Skip to content

Shapeshifter/Monk dual class question

Two of my friends and I are planning to run through all the Baldurs Gate games and expansion. We're all fairly experienced with the series. I really want to play a Shapeshifter druid (turning into a werewolf and tearing into people sounds awesome) but I hear it has some issues with it. I'm really more interested in the werewolf shifting than the druid abilities, so I was wondering if dual classing monk would help with the werewolves unarmed damage and AC. Don't monks get the ability to hit creatures immune to non-magic weapons? Would that ability work with werewolf claws?

Is this a good idea or not. I think I would rather start shifter for the werewolf powers, but maybe someone more experienced with builds can help me out.

1) Is this a bad idea?
2) How many levels of each class should I take before dualing over?
3) What items would work for this build?

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    1) Monks cannot be part of any dual- or multiclass.
    2) Even if you gave a monk shapeshifting abilities via cheats, their unarmed fighting skills would disappear because their fists would be replaced with beast attacks.
    3) If you are worried about issues with werewolves, I suggest you install a particular component of the CD Tweaks from G3.
  • SamTheAlienSamTheAlien Member Posts: 2
    Ah, disappointing news. Thank you for your answer.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    To my mind the shapeshifter kit for the druid works fine, so if you like that as a concept then just go for that.  I know some people complain that the kit doesn't include all the abilities of the werewolf/greater werewolf, but I think it's reasonably balanced.  As a melee option the werewolf is stronger than most classes in attack in BG1, though a bit weaker in defense, so is best used as support in melee (at least until you have ironskins available).  The werewolf and then greater werewolf shapes continue to be competitive in early to middle BG2.  By comparison it certainly falls behind other classes after that in melee, but at high levels your druid has lots of other options to simple fighting anyway.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Some people have tried builds similar to yours in Pillars 2 and they work reasonably well.  Can't do it in this game, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.