Skip to content

Thieves and dual classing Imoen

PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
So you are doing a cannon(ish) party run through BG1 intending to go on to BG2 and so Imoen needs to be dual classed to a mage leaving a cannon party with no thief skills for most of the game.

How do you get round this?

1. Charname is a human thief and as soon as you have high enough pick locks and find traps, dual to whatever you actually want to be?
2. Dump Minsc and Dynaheir halfway through so you can recruit Safana and someone else?
3. As above but lose Jaheira and Khalid?
4. Spend the latter half of the game getting fried by traps?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    5. CHARNAME is a multiclassed FMT.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I would say (6) Have Imoen memorize Knock and invisibility for critical moments and avoid or resist traps with defensive spells.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Like @DJKajuru said for locks, plus you can have Jaheira 'Find Traps' and your tank (Khalid?, handy pair those two) set them off. His missus will rush in and provide some healing.

Gus
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Gusinda said:

Like @DJKajuru said for locks, plus you can have Jaheira 'Find Traps' and your tank (Khalid?, handy pair those two) set them off. His missus will rush in and provide some healing.

Gus

'Sides , if you've played the game before you probably know which areas are trap heavy and prepare accordingly. For instance, when I don't have a thief at Durlag's tower it's wise to have a couple of potions of magic resistance or even a scroll of protection from magic to set off traps and remain unharmed. Even a minor globe of invulnerability helps.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    DJKajuru said:

Gusinda said:

Gus

'Sides , if you've played the game before you probably know which areas are trap heavy and prepare accordingly. For instance, when I don't have a thief at Durlag's tower it's wise to have a couple of potions of magic resistance or even a scroll of protection from magic to set off traps and remain unharmed. Even a minor globe of invulnerability helps.
    That idea has some merit for areas full of traps - I've done the ice maze before by having a character with boots of speed and a protection from magic scroll run around setting off all the traps.

• JhaycenJhaycen Member Posts: 19
    A combination of #2 and 3. I move Dynaheir and Khalid into a building I never plan to enter again while the rest of the party stays outside, then I remove them from the party. I then proceed to recruit Safana or Coran and have one free spot for "guest" NPCs.
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    Another method of achieving that is to hack them to pieces yourself and then removing their corpse from your party. Yours is a bit more elegant and ethical I guess but it never gets old to me that you can use their own partner to kill them and dump their body in the middle of the road somewhere and they're completely fine with it :smiley:
    Lammas said:

Another method of achieving that is to hack them to pieces yourself and then removing their corpse from your party. Yours is a bit more elegant and ethical I guess but it never gets old to me that you can use their own partner to kill them and dump their body in the middle of the road somewhere and they're completely fine with it :smiley:

Khalid is clearly the sort of person who is bottling up a lot of accumulated rage from all the nagging and then one day he is going to snap and go postal.
    Jhaycen said:

A combination of #2 and 3. I move Dynaheir and Khalid into a building I never plan to enter again while the rest of the party stays outside, then I remove them from the party. I then proceed to recruit Safana or Coran and have one free spot for "guest" NPCs.

For some reason I keep forgetting about Coran, he's probably a lot more use than Safana. I'm thinking now that, unless charname happens to be some sort of thief, I'll take J&K as far as Nashkell, leave them there and use their free slots for Coran and Branwen. At least having taken J&K along for some of the game, it will make a bit of sense when J goes on about traveling with charname at the start of BG2.
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 45
    You said canon party, so "fried by traps" is my top bet.