Skip to content

Having some issues with a custom casterlevel script and dispell magic

Hi, I am experiencing some trouble where the caster level of the spell when being dispelled is treated as the unmodified caster level whereas the spells being cast correctly use my custom caster level script. how would I go about making sure that they are using my custom caster level when checked against dispelling?
Torgrimmer

Comments

• TerrorbleTerrorble Member Posts: 169
    Problem is, if you calculate your own casting level in a spell script it ONLY affects duration and damage dice. It does not affect you casting level for purposes of resisting dispel magic or for beating spell resistance.

I used this script package: prccasterlevelv.22.5

ftp://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/scripts/1980/index.html

Looking at how they accomplished dispel checks that use modified casting levels might be useful to you.

IIRC, the author wrote a custom ApplyEffectToObject() that accounts for any extra casting levels whenever you apply a spell effect. I think it applies local vars to track it on the affected object. Then, the dispel function is rewritten to make a list of any effects on the creature, then remove them based on roll, and then reorder the list.  I think they had to rewrite ResistSpell() too. (beating monk SR isn't helped by any of this)

I've posted a couple times that I want NWN:EE to address this exact thing. I'm really hoping that if/when they ever set up custom spell books that a much easier way to adjust caster level -so that it will account for dispel checks and beating spell resistance- will be part of it.

*fingers still crossed*
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    You can just use variables, these days I think you can use effect tags too. You'll need to write your own dispel, spell resistance check, and so on.
  • MalcorathMalcorath Member Posts: 12
    Terrorble wrote: »
    Problem is, if you calculate your own casting level in a spell script it ONLY affects duration and damage dice. It does not affect you casting level for purposes of resisting dispel magic or for beating spell resistance.

I used this script package: prccasterlevelv.22.5

ftp://neverwintervault.org/rolovault/projects/nwn1/scripts/1980/index.html

Looking at how they accomplished dispel checks that use modified casting levels might be useful to you.

IIRC, the author wrote a custom ApplyEffectToObject() that accounts for any extra casting levels whenever you apply a spell effect. I think it applies local vars to track it on the affected object. Then, the dispel function is rewritten to make a list of any effects on the creature, then remove them based on roll, and then reorder the list.  I think they had to rewrite ResistSpell() too. (beating monk SR isn't helped by any of this)

I've posted a couple times that I want NWN:EE to address this exact thing. I'm really hoping that if/when they ever set up custom spell books that a much easier way to adjust caster level -so that it will account for dispel checks and beating spell resistance- will be part of it.

*fingers still crossed*

I tried to pull down the PRC and extract the files to deconstruct how i could do it but for some reason i cant get it to install. It claims i dont have NWN installed (got it thrugh steam) any chance you could help a fellow out and export the erf for the relevant files?
  • StratovariusStratovarius Member Posts: 30
    Drop by the discord and we'll walk you through it. https://discord.gg/Naf3ShK

Although as a heads up the exe is for classic only. Rar or steam for EE, then follow the instructions to install.