Skip to content

A couple questions (mid-game in Icewind Dale)

Hi there, last year I played through BG 1, 2 & Dragonspear and was an instant convert - so when Icewind Dale came on sale a week ago I immediately picked it up. I have a couple quick questions regarding the game, as I've noticed it differs in one or two respects from the BG series:

Firstly, if you take the 'recommended' party at the beginning (I didn't) do the party members talk amongst themselves? Something that I've found missing from this game is the character interaction 'Run Booooo run!', and it doesn't seem that you can recruit new party members in taverns etc. as in the BG series?

Does the Party AI button work properly in this game? In the BG:EE series party members (with AI on) would automatically begin attacking new enemies and even cast spells (stoneskin, the odd magic missile etc.) but in this game I sometimes find my tank and other party members standing still while attacked from all sides, so I have to micro manage every single mob, which can be tedious. Is this a bug? Or a deliberate change of the AI mechanic?

Cheers!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    NPC Interaction: There is none in the original (or EE) version. There is, however, a mod which offers joinable npcs that interact among each other . Look it up at the "IWD mods" section in the forums.

Personally I like the IWD premise which is to create your own party and give them any background you want, but npc interaction is always fun.

AI: as far as I know it is supposed to work well , are your the AI buttom is on?
    JuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Also, IWD is a very tactical game with way more mobs than BG, so I advise to rely on AI when using archers or tanks, but it's wiser to plan your spell usage well and never let your tanks run after a lone enemy .
    IamdorfJuliusBorisov
  • ihcobihcob Member Posts: 12
    Alright cheers, I'll check out that mod for my next playthrough :smile: And will have a closer look at the AI button.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    You have to give them a script first for the ai to do anything (customize->scripts) the iwdpregen one ive found is pretty good for fighters/rogues and the “ranged” one is good for arrow/bolt/bullets
    JuliusBorisov
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    DJKajuru said:

NPC Interaction: There is none in the original (or EE) version. There is, however, a mod which offers joinable npcs that interact among each other . Look it up at the "IWD mods" section in the forums.

Personally I like the IWD premise which is to create your own party and give them any background you want, but npc interaction is always fun.

AI: as far as I know it is supposed to work well , are your the AI buttom is on?

The IWD EE NPC mod is very well done. Lots of inter party banter and 2 romance choices for each gender. It comes with a sound pack as well. It turns IWD into a different game completely. Install the latest version of the mod and enjoy!