Skip to content

How to translate a .tlk file in different languages?

Hi folks,
I'm using TlkEdit, which works like a charm, but the "Edit menu -> Language" doesn't seem to be doing anything.
I'd like to include 2 languages in the same .tlk file but can't seem to be able to do that.
Anybody had previous success doing so?

Cheers

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    It doesn't work like that. A single TLK file only contains text from a single language. In order to translate the game, you have multiple TLK files, one with each language, and then you swap them.

The base game always ships with only "dialog.tlk", which is different for different languages. Some languages also have a "dialogf.tlk", which is used if you play a female character.

If you want to create a game translation for a new language, just take "dialog.tlk", and edit all the strings, save it as "dialog.tlk" and put it in your user directory (e.g. c:\users\japualtah\documents\neverwinter nights\dialog.tlk), and the game will use that instead.
    If this is for a custom module, then you need to offer the players the option to download which version they want and put that in their tlk/ folder.

The 'f' suffix works for custom tlks as well - If you have mymodule.tlk and mymodulef.tlk, you set the module to use mymodule.tlk, and the game will automatically search for mymodulef.tlk if you play a female - and if not found, it'll use the male/neutral one instead.

Hope this helps.
    DerpCityJapualtahJuliusBorisovZwerkules
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    Yep, that's the answer I was looking for, cheers ;)
    JuliusBorisov