Skip to content

Iteams to increase str for Viconia

13»

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

Grond0 said:

Looking at the 2nd edition books, elven chainmail is described as made from a mithril alloy rather than pure mithril. Even unenchanted elven chainmail is described as magical - reflecting the secrets of the elven smiths - and that explains why spells can be cast when wearing it. Drizzt's mithril armor would appear to be something different - perhaps forged by dwarves - and this presumably explains why spells can't be cast while wearing it.

No, Drizzt's mithril armor is DEFINITELY forged by dwarves, specifically one of Clan Battlehammer's armorers while they held Mithril Hall. Forgotten Realms wiki cites it as being in "Siege of Darkness" by R.A. Salvatore.
    I'd imagine that much like his swords, Drizzt's had multiple suits of armor throughout his journeys, so you'd also have to consider where the games take place on the timeline.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited January 2019

Grond0 said:

Looking at the 2nd edition books, elven chainmail is described as made from a mithril alloy rather than pure mithril. Even unenchanted elven chainmail is described as magical - reflecting the secrets of the elven smiths - and that explains why spells can be cast when wearing it. Drizzt's mithril armor would appear to be something different - perhaps forged by dwarves - and this presumably explains why spells can't be cast while wearing it.

No, Drizzt's mithril armor is DEFINITELY forged by dwarves, specifically one of Clan Battlehammer's armorers while they held Mithril Hall. Forgotten Realms wiki cites it as being in "Siege of Darkness" by R.A. Salvatore.
    I'd imagine that much like his swords, Drizzt's had multiple suits of armor throughout his journeys, so you'd also have to consider where the games take place on the timeline.
    Magical Mithril wouldn't degrade. As of three books ago (out of, like, over a dozen) he still has it.

@Grond0 I doubt the armor is "just" the shell. Padding would have to be added to the inside, it would need to be heated to work. The process of converting could add a little extra defense.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Conversely the process of converting could also reduce the defense ...

I was just commenting though that the Monstrous Manual specifically says that ankheg armor would be AC2. It just seems a bit strange to depart from that - particularly when the result is to make ankheg armor so close to the best unenchanted armor available in the game. I would have thought it would make more sense in game play terms to have ankheg armor fill the middle ground between full plate and plate mail.
    thief
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 45
    AC2 would do it for me. I'd like to be more 'excited' once I stumble upon Taurgosz Khosann.
    Loldrup
  • LillyOberonLillyOberon Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2019
    With his low 9 STR, Quayle can still equip the - light - Elven chain mail that allows casting arcane spells, that you get from killing Simmeon and his companions ( Dorn quest in Wyrm’s crossing) and a buckler and if you head directly to the Docks of Baldur city you can kill on the ship a mage to get bracers of Ogre Strength. Being a cleric/illusionist he comes with a sling and a club but cannot choose to equip darts and his original STR is to low to equip a mace.