Skip to content

Did you hardcode the engine to limit 17 bones per skinmesh?

ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
edited December 2017 in Technical Support
Subject says it all. I have tested skinmesh with 18 bones and they have compiled and do not cause crashes. I just think it would of been nice if you let us know. I guess the professional Team of DLA has done the same thing Halaster model has 18 bones and now has a third foot in it model in EE version. I left a message in CC forums so people can check their skinmesh models and fix them.
Post edited by ShadowM on

Comments

• NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    Bump. I'm curious to know about this too. A friend of mine went to school for animation/rigging and is interested in coming back to the NWN community to see what he can do with the animations.
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Was this a new limit added to the system, because this does not affect the same models in 1.69?
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    I'm necro'ing this post because it has a dev comment pertaining to the issue...

It certainly appears that there is a 17 bone limit on skinmeshes now; any bone beyond that is ignored by the engine. I've tested and reliably duplicated the issue, but I haven't seen any comment on whether the team is aware of the problem or not. I haven't been totally attentive on the boards of late, so if there's something I've missed that renders this old news, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Yes, it is "old news". The issue is understood and will be fixed in one of the future patches, likely with the changes to enable 64bit.
    JuliusBorisovdunahan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    The 17 bone limit has been a long-standing limitation of Neverwinter Nights. We’re working on expanding the bone limit, and that will be included with the 64-bit update for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/12/december-14-2018-livestream-recap.html @Ancarion
    dunahan