience.

Speaking thief yes i agree, but with cleric no. Cleric is not that bad for a playthrough, but yes definitely a challenge.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I fully agree with Semiticgod’s post.

But a word of caution on clerics and the hammer weapon prof.
    the end game boss in SoD requires a +3 weapon to hit.

There is a really cool hammer (Sundermaul), which is +3. But it lies in a chest that you cant break into as I recall. So your stuck with the voidhammer - which is less optimal

You need a knock spell of a thief to get the Sundermaul hammer as I recall. Otherwise its just slings and staff’s that can hit.

Another route is healing Caelar with scrolls of ressurection whilst wearing the battle tankard helmet (no fattigue). But you will miss out on the fun with an enraged hammer wielding juggernaut...
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The final boss of SoD is indeed a problem for many solo characters. A Berserker/Mage could simply use an Enchanted Weapon scroll to make all of his or her weapons strike as +3, but other classes would need to use an actual +3 weapon.

The Berserker/Druid would be limited to the Quarterstaff +3 or Drizzt's scimitars from BG1 or the Echo of the Fiend or Bullets of Darkness from SoD. The Berserker/Cleric could use all of those (except for the scimitars) as well as the Voidhammer and Sundermaul. The Berserker/Thief could use all of those as well as the Short Sword of Backstabbing, Dragon Blade, Tongue of Acid, Voidsword, Void-tipped Arrows, and Fractal Blade.

Just buy the +3 staff at Ulgoth's Beard and you'll be good as long as you hold on to it.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Maybe an Archer ranger? You've got solid dps, can avoid inconvenient obstacles with hide in shadows, and free points in dual-wield just in case you're forced into melee.