Skip to content

Magic Advice

I guess i'll keep this thread going as I make my way through the game but i'm currently on level 3 of Dragons eye in Chapter 2.

I now have a choice between Dispel Magic or Miscast magic to add to my repetoire.
In the forums humble opinion, which is more useful?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Dispel Magic.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,316
    Depends on your situation. In a party, dispel magic is useful for getting rid of nasty status effects on others as well as for debuffing the opposition. It can also affect multiple people at once. For a solo player it's much less useful, while miscast magic is more so and definitely worth considering (though for most opponents insects are about as likely to disrupt spells and do damage as well).
  • LeaderBeeLeaderBee Member Posts: 27
    Thanks, I was leaning towards dispel anyway as I figured I could focus fire any magic users and take them out of the fight as quickly as possible
  • LeaderBeeLeaderBee Member Posts: 27
    What are people's opinions on circle of bones? It seems like a half decent spell to use at choke points, especially when enemies have resistances to regular weapons, but the fact you are immobile while it's in use seem to limit it's usefulness
  • IamdorfIamdorf Member Posts: 60
    LeaderBee wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on circle of bones? It seems like a half decent spell to use at choke points, especially when enemies have resistances to regular weapons, but the fact you are immobile while it's in use seem to limit it's usefulness

I feel like, the few times I used it. It didn't stop my char from getting pulverized which is why I wanted it. Though if you could otherwise make them unhurtable...
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Dispel tends to save on reloads if you get a confused or held character. It can also be used against casters to bring down their protections fast. It's got much wider application than Miscast Magic, since there are many other disruption strategies.

I'm not a big fan of Circle of Bones. Pre-EE some people used it in conjunction with Sanctuary to take out casters with ease, as CoB is a caster-only spell. I'm not sure if that cheese still works. That's really only a useful trick for a solo, non-HoF run, though.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    LeaderBee wrote: »
    It doesn't scale one bit, but it was a staple spell in the Vale of Shadows for my solo F/M/C. I'd throw some buffs, then gather a bunch of mobs and pop CoB as my bread and butter tactic. But yeah, it deals 6d6 damage, it deals it slowly and it immobilizes you, so it's going to get unexciting real fast.