Skip to content

Discussion concerning single class characters vs. dual/multi-class characters....

2»

Comments

• Thanks fresh
  • Think I am going to go with:

20th Level:

Bard 7,8/Assassin 7,8/Shadowdancer 5

I want Defense Roll, evasion, summon shadow, shadow evade from shadow 5

40th Level:

Bard 11(5th level spells, bardsong +2 to AC

Assassin 24

Shadowdancer 5

Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Mobility, Expertise, Improved Expertise, Improved Critical, 2 weapon fighting, ambidexterity, whirlwind attack, Great Dexterity path of feats, etc.

• Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited December 2018

Think I am going to go with:

20th Level:

Bard 7,8/Assassin 7,8/Shadowdancer 5

I want Defense Roll, evasion, summon shadow, shadow evade from shadow 5

40th Level:

Bard 11(5th level spells, bardsong +2 to AC

Assassin 24

Shadowdancer 5

Dodge, Weapon Finesse, Mobility, Expertise, Improved Expertise, Improved Critical, 2 weapon fighting, ambidexterity, whirlwind attack, Great Dexterity path of feats, etc.

If you really want defensive roll I would say stick to the original level distribution I suggested and take the 5th level of shadow dancer at 21. This way you aren't screwed out of BAB. So Bard 8/Assassin 8/ Shadow Dancer 4 and then Shadow Dancer 5 at 21. You also won't be able to cast 5th level Bard spells with the build as suggested unless you take some Great Charisma feats or devote some points to Charisma through leveling up (thus reducing your Dexterity potential) so be aware of that.

Obviously you can build as you please and perhaps you don't value BAB but I would say that is a mistake. It is far more difficult to improve AB than it is to improve AC in NWN. Every BAB lost is max potential AB lost. Granted in the official campaigns you aren't going to encounter AC's where that will be an issue but if you intend to play on a high end persistent world its something you should consider. A high AC means little if you can't hit anything because you tanked your AB through poor level distribution and using combat modes like improved expertise. A higher BAB means a higher overall AB which makes using improved expertise less punitive.
    Post edited by Nic_Mercy on
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    edited January 2019
    Nic_Mercy said:

Just to note, I don't remember if its different in NWN2, but NWN1's implementation of the parry mechanic is almost universally considered bad and most builds eschew using it. It ends up not parrying as many attacks as it should, which means it does less counter attacks than it should, assuming I remember correctly.

It's just as bad in NWN2, because they didn't change the coding. It was discussed on these boards much earlier; the issue is that if Parry worked as the description it would be too powerful; it was therefore deliberately nerfed* in the original game. There were various suggestions around how BD could change it to make it worthwhile.

* Attacks come in three flurries; Parry only works against the first attack in the flurry. The "Bug" (really nerf) is described in detail on the NWN2 Wiki and if you look at the NWN Wiki you can see the description is the same, but it's not called a Bug.

To be fair if your only desire is to avoid being hit, then Parry adds to your defences, but that doesn't help much when you take 7 rounds to land a hit yourself, and when you do, fail to penetrate the DR. ;)
    Nic_Mercy