Skip to content

Late Game Cleric Proficiencies

I am performing some updates to the Baldur's Gate wiki and I am stumped as some of my assumptions on weapon proficiency may be incorrect.

The Cleric experience table has them gaining 12 proficiency points at the ToB XP cap. However, they can only place 10, right?

1. Flails/Morning Stars
2. Maces
3. Hammers
4. Clubs
5. Quarterstaves
6. Slings
7. Two-Weapon Style
8. Single-Weapon Style
9. Sword and Shield Style
10. Two-Handed Style

Shouldn't they be unable to reach level 36 if this is correct, since BG forces you to use pips? I remember this being an issue with some Ranger>Cleric duals.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited January 2019
    They can only place 10 and you are right that BGEE/BG2EE won't let you level up until you use all your pips. However, you stop accumulating pips once you've exhausted your proficiency options, so you can safely reach level 43 (8 million XP) as a 10-pip cleric.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Thanks jsaving. I ended up doing some testing on the latest EE version and it turns out:
    • Despite Clerics normally gaining 1 pip every four levels, they gain no pips at 36 and 40 to account for this very issue (so the table on the wiki was wrong and I've updated it).
    • At sometime during EE's patch cycle, this softlock was fixed. If you gain a pip and can't spend it, the game will allow you to complete leveling up (but forces you to spend pips that you are able to spend). Neat!
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    jsaving said:

They can only place 10 and you are right that BGEE/BG2EE won't let you level up until you use all your pips. However, you stop accumulating pips once you've exhausted your proficiency options, so you can safely reach level 43 (8 million XP) as a 10-pip cleric.

Doesn't the XP curve stop at 40 for a Cleric? The EXP curves for Cleric and Thief are under 8M by 40th, but then they shoot up to 8M for 40th (Namely, going from 6.975M to 8M for Cleric and 6.38M to 8M for Thief/Bard).

You are correct though that, were the progression to continue linearly as it does, it would be 43 by 7.875M and 44 at 8.1M exp.