Skip to content

Magma Mephit Hits After Death

I started a fresh game with SCS. I am in Irenicus's beginning dungeon and noticed that after I killed magma mephitis, I was still getting 1 hp fire damage per round. No enemies left in room. I removed all my metal armor, thinking that would solve it, but it did not.

Is there a reason I am getting damage?

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    pretty sure they use a weaker Agannazar Scorcher.
  • ataler_ohataler_oh Member Posts: 9
    But they are dead. How are they hurting me every round when I killed them all?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Agannazar-like effects work like this, it's the engine thing since original BGs. I'm not a programmer to be certain, but I suspect such behavior is very unfeasible to fix.
    Aedan
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited January 2019
    Think of poison behavior. You presumably wouldn't expect poison to stop damaging you just because you'd killed the original source of that. There are a number of such sources of continuing damage - like bleeding for instance.
    Aedan
    Boo. That kind of kills it for me. Poison at least notifies you with an icon, which provides me options to heal myself.

This damage is different because there is no heads up on why I am being damaged. It does not explain or provide measures to counter it, which takes me out of world.

I am trying to love this game, but may have to hang it up. I owned the original disks with cloth map back in early 2000s and desperately wanted to love this game. Things like this where I am questioning the rules of game keep taking me out of world. No where does fire damage work like this in game, so it must be a bug.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you turn on the battle text you will see the notification not only tells you the amount of damage, but the type of that - in this case fire. You can thus use any form of fire protection or immunity to help with that.

Technically the scorcher continuing damage is not because something has affected your character, but because the scorcher itself persists for a short period after its formation and you thus take damage from being in a flame - that's why there is no icon on your character.
    That is not clear at all. Damage type and amount is clear, but not the length of damage or why. Also, in log there is no history of an aganazar scorcher attack.

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    There is a mod (I think aTweak’s PnP Mephits?) that gives mephits more powers, the magma mephit getting a damaging aura that does fire damage per round. What happens is that the effect is not being properly removed when the creature is killed meaning the aura persists centered on the dead mephit. It won’t time out until the corpse has expired meaning you can only move away from the mephit’s body until you’re no longer in its range.
    ataler_ohAerakar
    Thanks, Aionz! I will remove that mod.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Or just re-check the documentation. Readme contains links to detailed overview of all the changes introduced by the mod.
    Yup, removing PnP Mephit corrected the issue.
    Borek
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2019
    Very strange. I've always had this component of aTweaks installed in all my runs but never saw this bug until my most recent playthrough; I wonder what changed? I have to suspect something about version 2.5 of the game, since the mod itself hasn't changed/been updated in 2 years.

It's an incredibly annoying and occasionally dangerous bug... I've tweaked RR#MMAHE.spl in my local install to allow a save vs spells to reduce the annoyance for now since I'm not versed enough to completely eliminate the effect only after the mephit's death. If anyone more knowledgeable wants to take a crack, by all means (untweaked version of the file attached); the mod author Avenger - who btw is a phenomenal modder and helped Beamdog work on EE scripting - doesn't seem to be currently active.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on