Skip to content

Items with useful charges

Of course there are items like Ring of Gaxx, which are a no brainer for every playthrough, but I recently came across a sword that has mirror image charges, which is great for my Fighter/Mage.

Is there a list of useful items such as that sword that I can look into? I know there is also a necklace late game that gives improved haste. Makes soloing with a non-mage a little more fun when you know what items to look out for.

Comments

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Three things I find useful for soloing early game is the horn you can upgrade to summon a berserka, the Kithix (spider) summon ring and the genie summon lamp.

They all give you a bit of help to get enemies to focus away from you when you are on your own. Though I never play as a mage, so perhaps that's why I grab them as soon as I can.

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I've read about a staff somewhere that has a combined Fireball/Lightning Bolt spell. Sounds fun and unique.

I've read about a staff somewhere that has a combined Fireball/Lightning Bolt spell. Sounds fun and unique.

That's the "Staff of Thunder and Lightning."

At the Druid Grove where you meet Faldorn

The name is kind of self explainatory. :D
    But I think you might have to be or have a druid in party for it to be given to you (really not sure about that).

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Nay, that's actually the Staff of the Magi. ;)

From the in-game description:

This type of staff is thoroughly linked to the image of the spellcasting profession, rare though it is. It is among the most powerful tools that a wizard can possess, the culmination of complex enchantments and endless study. This particular example is good in melee, grants invisibility, and offers protection from charms and evil. It can also cast Spell Trap and Dispel Magic and launch a Fireball-Lightning Bolt combination. The quintessential Mage item.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/items/long-swords.php

This is my go-to source for all item related info. Simply select which category of item you're interested in and you can see a list of all such items along with their properties and locations.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    The staff of thunder and lightning can call lightning and lightning bolt. I think you only get it if your main character kills Faldorn.

Namarra has three charges of Silence 15’ Radius and can be gotten early. It helps with all of those beginning quest’s shamans and low level, low lifes.

Ras is early and gives a brief dancing sword.

Daystar is not exactly easy to get early without using a pro dead scroll but casts Sunfire.

All three of the elemental staffs summon an elemental. Air staff also casts stinking cloud, good for use with skellies or chaotic commands. Fire staff also casts fire shield red.

Sewer cloak at the very least can go troll once a day and regenerate.

Ring of the Ram is really nice and can be stolen early. Probably one of the most undervalued items.

Two Sandthief rings and ring of air control, invisible and improved invisible.

Ring of energy or whatever they are calling it now.

Necklace of missles.

I think that is all of the early stuff.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    I've started to use as many mods as i can get my hands on that have extra or custom items, preferably ones that add in upgrades so there's more stuff to seek out. There's so many i can't keep track, everytime i go to Cromwell after clearing a quest/dungeon there's something new popping up :smiley:

Currently using:

Improved Archer
    Dakkon upgrade
    Item Upgrade
    SCS
    Tweaks
    Unofficial Item Pack

Using EE-Mod-Setup Tool as the installer.

Nay, that's actually the Staff of the Magi. ;)

From the in-game description:

This type of staff is thoroughly linked to the image of the spellcasting profession, rare though it is. It is among the most powerful tools that a wizard can possess, the culmination of complex enchantments and endless study. This particular example is good in melee, grants invisibility, and offers protection from charms and evil. It can also cast Spell Trap and Dispel Magic and launch a Fireball-Lightning Bolt combination. The quintessential Mage item.

SotM is so over powered....I love it. :D

I remember one playthrough in particular where I picked it up earlyish then for some reason, my NPC kept on getting charmed. I seemed to spend a lot of time going around bashing them with it then running away.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Two rechargeable items that I'm finding particularly useful for my f/m in my current SoA/ToB game are the Rod of Absorption and the Wand of Spell Striking. Basically they enable him to buff and de-buff in the middle of a fight whilst still wearing armour.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I am quite fond of the Namara longsword. It is special because it casts a party friendly version of Silence. Easy to find and with 3 charges per rest it is definitely a good item that is often overlooked.

The staff of thunder and lightning can call lightning and lightning bolt. I think you only get it if your main character kills Faldorn.

You will also get the staff if Jaheira kills Faldorn.