Skip to content

Choice of clerics

ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
I enjoy planning playthroughs in my head and the parties I will travel with. There is a great choice of mages and fighters and I am happy with Imoen as a thief. Every time choosing the cleric to accompany the group is like eating a frog. I used to not mind Aerie but in recent years she has become an absolute pain. I could never stand Anomen, he is well written but it doesn’t mean I want to hang around with him. I play good, and whilst Jaheira is basically good, I tend to not take neutrals. I would really like to find better options eg in a mod but play on iPad. I guess my only hope is if they ever port Glint into bg2. Anyone else feel the same or who are your go to healers? Can I survive without one?
Post edited by ilduderino on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You can survive without ANY class. So go for it and experiment.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Rename this to healer. You can probably manage the entire game without one but I've always been a huge fan of druid, with or without kit it doesn't matter imo. I think dual or multi druid is a waste, as one of a druids strength is the ridiculously low cost per level with the insanely powerful strength of their insect and elemental summoning spells. They'll have access to lvl 7 druids spells super early and if you do a 5 man party it's even quick at which point the game breaks.

That said if you don't like their personalities have you considered at creation making a 2 character party? You have to do it near the very beginning of creation but there is a button called create party. If you wanted to strictly power game, make a multi cleric/war half ogre with flails and probably maces.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Well, Jaheira's personality is a lot closer to neutral good than true neutral so I wouldn't suggest shying away from her just because of her "official" alignment. She can also cast a couple of cleric-only spells including raise dead, and her ability to wear plate and use fighter HLAs makes her a solid choice for good-aligned parties. Just manually switch her official alignment to NG, or use one of the mods that does this, and you'll be good to go.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Not sure I can mod Jaheira’s alignment on iPad?

I like druids as a class (have taken them in IWD sometimes) but don’t like having neutrals in the party in BG which is why I haven’t taken Cernd and rarely take Jaheira
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    when i play single player non party made teams, i never care about a character's personality for my team, i go by "usefulness with the least amount of effort"

so when it comes to the "cleric" choice there really is only "2" or what i consider "cleric" type for me to choose from, and as it seems to be these days im leaning more towards aerie these times around ( maybe next month/year i might lean more towards anomen )

for me, i never use jaheira as my "healing" or back row "divine caster" if i have jaheira in the group, she is on the front lines, and she has all battle buff spells, as for cernd, i never use him anymore since the exploit was fixed with his natural weapon being able to be dispelled and being able to equip something that actually did damage, so cernd will forever be on the island of misfit joinable pcs and will never be used again, as for viconia i strictly only use her for evil teams, and i never change her alignment over to good, evil the whole way

although these days i make custom teams 90+% of the time only because i can make more interesting teams because you can only play the same joinable PCs so many times so this time around my team composes of:

cavalier ( melee)
    ranger ( melee )
    fighter/thief ( melee )
    cleric/mage ( ranged )
    theif/mage ( ranged )
    sorcerer ( ranged )

so worse case scenario you could always make another cleric for your team via the "create party" button ( you don't have to make 6 characters you can only make 2 if you want ) which is pretty much the same as having a modded cleric in game with the only thing being you can actually 100% adjust the stats and weapon proficiencies as you desire ( or even druid if you wish )
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Although a healer is handy for the early stages of SoA (although not strictly necessary because you can get the Ring of Regeneration very early on) by the time you can handle the first level of WK you'll have more healing potions than you know what to do with.

I take a cleric along mainly for Chaotic Commands and Negative Plane Protection (although if you have a Berserker in your party these aren't strictly necessary either).

Raise Dead is a useful emergency option, but one that I personally don't use.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    If you didn't know you can pick pocket a Ring of Regeneration of Ribald in the adventure mart. You'll want to use potions of thievery to raise your PP high enough. It's actually in his pockets, not on his list. From there healing becomes a joke.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i usually memorize 1 or 2 healing spells just in case, but seldom use them. i rely mainly on potions during the battle and regeneration items to recover after them. and i usually end the game with tons of not used healing potions. this playing insane on a game with difficulty enhancing mods.
    the ring you can pickpoket from ribald is really useful, but also items that have a slow regeneration rate like a certain ioun stone are useful as if you equip them while you travel from an area to an other they continue to work so they can heal completely a toon with a lot of hp to recover in every trip that lasts in game hours. take always with yourself every item that makes you regenerate and equip them as the party travels from area to area or when they are doing tasks that don't need that slots occupied by other more useful items.

i agree with @Wrathofrecca when he/she tells: "Rename this to healer", cleric is chaotic commands and other really useful party buffs, druid is insect spells and summons, both can heal but if that is their primary function probably they are misused and used at a fraction of their capability.
    i would be worried to run a party without a cleric and to some extent also without a druid, but as i told they almost don't memorize healing spells and very rarely use them. if i have a toon paralyzed and enemies that hit him i don't want my cleric to cast on him a healing spell that can make him survive few seconds more, i want him cast a spell that removes the paralysis so the toon can gulp a potion and run away or i want my mage to cast on the toon an invisibility spell so the enemies stop to hit him. if the cleric would have cast a spell that would have protected the toon from paralysis before he got paralyzed even better, but you can not fully buff every time and something bad can always happen. the main task of a cleric is to try to avoid that something bad happens and to avoid the death of a toon when it happens, healing is only an optional...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @gorgonzola Chaotic commands is not a cleric exclusive spell. Druids get it too. This comes up a lot, and I'm not sure why the misconception is so widespread.
    I'd argue clerics are best used for condition prevention/removal and druids for disabling enemy casters. Curing wounds isn't a necessary or even especially helpful way to use spell slots, at least in my view.
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    Well you have Viccy, Aerie and Ano as the clerics. I personally love Protection from Evil 10 and Remove Fear. The rest is just gravy, though I like to use True Sight and Animate Dead a lot, though you get some of AD with Edwin in the party.

I tend to go with Ano here due to liking him with Shield of Harmony and Mace of Disruption as the mainstay equipment on him. You just meet so many undead in this game. Viccy is worthless against the undead, sure she turns them for a little while to your side, but I don't want that. And you can't get anything else until TOB long into the romance with her.

I would go for a cleric over a druid personally as all druids have is Insect Plague, Creeping Doom and such spells. But they are nifty, not essensial. And I would actually value IP over CD due to CD lasting so short. Stuff like that is meant to distract not kill, and I would rather have a Deva or an elemental Prince to throw into the meatgrinder than spending lotsa time summoning forth CD as by then I prefer to be very mobile.
    IP and Iron Skins are good enough by themselves for me to take Jaheira over a cleric, though the mace of disruption is a strong weapon for sure.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I generally take the fourth option of "play Gorion's Ward as a cleric."

Advantages: ...are there any real advantages to doing this?
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    Fighter/cleric dual class maybe. I mean with one you would delete the need for like Ano and Korgan if you go for the berserker kit (and Anomen's wasted proficiencies like spear is annoying). I'm currently doing the math on how to set up a good/neutral aligned party for the 20 rep pop. Only disadvantage is that slings do very bad damage and you would be a mediocre tank due to not having hardiness. Only bad side I can see is that you must be human, lack of fighter HLAs and slings being just proficient if you go for the berserker route.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    if someones runs a party that levels up fast turn undeads is crazy powerful, make liches explode, clear whole dungeons or parts of them. the evil one is different but is just as powerful.

a F->C better then anomen is a really good idea, i personally have not problems in changing his own proficiencies as long as i chose legit ones, spears is not so useful, but sword and shield is the very ugly one, as for mlee it gives no benefits and against ranged there are a shield that reflects the arrows to the foe and so many other good ones.

about slings i disagree, a high enchanted sling with a high enchanted bullet used by a char with high str can be quite devastating, my buffed aerie hits for 27 dmg/hit, RM active, 25 str arvoreen sling and +4 bullet, with erinne's one is even more. a F->C dualed at 13 and optimized for sling (gm) has 3 apr, 6 when improved hasted, so can deal more than 150 dmg/round with the sling, few not archers can do better with a bow or xbow...
    and my aerie's thaco, late game, with sling is -12. all this with the regular equipment i give to her, on a dedicated build using all the best items you can get better apr, thaco and dmg than that.
    dualing before 13 means only to loose 1/2 apr as a cleric has a spell that gives him the thac0 of a fighter of the same level so the spell's thac0 will be better than the one from the fighter side from mid game on.
    the problem of a F->C is that he misses the +1 apr weapons, not really that he has to use a sling, when he uses a sling he really rocks...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think clerics are a bit of a let down in BG2 in general, either you aren't too good at the game and have to heal constantly (making clerics very very boring) or you use them as a lack-luster support caster and they only heal in emergencies (ie raise dead or restoration)/resting. Animate Dead is still good I suppose, Aerial Servants are a powerhouse, but unlike in BG1 where they are imho an easy solo through the primary campaign, clerics are just no fun in BG2. At lower levels clerics are great at controlling a fight, with Command, Hold Person, Silence, Animste Dead, and various other effective at low levels spells, but at BG2 levels many of these spells aren't worth casting even.

Druids are in contrast really great in late BG1 and throught BG2, and I'd advise using one instead, though with only a multiclass or shapeshifter, it can be hard to bother with one. An Avenger would have been nice!

Heck, get Rods of Ressurection even, you can even raise dead or completely heal on command. Potions and regen items are pretty useful in fights, so the healer is the easiest character to completely ditch and not notice, especially if you've got a berserker.