Skip to content

What became of Balduran?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
As much as I love SCS it's a little disappointing that players get to use this legendary man's gear throughout the saga but never actually encounter him...or his corpse..what became of him canonically?

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    If you want to find out on your own then speak to Mendas in Ulgoth's beard, otherwise:
    Balduran was shipwrecked on an island in the Trackless sea, which is inhabited by a pack of werewolves. They offered to let him and his crew live with them so long as they submitted themselves to lycanthropy, but Balduran refused and was killed fighting them... I think that's the complete story.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    I never thought much of it myself. We use Melf's Minute Meteors and Melf's Acid Arrow, but we never meet Melf. Staff of the Ram and Staff of Striking are alluded to have the same inventor, but I don't think we ever go about uncovering who that is. Larlock's Minor Drain, Montolio's Cloak, Hangard's Axe, Tenser's Transformation, the game is full of items and spells associated with people we never meet.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Considering he lived a long time ago and died far away there likely isn't much left of him to find.
  • xizorxizor Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2019

I never thought much of it myself. We use Melf's Minute Meteors and Melf's Acid Arrow, but we never meet Melf. Staff of the Ram and Staff of Striking are alluded to have the same inventor, but I don't think we ever go about uncovering who that is. Larlock's Minor Drain, Montolio's Cloak, Hangard's Axe, Tenser's Transformation, the game is full of items and spells associated with people we never meet.

Larloch is in the game in
    Hexxat's quest.

Montolio is Drizzt's mentor from the book Sojourn. This is set long before the events of the game, just after Drizzt left Underdark,
    and Montolio dies there.
    I also find it weird that his cloak gives bonus to dual wielding, since he wasn't fond of it and preferred a shield.
    xizor said:

Larloch is in the game in
    Hexxat's quest.

Montolio is Drizzt's mentor from the book Sojourn. This is set long before the events of the game, just after Drizzt left Underdark,
    and Montolio dies there.
    I also find it weird that his cloak gives bonus to dual wielding, since he wasn't fond of it and preferred a shield.
    Weirdly the Archer's Eyes once belonged to a blind archer, much like Montolio, but it's unclear if this was the same blind archer, or if this is a different one.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Strangely enough the blind archer is sort of an archetype. Also see Xachariah in PS:T.
    edited January 2019
    Ammar said:

Strangely enough the blind archer is sort of an archetype. Also see Xachariah in PS:T.

Didn't know about him. The archer's eyes have a number on them that I'm told is a PS:T reference so I bet they belonged to him.

Edit:
    The pair of eyes that form the charm of this amulet are old and petrified, and the numbers "331" are engraved on their sides. Rumor has it that the eyes' original owner was a blind warrior noted for his uncanny accuracy with a bow. The amulet seems to bestow some of these traits on its wearer.

I'm told 331 is "a reference to one of the Nameless One's deceased companions, who ekes out a miserable existence as Zombie 331 in the mortuary."

Could anybody maybe interpret this for me?

Edit2: http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Xachariah

After doing some research, the "Diseased companion" and Zachariah are one and the same, just at different points of his life/unlife. The amulet definitely belonged to him.
    Post edited by Chronicler on