Skip to content

NWNX

Comments

• LiarethLiareth Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2018
    @Themicles

1. True. I wrote NWNX code for Arelith using my own framework (which has now been dubbed NWNX:EE, or Nixie, depending on who you ask). I did not contribute my code to the main repository because it was incompatible. I (re)wrote everything from scratch for fun, and because I thought it could be done in a safer and more future-proof way.
    2. True.
    3. No.
    4. No.
    5. "Last known maintainers" is as little wishy-washy. I presume you're talking about virusman, who is involved indirectly with this project, or niv, who is involved directly with this project. Or you might be referring to one or more of the many others who contributed over the last ten years and continue to contribute to the 1.69 project- or how about those with their own private branches - or maybe those who worked on the Windows version, which is its own entity? The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think "brand loyalty" applies here. NWNX is just a framework to allow developers to write their own plugins. I don't own it, and neither does virusman or niv or any of the other developers who have worked on it in the past - it's an open-source community project that belongs to nobody.
  • XilanthusXilanthus Member Posts: 14
    Liareth - Would you be willing to share your NXNX:EE. I’m really needing to use a MySQL DB for my PW.

• squattingmonksquattingmonk Member Posts: 59
    See the first post in this thread. The code can be found at https://github.com/nwnxee/unified.
  • HillyanHillyan Member Posts: 22
    Where can i found a windows version? I use nwnx for subraces and legendary levels and i would like to convert my pw from 1.69 to ee!
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Windows is a work in progress. You may want to check into the discord channels mentioned above. I believe for the time being @Sherincall is trying to get a windows nwnx-lite (sql only) implemented; if you need more advanced features, it will be some time for that problem to be tackled.

-Dave
    Thanks!
  • dTddTd Member Posts: 182
    edited April 2018
    Wonderfull news, now any chance to get sqllite support? And no one has vcruntime140d.dll unless you have a development version, maybe you could include it? nvm, I see it requires all of visual studio, to be honest I'm not a programmer so I'll have to wait till you get a release version out :)
    Post edited by dTd on
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Bundling the dlls seems like a poor choice. You just need to download the vs2007 (vc140) redistributable package, x86 (32bit) version.

sqlite might come later, but I'd first be adding it to core nwnx:ee, and then port over to nwnxlite.
    Ok, so I DL the linux binaries, is there some way to actually start it? I tried running the .jar but it threw an error.
  • LiarethLiareth Member Posts: 74
    The readme file (README.md) contains instructions on how to run and configure it: https://github.com/nwnxee/unified/blob/master/README.md
    Thanks, yeah I got it going :)
    Any news for nwnx for windows? Now i use also nwncx and i don't know what to do to host also in EE my mod:)
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    edited July 2018
    If Beamdog was really serious about this game they should not have released it on Steam without their own version of NWNX and at least to some extent updated textures and models...
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    The "x" in NWNX stands for "extender". By definition, it is meant for handling things outside the scope of the NWN base game, and will never be "official" - if it were official, obviously it would be a part of the game, and you wouldn't need an "extender" ;)

Rather than pushing for an an official version of "RL developers hack game for weird hobbies and share the love", you'd be better off considering what actual features you want in the base game and campaign for those specifically. Some will probably make it in eventually as people go along, more may be buried beneath mountains of jackhammering work to be done first (eg UI overhaul), other things may just never be considered appropriate for core for a variety of reasons. Some may already be implemented, WIPs, or are in discussion on roadmap.

It's easier to talk about what people want out of those different features (and if needed, could they achieve something people want to do a different way than what they think they want?) than "we want NWNX only branded" though, you know?

(All that said, I find comments like "if they were really serious about this game they would..." difficult, because everyone who says that seems to have a different item that would have "proven" they were serious, without which they have done "practically nothing" somehow.)
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2018
    Any movement/update toward a fully windows nwnxee?
    All I would ever need is basic char-deleter and a watchdog, not possible by beamdog as base nwn feature?
    Post edited by badstrref on
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2018
    badstrref said:

Not for the near future. It's possible (but not confirmed or promised) that Windows work may be picked back up at some point after the 64bit update. Docker is a well-supported alternative for hosting on Windows + nwnx, though.

Not a nwnx dev, just lurk a lot.
  • badstrrefbadstrref Member Posts: 124

badstrref said:

Not for the near future. It's possible (but not confirmed or promised) that Windows work may be picked back up at some point after the 64bit update. Docker is a well-supported alternative for hosting on Windows + nwnx, though.

Not a nwnx dev, just lurk a lot.
    workarounds, terrible
  • shadguyshadguy Member Posts: 154
    Unpaid volunteer work, wonderful!
  • dunahandunahan Member Posts: 139
    One question, does perhaps a plugin exist, that supports reading/writing to ini files?
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    No such plugin exists currently. You're free to request it on github. I recommend also explaining your use case as that might help getting it prioritized, or someone might even know of a better solution.
    edited November 2018
    I do have some sources from the nwnx2 windows version (Terra777) on GitHub. I am using it as a alternative to sql, when only little things should be stored externally (like vars or texts) and be changed on the fly by editing the ini file.
    Would it be possible for a not so quite good coder like me, to convert that into a port for nwnx:ee (I hope you know what I mean)?
  • DeviC3DeviC3 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2018
    Hi, can someone help me with one issue?
    In this line "Add nwnxlite.nss to your module. The API is compatible with the aps_include.nss available for NWN 1.69"
    Where I should add my script in module ? As include of aps_include.nss? Or edit aps_include.nss and replace this functions? Or something else?
    @DeviC3:
    This is easier :wink: Open your mod, go to your game folder and look into modules. There should be a tempX (where X is a number) copy the nwnxlite.nss to this place.
    Do a little change to your mod and save it.
    I'm running server on VPS and there arent temp0 like on my local machine
    No wait... When you open the module in the toolset. Not when running within the server.
    The nwnxlite.nss is a script, a library with functions to forward infos to nwnx:ee.
    edited December 2018
    Ok I know...nwnxlite cannot connect to mysql (version 8) but server is running and now I have no idea why it cant connect to database.
    Post edited by DeviC3 on
    Okay, then it's time for @Sherincall ;) or ask for help on their discord. For myself, I don't use MySQL...
    It works, I dont like mysql...i hate it but I havent any choice...but now server is running, thx for help
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    NWNX is truly amazing and the persistent world community lives and breaths by it.

Thank you for everything!

However, I was wondering if someone could perhaps answer a couple of questions I have had for a decade now?

I have heard repeated many times to "Don't use the Bioware database because it bloats because it doesn't properly delete entries" but that's all the detail I have ever received.

So if I may inquire:

What exactly is borked with the Bioware DB and to what extent?

Does the server OS have an impact?

Could it be used in a PW if I were just using simple Boolean functions or is it just a mess?

Is there documentation of the problem somewhere?

Thanks,

:)