Skip to content

Are rangers underestimated?

When doing Google searches for the NWN1 ranger I read a lot of negativity. Is this unfair?

First of all, a lot of the analysis of this class assumes you're going to be pidgeonholed into two weapon fighting. But the way I see it, TWF isn't mandatory. Whoever designed the ranger seemed to be suggesting that you either two weapon fight or utilize real armor. IMHO the latter is viable, I can't see any reason why you can't make an armored hulk who beats people down with a greataxe. you may not have rage or weapon specialization or buckets of extra feats, but you have a freaking bear.

Or you can utilize the two weapon fighting feats you get for free, spend your first couple level up feats on PBS/Rapid shot and spend most of your remaining levels on feats that support both your archery and TWF: Do called shot, Dodge/mobility, toughness, improved initiative, etc. even care if you're in melee or shooting? No. They just make your character better. Does favored enemy care? No. By level 20 it's 5 weapon focuses and 2.5 weapon specializations that will work on any weapon you pick up.

That brings me to another problem people have with rangers. Everyone says favored enemy is too situational. As a level 1 or even 15 player in a PvE campaign environment this is true. (When I fool around with Hordes of the Underdark I encounter elvee, dwarves, undead, giants, pixies and dragons within the first half hour. I only have four favored enemies). But for a high level server for PvP purposes I think the ranger is looking excellent with enough favored enemies to cover all playable races, with some left over for undead or dragons or outsiders (whatever you expect your opponents to be summoning or transforming into). Coupled with bane of enemies this looks extremely powerful for PvP.

A final note on the ranger's PvP potential: The ranger is a slightly trickier, more technical class than the fighter or barbarian. You can stealth, but you can't sneak attack so there's less of a quantifiable advantage. You can set traps, but that's an external thing and not a guarantee of dealing +X damage, particularly without planning. Generally speaking I feel like some of the ranger's advantages in combat are subtle and difficult to convey when you're theorycrafting for who can do the most damage or have the highest AC.

A bit of a ramble, but does anyone else feel like pure rangers are written off unfairly?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited December 2018
    Rangers are one of the better pure classes in NWN if you ask me. Panther companions are pure rogue class levels, that's a lot of sneak attack damage. And you can change companions every level if you want a more tank-y animal for the earlier levels. I actually tend to give my rangers a level of monk and sacrifice dexterity for wisdom so I can have Greater Magic Fang and not sacrifice AC. By the time you hit level 19, assuming you went pure and only took one monk level, your Greater Magic Fang is giving +5 all around bonuses, keeping your companion relevant.

In PVP or PVE you can really get kind of ridiculous by dual wielding kamas in flurry of blows mode with the free dual wielding perks you can from ranger and only taking one monk level. That's a lot of attacks, the most you can get in-game in fact. If you have elemental damage kamas or Bane of Enemies or Devastating/Overwhelming Critical this is even better.

• Lightmaker89Lightmaker89 Member Posts: 14
    ...Wow. didn't realize flurry of blows and two weapon fighting stacked.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Rangers were done much better and less awkwardly in NwN2.
    Because it gave them Two-Weapon Fighting or Archery paths.

In NwN1 they're in an awkward spot where for some reason you get Medium Armor but you can't use it with Dualwield (wat).

Yeah Flurry and Dualwield (or the Two Weapon Fighting feats) stack, so Monk1/Ranger is a good multiclass with Kamas only.

I am not sure that pure Ranger is that good but it makes a great base for Prestige Classes.
    Ranger/Monk, Ranger/Blackguard, Ranger/Assassin, Ranger/Shadowdancer, Ranger/Weapon Master with Kukris or even Monk1/Ranger9/Assassin.
    Rogue/Ranger1 (so you get free Dualwield which is very very useful for a Rogue).

Imho, pure Ranger is kind of underwhelming and underdeveloped in NwN1.
    If you do use them pure and with melee weapons, it's better to raise Strength, because you lack extra source of damage (like Sneak Attack), go Shadowdancer 1 and you can Hide in Plain Sight for "defense".
  • SuperFunHappySuperFunHappy Member Posts: 44
    One of the things I feel makes Rangers underpowered are the spells they get. I didn't really feel that any of the spells they got were useful, at least in my opinion. When I beat the OC with my ranger I had stats swapped from Wisdom and invested it to make 13 DEX and CON 16.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I haven't played a ranger in a while but I remember that a human ranger could pick exotic proficiency+ weapon focus feat and (in the OC) make use of two bladed weapons at level 1 . Also, with a ranger it's advisable to get 2 rogue levels for evasion and keep progressing your hide/move silently to get a shadowdancer level , that way you got a fighting character who's got strategic defensive abilities . Also, by using light armor you could also invest in parry skill.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Ranger/thief can be quite powerful. Pure ranger not so much but not terrible
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    Rangers weren't implemented properly. Anything a Ranger can do, you'll find another class or class combo can do better. Their only saving grace is when you couple many Favored Enemies with Bane of Enemies. To do that effectively, you need a crap ton of Ranger levels. There is no middle ground.

Also, they do have a great skill set, but they lack the skill point capital to gain return on such investments.

My typical rangers usually are strength based, usually acquire heavy-armor proficiencies, and then use their spells to sneak about undetected. I tend to favor trap crafting and trap setting, and will usually multiclass a few levels into a Rogue, Bard or something with Tumble/UMD.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    It's not that ranger is a bad class but in almost all cases a multiclassed fighter is better, you just purchase the feats with bonus feats, and you get access to specialization too. The skill points they get are fine, only rogue, bard, and shadow dancer get more based on their class, but the focus for most players isn't on skills, typically you only need a few in NWN.

Monte Cook's ranger was an improvement in the vein of a more general survivalist and the basis of the 3.5 ranger revision, rather than a wilderness warrior. The interesting thing is that he later came out with another alternative ranger but went back to d10 hd and removed combat styles and some of the special abilities in exchange for a bonus feat every 4 levels.
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2018
    Rangers are used in pvp mainly for their high direct damage, access to spot & discipline skill, set trap, free 2weapon feats, camouflage spells , purge invisiblity wich removes concealment on improved invisiblity. I've seen them mixed with monk class, rogue/SD (mainly for epic dodge), or RDD. rangers are one of the most popular class in PvP systems that banned true seeing spell.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    If you've got the improved AI mod installed then most creatures will make use of their Hide skills, so unless youve got high spot and listen skills you might be ambushed quite a lot. In this matter I'd say that rangers shine!
  • DarkShinobiDarkShinobi Member Posts: 15

One of the things I feel makes Rangers underpowered are the spells they get. I didn't really feel that any of the spells they got were useful, at least in my opinion. When I beat the OC with my ranger I had stats swapped from Wisdom and invested it to make 13 DEX and CON 16.

If you get Ranger + Assassin, you can use the Ultravision spell combined with Darkness from the Assassin prestige class and you get free sneak attacks on your targets while they can't target you inside Darkness.

But still, I know what you mean, and I agree, since I'm talking about only one spell from Ranger's list, when most of the spells should be more useful in a wide range.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    badstrref said:

Rangers are used in pvp mainly for their high direct damage, access to spot & discipline skill, set trap,HIDE ,MOVE SILENTLY free 2weapon feats, camouflage spells , purge invisiblity wich removes concealment on improved invisiblity. I've seen them mixed with monk class, rogue/SD (mainly for epic dodge), or RDD. rangers are one of the most popular class in PvP systems that banned true seeing spell.

fix'd
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2018

badstrref said:

Rangers are used in pvp mainly for their high direct damage, access to spot & discipline skill, set trap,HIDE ,MOVE SILENTLY free 2weapon feats, camouflage spells , purge invisiblity wich removes concealment on improved invisiblity. I've seen them mixed with monk class, rogue/SD (mainly for epic dodge), or RDD. rangers are one of the most popular class in PvP systems that banned true seeing spell.

fix'd
    yes, and it's rare for a max BaB class to have hide/ms (another would be Arcane Archer). but it is often ranger/druid spells that makes a difference in hide/ms (also divine trickery clerics).

In my mod I have removed True Seeing, and provide all characters with keen-sense feat for free. (it's not RP though) ... this gives full room for rangers builds and generally speaking Csing mechanics

• neludzneludz Member Posts: 23
    From the point of powergaming ranger is weak, sorry. In official campaigns and even in most of modules you can rollface with crazy builds like half-orc bard/wizard, but on shards you'll feel it very fast)
    Aaezil said:

Ranger/thief can be quite powerful. Pure ranger not so much but not terrible

No, your AB will be too low.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2018

...Wow. didn't realize flurry of blows and two weapon fighting stacked.

@Lightmaker89 That has been the main ingredient to the recipe known as "The Monk Exploit" since munchkins discovered it in Vanilla NWN Classic v1.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Exactly what @neludz said.

It heavily depends on environment of course. Ranger is quite strong for PvP as a hide-focused build but that álso only works if there is no true seeing.

In PvE, after level 20 ranger is missing a lot of AB. If the module is balanced around RDD characters and WMs, ranger will be missing AB. He has good damage but that requires a lot of dedication, you need to take 25 levels to get +6 dmg and it will only work on 6 races. Fighter has the same benefit for 4 levels and unconditional. Bane of Enemies helps a bit but just a bit.

Anyway, if you are playing official campaigns or some fan-made singleplayer modules, you will rarely have a problem. Their dificulty is usually quite low - at least compared to the multiplayer standarts. When players talks about class balance and which class is weak and which is strong they mostly using a standard lvl 40 multiplayer environment in consideration.
    Many years ago, my first online build was something like elf ranger/weapon master/shadowdancer with longswords) At first i've tried this guy in HotU, and he was sooo powerful)
  • SnafulatorSnafulator Member Posts: 27
    Rangers can be powerful when built right but it's very easy to create a ranger who gets their ass handed to them. They tend to be weaker than a fighter/rogue on high magic servers and the animal companions tend to die quickly against multiple enemies. On my server i ended up adding some buffs to greater magic fang to give +AC to companion and a minor +ab/dmg bonus to caster.