Skip to content

Online Card Games

ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
Does anyone know any decent free-to-play card games out there that DON'T require Steam? I've got a bad cardgame itch and can't support the hobby irl.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Depends on what you categorize as decent, really. IIRC you should find literally tons of card game for iOS and Android. All of them which should be either free-to-play (yet involving lots of grinding and farming) or with optional ingame stores. One could argue that Fate/ Grand Order, Shadowverse and Grandblue Fantasy are some of the most successful ones out there for instance.

Then there is GOG's Gwent. But beyond that? Your best bet is indeed steam if you're looking for PC card games.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, I just have a pc (no smart phones or the like.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    There's Magic the Gathering Arena. I'm not sure if I recommend it or not, but I play it frequently. There's no communication besides limited emotes, but you sometimes get a lot of jerk players using $100 netdecks depending on what time of day you play. There's definitely a trend of "Oh, well this Twitch streamer said these cards are good, so I must do exactly as they say." However, as far as F2P grinds go, it's been surprisingly fair to me, it's just taken months of playing before I could do what I wanted. I bought the n00b Intro Pack, and I saw it turn out to be unneeded. If you want some rapid fire Kitchen Table Magic, it's a good solution. IDK, it's kind of middle of the road, but if you go in with the exact mindset of "I'm going to be strictly F2P, but persistent." it's not the worst video game ever.
    ThacoBell
    I am very persistent. I take great pleasure in completing F2P games without spending a single penny.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2018
    God I'm old. I read the post and was hoping to hear about some great site to play pinochle or gin rummy on. I'm going to try to teach my 11 year old daughter how to play cribbage over Christmas break. I sincerely doubt she's going to be as excited about it as I was at her age...
    ThacoBelldunbar
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2018
    I know you've said in the past you won't support Blizzard, BUT.....Hearthstone is very playable just by doing the daily quests for gold. You aren't ever going to ascend the ladder or rankings or anything, but it's completely possible to spend a hell of alot of time just unlocking all the basic cards for all 9 classes. After that, you can decide what you want to do. There are single-player adventures that do cost a decent chunk of change, but there is also a sort of "dungeon mode" that is against the AI that doesn't cost a thing. And of course, you can always find a duel with another player within about 30 seconds. I'm pretty sour on them as well at the moment, but I can't deny how polished the game is.

If you are willing to break your no Steam rule, I'd recommend both Dream Quest and Slay the Spire. Neither is free, but neither is more than $15. I have about $15 sitting in my wallet that I can't find a single thing to spend on (the Grim Dawn expansion is still a couple months away) so if you want to get ahold of me during the Winter Sale, if one of them drops in price I'd be happy to gift you a copy. Quite honestly, if there was any way to do so, I'd give away over half my Steam library at this point.
    ThacoBell
    @Kamigoroshi I'm pretty committed to GoG as a platform so I think I'll give Gwent a try.

@Dorcus I'm somewhat familiar with Magic's rules (I very briefly played it about 3 years ago) so its something to keep in mind.

@jjstraka34 That's a very kind offer, but my Steam boycott is a principles thing, so I'm not willng to cave there. I DID play Hearthstone for a about a month, but something about it never clicked with me.

Thanks for the suggests, guys. I have a couple things to start with thanks to you.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Yes!

Check out Kongrergate.com and look for the game called War of Omens. It’s free to play and pretty decent. It is actually the only free to play games I said “here’s some money”

Kongregate has a a good selection of other card games that are indi and free to play as well as other simple flash and unity games, but be warned there is a lot of crap as well.

@Balrog99 check out cardgames.io it has a great selection of classic card games with crappy ‘90s version graphics. It’s where I go when I have a rummy/cribbage/euchre itch.
    Balrog99ThacoBell
    Had a "fun" issue with Gwent. It seemed like my laptop would randomely stop charging when I play it. Turns out that my third party adapter isn't fully compatible (not enough watts) so too energy intensive programs drain the battery faster than it can charge. I'll have to stick non graphic intense games.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Not a card game but for turn based fun I got Pokemon Showdown.
    ThacoBell
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I'm not a TCG player, but here is one I've heard of: https://www.magicandempire.com
    ThacoBell
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    YGOPRO dawn of a new era
    @Wormking Um, what now?
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    ThacoBell
    @Wormking OOOOOOOOH. I actually played Yugioh for years. Then my entire deck (which I spent that entire time building, I only had the one) got banned. I've been salty ever since.
    Having quite a bit of fun with War of Omens.
    deltagoGusinda