Skip to content

Ubuntu support

GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I will be interested. I hope you guys can add Ubuntu support to the list.

Comments

• GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    Valve is also coming to Ubuntu.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I'm not sure if you follow @TrentOster on twitter, but he has made mention of adding linux support, not sure about ubuntu specifically, but on 8 September he most recently made the comment:
    "I'm waiting on a review of the legal for a Linux version"
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    Still waiting on review. My Biz guy at Atari quit, so I'm dealing with someone new.
    -Trent
    edited October 2012
    Super sweet. BG is basically what got me into computers. Now that I've grown up a bit as far as becoming a programmer and what not I live in the Ubuntu/Linux world. I saw your post on twitter that's why I heard about this. Honestly I was still messing with GemRB. Any way, thanks for your work Trent. Hope to see it ported soon so I can spend this cash. Its burning a hole in my pocket and I got a bunch since I didn't have to pay for Windows or OSX haha.
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    Shouldn't need linux support. BG is listed as platinum in WINE, so I imagine BG:EE will also run perfectly in WINE.

Id
  • XavianXavian Member Posts: 5
    That's like saying you don;t need to have your car fixed because there's a bus stop near your home. WHile technically true, many of us would much rather be able to run the game natively. We're hoping that given the multi-platform support of this title, that Linux will be recognized as a valid platform and not disregarded as irrelevant.
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    I agree that native linux support would be best. As a person who's next computer is going to be a System76 laptop that I will wipe the HD and installl Arch linux on, I do hope it is native. However, I remain hopeful that no matter what, WINE will provide me the ability to play these games that I love. The BG series (including the first Icewind Dale) and the first two Age of Empires are the BEST games, and the only games I really play. Well, Halo: Combat Evolved.

Id
  • krzysztofikkrzysztofik Member Posts: 4
    I would also appreciate Ubuntu support.
  • krzysztofikkrzysztofik Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone tried installing BGEE in WINE?
    edited December 2012
    It probably works with WINE and if not it would work in a virtual machine and since its so light weight compared to today's standards I am sure it would be fine, but Ubuntu/Linux users want games as well and it is my understanding the over hauls made by overhaul games :D are PRO cross-platform. GemRB works on Ubuntu so don't see why they couldn't get that sucker working. .. well hopefully :D

One thing I am curious about is if I buy the Windows version and use it on Ubuntu will that make the business people in charge of the project think making an Ubuntu port/installer not worth while. Kind of a bad position for Ubuntu gamers. Let's just hope Steam can solve this odd issue and mean while we can still play the games we like because of awesome projects and people involved with WINE.

Crossing my fingers
    Any update on this? Anyone heard some news?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The Linux agreement draft was signed late in December according to Trent Oster's tweets.
    Awesome great news.
    So are we getting BG on Ubuntu any time soon? Thanks.