Skip to content

Near Infinity, item edit question.

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
edited January 2019 in General Modding
Greeting all,

I'm looking to edit the duration of the Bard Hat (BDHELM11 if I remember correctly) so the bards song will linger longer than 2 rounds. Is it possible to edit the duration of the effect from 2 rounds to, for example, 2 hours?

If so, how? Changing the 'duration' section from 200 to larger numbers hasn't had any effect. The NI is a little unclear on what it should be changed to and which sections need to be edited.

I'm fairly new to NI so learning as we go.

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    One of the fields of the modify duration effect (on the 4th row in NI) is called percentage and is set to 300%
    Bard song normally lasts 1 round. The Bard hat increases it to 3 rounds (hence 300%).
    Now, 1 turn is 10 round, which is 60 seconds, and one in-game hour is 5 turns ( 300 seconds, 50 rounds).
    So to increase the duration to 1 hour, you need to set this percentage field to 5000%. This should work.

The duration field depends on what you set in the timing mode and is ignored if you set the value to instant/while equipped or other non-time dependent timing modes.
    GusindaCaloNordlolien
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited January 2019

Is the Bard song an odd one to modify, I believe this is correct however it is having exactly the same effect as before, no longer.

What am I missing here? :/

Post edited by CaloNord on
    I just tested it and it seems to work on an unmodded install. I used a skald song for the example.
    There seems to be a cap at 32767 (2^15) after which the bard song simply ceases to work on my install, but 5000 definitely seems to work.
    The only difference I see between your effect and mine is that duration is set to 0 on my install, but I think this shouldn't matter.
    Make sure you save the file and restart the game after saving the file (not just reload the save, restart the whole game), and it should work. If it doesn't, well, I don't know.
    CaloNord
    edited January 2019
    Weird. Might be a mod on my end making it go hinky. Just reset it from a back up and edited it again in the same way, still no effect.
    Wonder if Rogue Re-balancing is doing it... or might and guile... Honestly not sure if they'd have any effect.
    Weird. Thanks for the pointers all the same! :)
    edited January 2019
    Okay, I've changed tac and started editing the bard songs. I modify the duration on all the effects listed and hit save, it says it overrides and saves, but the changes reset every time... any idea why? :/ So if I reopen the file in NI, it's back to 100 or 300 on duration, not 5000. Despite the changes being saved...

-Edit- Nevermind, it seems after changing the duration value I need to click down one box which seems to force it to update the value?
    CaloNord said:

Edit- Nevermind, it seems after changing the duration value I need to click down one box which seems to force it to update the value?

Yup, when you edit a file in NI, you need to either go to the next row by pressing Enter or click another row for the change to take effect, and then to save the file itself.
    CaloNord
    edited January 2019
    Got it working as intended now. :) Thank you so much for the insight and assists :) 

Much appreciated :) 

-Edit- 

On an amusing sidenote, only leave it on for one round, with the effects now lasting 1 hours they are reapplied at the start of every round and stack. Rapidly rising to a rather amusing -22 AC and -84 THAC0. :D

Anything we can do about that to slow down the tick rate of the Bard song?  
    I am afraid that bard song is hardcoded to trigger once every round as long as it is active. But here are two solutions to prevent buff stacking:
    At the top of the effect list within each spell ability, add an effect #321 (remove effects by resource) that removes the effects of the spell itself. It is important that you place this effect first in the list of ability, so that it triggers before the buff are reapplied. This first solution make it so the duration is refreshed every time the spell is cast.
    At the bottom of the effect list within each spell ability, add an effect #324 (immunity to a spell) that grants immunity to the spell itself for the duration of the buff effects. Then again, placing it at the bottom of the effect list is important, so that the buffs are applied once, and only then you are immune to further applications of the effects. This solution will make it so the buffs can't be reapplied as long as they are active, but reusing the bard song will not refresh the duration, it will simply have no effect until the first bard song expires, and then you'll be able to reapply the buffs.

Most of the time, the first solution is used. Vanilla bard songs do that, by the way, though for some reason the devs forgot to do it on the enhanced bard song which can thus stack from multiple sources.
    GusindaCaloNord
    edited January 2019
    Okay so we want to add something like this to the top of the effects list for each set of effects? 

Which would, assuming I knew what to set all the variables to (Which I don't, I'm not that good yet, tried various combinations with no real luck, kind of working blind), clean the effects off each time the bard song reapplies its effects, thus stopping it from stack? 
    it looks to be pretty good, but you need to fill the resource field with the name of the bard song spell file.
    And make sure you're adding it in the spell ability, not as a global effect of the spell
    CaloNord
    Ahh got it working perfectly. I can't thank you enough for the help. :) Appreciated more than you'll know :)