Skip to content

Weapon advice

I started my first game recently and gave my fighter proficiency in both single handed swords and axes expecting that swords would deal both piercing and slashing damage and axes would deal slashing and crushing damage. Have I wasted a proficiency because both weapon types I have picked up so far only deal slashing?

Comments

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Not at all. Axes and long swords are very well represented in IWD, and can deliver huge bonuses if you get the right ones. The game is rather unbalanced in terms of the frequency and benefits of the different sorts of weapon types, and you could find it a challenge if you choose the less common ones, but luckily you’ve chosen two of the best.
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehr
  • LeaderBeeLeaderBee Member Posts: 27
    Thanks, but they both deal the same damage type. Wouldn't it be ideal to have weapons with different damage types? Slashing is not so effective on skeletons for example
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Perhaps...but if your strength and THAC0 is high enough you might not notice this so much, even with skeletons. At the risk of giving too much away, morningstars/flails are a good option, if you’re concerned about having some points in blunt weapons. I don’t think it’s worth restarting to do this though.

But IMHO weapon damage type rarely has a huge effect on the game, however there are some slime versions later on that are immune to certain damage types, so it’s a good idea to have a spellcaster who can cast spells that deal fire/acid damage.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    IWD has many enemies that resist slashing/piercing damage so it would be a good idea to have your next weapon do crushing damage.  Flails or maces would be a solid choice.
    Dragonspear
  • LeaderBeeLeaderBee Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2019
    Nothing to worry about then, great. Actually I have a second fighter who uses flails and my cleric is limited to mace's too which are both blunt damage. Not quite sure how my spellcasters are going to work out but I have both a necromancer and dragon disciple which I imagine will cover both of those damage types with a few levels... At the moment I'm having to make do with grease and magic missiles

Grease has saved my ass from yetis and crypt crawlers quite a few times now
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Warhammers are probably the all around best choice. Yes, Teo handed Swords and Axes may have some of the largest variety but considering what IWD:EE is about warhammers are likely to hit everything fairly well without sacrificing AC from shields. 

If you learn how to create items using NI they can make for a very satisfying experience. For example, my Ranger lead character in my Ranger/Druid/Barbarian frontier party has Shadow Dragon Acid armour at -5 AC. Everytime he gets hit the enemy experiences a nasty 2d3 Acid burn! Thought it can be tweaked in terms of AC to be something like 3AC in Heart of Winter Mode it's very balanced as my char sacrifces shield defence fir wielding 2 weapons. He's "died" quite a few times so although it's good and adds flavour it's reasonable.
    Dragonspear