Skip to content

Mage

IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
New PT player here. I have some questions regarding learning the arts/becoming a mage and its effects:
1. What would happen to my "excess experience points" as a fighter? I am at level 6 but with experience points already sufficient to level up to 7. I have around 5k excess exp points as I chose not to level up yet.
2. Relatedly and more importantly, would I be considered as level 7 fighter or level 6 fighter if I become a mage upon completing Mebbeth's quests? The reason why I am asking is I am more interested after all in having double specialization which I just found out that both level 7 and 12 must be from the same class. Meaning, I want to have a level 6 fighter only.
3. What would be the effect with respect to "unused proficiency points"? Can I still distribute them later on?

Thanks.
Post edited by Illustair on

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2018
    Switching classes through Drakkon, it appears that my excess experience points sticks with the fighter class. What a waste.

But I guess that means that I am to be considered as a level 6 fighter (unless I choose to level up as 7 with my excess exp pts), so that means I can still double specialize as a mage, yes? Thanks.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hi
    You can't transfer XP when changing class, but if you switch back to fighter at some point the XP will still be there .

You can switch class at any time as long as there's somebody to teach you. The only skills that you can make use while in another are thac0 and (I dont remember) probably weapon specialization , as long as your current class remains at least one level ahead .

For instance: you were fighter 6 (thac0 15, specialization) and you switch to mage , so your thac0 and (probably) weapon skills will be those of a mage until you reach level 7 , then you'll enjoy the benefits of having the combat skills of a level 6 fighter while advancing as mage. You won't be able to use weapons that only a fighter or thief can use, though.
    edited December 2018
    Thanks. Figured that might be the case; that PT has a unique class leveling system different from BG/NWN. I'm starting to like it though.

If I can keep my combat skills, I guess it's not a bad idea to have fighter level at 13 then mage all the way so as to have level 5 weapon proficiency (dagger), right? Or is it? I know PT isn't really about the combat, but I have the feeling that TNO would turn out to be a very special being really powerful both in melee and magic (don't spoil it for me though hehe). Simply put, this is partly powergaming and roleplaying. In other words, would that build severely affect my mage class (I am thinking that that delay due to those few fighter levels won't be a big deal esp when there's practically no level cap; that maybe I can grind somewhere if I must to fill up the "gap" so to speak)?

Edit: Btw, I already have very high wisdom (23) and int (17), plus there are other ways to increase them permanently or temporarily, so I think that much is covered. The only thing bothering me is the tattoo that doubles the levels 1 and 2 spells which is limited only to double-spec mages. Seems overpowered... (drooling)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Illustair said:

Thanks. Figured that might be the case; that PT has a unique class leveling system different from BG/NWN. I'm starting to like it though.

If I can keep my combat skills, I guess it's not a bad idea to have fighter level at 13 then mage all the way so as to have level 5 weapon proficiency (dagger), right?

Well, Illustar , the thing is:
    1- If you just play the game naturally until the end it is unlikely that you'll be able to reach 13 fighter and then level 14 mage.

2-If you really want to , what you can do is venture around the sewers in clerk's ward *solo* (just leave your companions outside and then come back to pick them up). There are creatures worth 8000 xp there and they respawn every 24h , so it's the only way to farm xp in the game. Torment has a level 30 xp cap so you can do it forever. (the creatures are tough, tho)

3- On the other hand, you don't really need that much combat expertise , even as a fighter / mage, because most of the creatures in the game have accessible AC, I mean , a fighter 7/ mage with a decent dagger could easily hit most of the enemies in the game.
    edited December 2018
    Thanks DJKajuru, that answers most of the questions I had in mind. Also, the tattoos unlocked through specialization are unfortunately class restricted. Meaning, even if I grind as a mage with fighter at 13, I won't be able to take advantage of the supreme warrior tattoo as a mage. Otherwise stated, it would be double spec mage + tattoo of the art (as a mage with F6) vs. double spec fighter without tattoo of the supreme warrior (as a mage with F13). I guess I have to settle with powerful mage with decent melee roleplay/build instead.

Side note: I noticed that the NW Hive's Abishai located at the arch/edge of screen respawns and gives a not so difficult 7k exp! There seems to be no penalty on alignment. I hope not. Edit: This isn't something new after all.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited December 2018
    Yes that's right, the abishai are the most common way to farm XP in the early to mid game, you just have to make sure you have a weapon that can hit them.

As to your "wasted" XP, there are certain points in the game where you may want to switch classes to open up dialogue options that would otherwise be unavailable. (Don't get me wrong, the fighter XP would still be mostly wasted, just not quite completely wasted.)
    Post edited by jsaving on