Skip to content

Your biggest gaming disappointment? Mine is D3

124»

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    if you want a zelda style game thats actually an rpg play ys.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Zelda i believe that takes elements from so many genres that is hard to define. I wold classify then as adventures. But is truth that the new Zelda have problems with durability? I don't agree that durability should be removed like Jim said. I believe that depends the game. For example, on Fallou New Vegas weapons should have durability. On Dark Souls too. On Zelda should't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s

About Ys i searched since i never heard much about it and found on gog ( https://www.gog.com/game/ys_i_ii_chronicles ) is just not my style(not saying that is bad)

in past i had an awful opinion about jRPGs but changed my mind. Don't liked those that i've tested but i can't consider then bad since i can't know then well. I don't even know if there are any jRPG's that i will gonna like and will never play cuz will never be translated. Is like if i had access to Sword Art Online but not to other game animes like Overlord or Log Horizon. I will probably hate gaming based anime in that case... So yes, i was wrong when i've said things like "jrpgs are only about androgynous teenagers with oversized swords and no muscle to lift 1kg saving the world" without even spending time researching then or playing for a couple of time then. Sorry about that.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    If you want good JRPGs, definitely try to give the Suikoden series a look, and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1&2. Stylistically they are a bit different.

I am one of those guys with a history of liking Japanese games and anime, but I fricking hate most of it now because most of it is garbage and is nothing like the material that I took too in the first place. I also always thought Squaresoft were massively overrated. But I still hold out for the odd thing that might make me happy. I mean 2018 saw a new Devilman anime be made plus the manga got an official english release, so at least as a long term fan of that franchise it was the best year in some time.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I don't care about Ys as games but holy cow are their soundtracks good

About Ys i searched since i never heard much about it and found on gog ( https://www.gog.com/game/ys_i_ii_chronicles ) is just not my style(not saying that is bad)

i'm not a huge fan of the bump combat of ys 1 and 2 either. but the games in the 6 engine [ 6, Oath in Felghana which is a remake of 3, and origin.] and 7 are pretty good games.
    About my disappointment with DS 2, this video is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bzKAEbaYUA

I believe that every rule that applies to the player should applies to the enemy of the player. If the player suffer X in the situation A, the same should applies to the enemy. You can stag enemies on DS1 just like they can stag you. I din't liked how they handled this "fairness" and the stamina or sorcery. Same with immunities. See an fire demon not taking fire damage from a fire part in a arena is fair. But an corpse boss like Rotten boss taking no damage from fire is not
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Dark Souls 2 gets criticized for doing what most sequels do, which is branching out and exploring a larger world. The #1 criticism of it is it doesn't have a vertical interconnected level design. This ignores the fact that Dark Souls 2 is exploring the entire world of Drangleic, and that Lordran (such as it is) is basically nothing more than what is above and below Anor Londo. It's scope is the vicinity of one city, not an entire kingdom.

Comparisons to BG1 and BG2 are apt. Hardly anyone criticizes the sequel for not having an open-world wildnerness that takes up the majority if the game. It almost entirely focused on hubs accessible by the world map, which are essentially individual vignettes, which is exactly what Dark Souls 2's levels are. If you view the empty hallways connecting them as loading screens (which is basically what their function is), the real purpose begins to take shape.
    gta 5. while i enjoyed the game play alot. the story and pacing was a step down from gta 4 and it's expansions and red dead redemption.
    jjstraka34 Sorry for the lateness to awnser. I had no internet for a week, only an mobile awful connection and mobile touchscreen keyboard.

I strongly agree with your points but the major problem of DS2 is not that. Is the changes on stamina system, changes on magic system( a lot to listen but here is a link > https://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/38596748296578832/ ), soul memory, an system who heavily punishes someone who uses a lot of consumables like archers that needs to purchase a lot of arrows...