Skip to content

What modern game is like baldur's gate or icewind dale?

preferably buyable on steam

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, Tyranny and Pathfinder: Kingmaker are your best choices. My personal favourites are Tyranny and Deadfire.
    xzar_montyThacoBell
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Pretty much what Rik said, although I would disagree on Tyranny: I found that quite off-putting. But within the grand scheme of things, it is within the same category.

I would start with Pillars of Eternity, and buy both the White March DLC's. The game is fully patched, and by the time you've played it all the way through, Deadfire is likely to be fully patched, too.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is still a brand new title, meaning there are lots of bugs to be ironed out. But it looks very promising.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    You might also look at Troika's flawed masterpiece Arcanum, or if non-Steam titles are a possibility, Temple of Elemental Evil.
    BrightL1ghts
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    if we are gonna use arcanum and toee then the newer shadow run games.
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    agreed on arcanum, great game.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    If you want more of the atmosphere/characters and not real time combat gameplay you’ve got Shadow Run Returns, Dragonfall(often compared to BG2 in terms of story and characters) Hong Kong. They do have a more steampunk fantasy world though. Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 are supposed to be quality but I’ve only played a bit of the first one and are big classical fantasy worlds. Both of those titles are turn based.

If it’s just the isometric style you like could give Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numera. Both turn based with Wasteland a more Fallout style post apocalypse and Torment a more Planescape inspired fantasy world.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Aaezil said:

your better off just playing planescape torment enhanced edition then that. tides is just a retred of the original and not as good.
    AndreaColombo
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178

Aaezil said:

your better off just playing planescape torment enhanced edition then that. tides is just a retred of the original and not as good.
    Interesting, i found tides to be not very much like PS:T at all besides the abundance of convos.
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    Planescape: Torment and Divinity Original Sin 2.
    Aaezil said:

Aaezil said:

Interesting, i found tides to be not very much like PS:T at all besides the abundance of convos.
    it's more noticeable if you play the two. tides reuses plot points for the sake of reusing plot points as opposed to say kotor 2 whitch did it's own thing while still taking elements from planescape.