Skip to content

Need better AI and/or options on henchmen & familiars in OC, SoU, and HotU

RannRann Member Posts: 168
edited July 2018 in Official Campaigns
Noticed a few things on my OC, SoU, and HotUplaythroughs that I forgot the first time I played this way back when:

(1) There needs to be a way to tell henchmen not to use spells. Xanos is driving me crazy shooting negative energy blasts over and over at undead, which actually heals them, or using up all of his spells on spell-resistant critters like slaadi. There needs to be a way to tell him "just use your weapon." Fighting slaadi in HotU is an unnecessary pain because he's basically nonfunctional because of this limitation (when he's actually pretty effective when using his blade), and my poor little rogue can't do it all by himself. (Better yet, some henchman code that says "don't use negative energy on undead," "don't use spells on spell-resistant creatures," etc.)
(2) There's no way to tell familiars to not go into bash mode if I fail to open something. I had to train myself to follow every attempt at opening a chest with "Follow me" aimed at my familiar to keep him from going at it before Tomi could.
BelgarathMTHCerabelus

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    there have been many discussions about this, and i believe something may be in the works on improving AI and the such
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    OR we could just have FPC and save ourselves from those and many other problems.
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Try community patch for NWN:EE.

I am not sure if it will solve all your issues but it will help a lot. It would also be possible to improve the AI for next release based on your feedback.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Shadooow Is the link you provided in this thread the one to the latest release of Community Patch? Currently, I have Release Candidate 5 installed. Is this an update?
    edited December 2018
    Yes thats the last one. I had to check myself because I was gone from NWN for almost year and forgot where I left at...

However there will be new release soon.
    Prince_Raymond
    That's very good news indeed, Mr. Shadooow. I'm looking forward to the latest release of Community Patch. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    There was a rumor last year that Beamdog was going to make NWNEE more like BGEE/BG2EE by letting players control other party members. Wouldn't recommend waiting on that but would be nice if it happened.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    @Shadooow - soo, how soon for the update ? :) 
    Note - I've started a new OC with the Community Patch, loving the new AI & Henchmen inventory management.
    @Aranthys What's this? The Community Patch let's you manage your henchman's inventory in the OC (Wailing Death Campaign)? Does this mean you can upgrade their equipment now? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    You can upgrade their equipment, however - And I don't know if it's a bug with the current community patch, upon level up, any and all items that you'd have provided them are beeing erased as the NPC is replaced with it's levelled up version.

Easy way to circumvent the issue is to retrieve items before leveling up, and then, providing them back the items... but it's not ideal (@Shadooow .. any insight  ? :)
    Prince_Raymond
    Aranthys said:

Easy way to circumvent the issue is to retrieve items before leveling up, and then, providing them back the items... but it's not ideal (@Shadooow .. any insight  ? :)
    Yeah I know about it and I think I warned against this in the PC Widget tool. I suppose it can be workarounded, but there is still a problem of going between campaigns which is probably not.

I am about to release new version though and this will not get there due to time constraints.
    Prince_RaymondAranthys
    edited February 2019
    @Shadooow It's all good, sir. I'm currently enjoying the stable release of the Community Patch that's out now. I just had to remove the hand model files from the ovr folder to set them back to their default look. Seeing as how I enjoy playing an unarmed combatant, I actually prefer the "Fists of Doom". Although, I look toward the day when characters can open and close their hands in the base game. To see my multi-class monk delivering a palm strike to his opponent, or putting him in a Muy Thai clinch before driving his knee into him would be really cool. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.