Skip to content

What is your PC's alignment?

Comments

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2012
    I always get Chaotic Good on these things.

As for my characters, I can only ever play good. I've tried playing other alignments, but can't get far. I just always feel like a dick when I'm evil or a pushover when I am neutral. So, in game, it's always either the Lawful Good Cleric, Paladin guy or Chaotic Good Ranger, Thief, etc.
  • nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    The test ranked me as Lawful Good to Lawful Neutral, I certainly hope and try to be "good" in society but in RPG I often play an evil character, usually Lawful Evil. I might try a run through BG as a good character and see how it goes
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @DJKajuru i gave examples, you're being naive if you think that i touch every quest of the game that reject evil.

The ones that i quoted are the only ones that you can do in evil way, what i mean, yes i enjoy to do them on the evil patch and lose xp and gold, but that's not the problem, the problem lies in the ones that force me to make them in the good way.

Evil prejudice in BG is a huge theme, with already some threads in this forum, don't try to solve it with 2 lines, it's... well, take your own conclusions of what it is.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

^Chaotic person wanting to change the system while a Lawful one explains it? We are doing nothing to subvert expectations.

I'm on the fence about it myself.

Oh the irony! Especially since you play a True Neutral character.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2012
    The test rated me Lawful Neutral but it's retarded. It's not because I think the universe is a system strictly governed by laws that I think the individual lives to serve society. It just doesn't follow. I'm definitely Neutral on the Law-Chaos scale, I think laws are necessary and should be respected, but are not an end in themselves; laws change and unfair laws should be challenged. Laws are only good insofar as they promote the Good.

Also I'm definitely not "neutral" on the good-evil scale, which again is retarded because it equates good with love and altruism. I equate good with virtue and happiness: that encompasses altruism to a degree, yet altruism isn't an end in itself, virtue and happiness are. Sometimes the best act isn't an altruistic one, i.e. sacrificing yourself for any random innocent is stupid when you could spend a long and productive life doing a lot more good for many more people.

Anyway, in CRPGs I generally play NG but I also like NE - pure greed is fun to play, and I love exploring the evil options CRPGs have to offer.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Mortianna said:

@Quartz What, so you're saying we non-good people are sociopaths? ~.^

kamuizin said:

@DJKajuru i gave examples, you're being naive if you think that i touch every quest of the game that reject evil.

The ones that i quoted are the only ones that you can do in evil way, what i mean, yes i enjoy to do them on the evil patch and lose xp and gold, but that's not the problem, the problem lies in the ones that force me to make them in the good way.

Evil prejudice in BG is a huge theme, with already some threads in this forum, don't try to solve it with 2 lines, it's... well, take your own conclusions of what it is.

Sorry, all I meant was that roleplay and xp balance aren't that affected . I agree that there should be more flexibility in some cases, though.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    My PCs are always all over. I like to vary it and will play anything, but tend to end up in the middle most of the time.

As for me... seems like I'm True Neutral with a slight leaning to Neutral Good.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    I ended up as a Neutral Good (which I normally do) And to be honest, my PC's alignment depends on who I'm playing. I've currently got several character running, the LN Fighter/Preist of Hoar, LG Kensi/Mage, and the NG Mage/Cleric of Oghma
  • dosentti666dosentti666 Member Posts: 20
    Random behavior ftw.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    7% is rolling a Paladin! :)
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    huh... I thought myself to be a neutral good, but my "chaotic" scale is way too high for it... It's weird to say, but this test made me reevaluate my morals and principles and made me realize that I am indeed closer to the Chaotic Good alignment, and that's what my PC will be from now on.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2012
    I think of myself as Lawful Neutral and this test put me as True Neutral with Chaotic tendencies. Which means I've been playing the right character alignment all along. Chaotic Neutral. :p
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61
    edited October 2012
    I got Chaotic Neutral on the test. Seems fitting. I've always loved the idea of Emperor Nero, who fiddled as Rome burned. Pretty much everything it said I agreed with, and when I was starting to question it, there would be a line that said, "Of course, no two Chaotic Neutral people are alike..." and I nodded my head.

So yeah. Also, I tend to play either Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, or Lawful Good. Every now and again, I'll play a Lawful Neutral character. I don't like Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, True Neutral, Neutral Evil or Chaotic evil.

I like Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, and Lawful Neutral because these are people that stand for something, something tangible and real. A system, a code of beliefs that is widely agreed upon. These are people that fit into the system, and are almost necessary in a way. They're the ones that keep all the wheels spinning.

As for the ones I don't like, for the Neutral/Chaotic evils, it's just... selfish. One could argue that Chaotic Neutral is the epitome of selfishness, since CN people would tend to do whatever they feel like at the time, but I'd argue that they cannot be selfish. They don't give themselves enough thought to be self-involved. I voted that I'd duel my arch-enemy to save my friends, in a straight-up fight. Why? Because he's my arch-enemy, that's why, and he's probably a son of a bitch. I could take him, man. I know I could. And if not, it's probably because he cheated, the rat bastard that he is.

True Neutral is just boring, and Neutral/Chaotic Good just seem like your typical Mary Sue character alignments. Good at everything, but they don't adhere to the laws because the system will hold you back from doing good, maaan. Screw that noise, and screw those hippies.

I'm gonna play the fiddle.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Duh, I voted before noticing the test. Actually scored Neutral Good, not Lawful Neutral and really agree about the description of this alignment fitting myself. The comparison with Socrates is also really cool. He IS a guy whose views I admire to an extent. And I'm going to the greek equivalent of paradise, so hopefully I can meat him there :P
    These original 1e alignments seem to be extremely well thought out and a good enough approximation of real life, not something I can say about the alignment descriptions in the Baldurs Gate games, I used to get confused by those.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2012
    My favourite alignments to play are Lawful Good, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Good.

That being said, some of the questions in that test were pretty tricky, while others don't provide enough options for me personally.

When your own life is on the line, it's a lot harder being a hero. Playing one in a game is easy by comparison.

I don't like the thought of sacrificing my life for anything, to be honest, and often, you can't actually sacrifice your life for something anyways. Rather, you'd likely be dying in the process of trying to do something, in which case you technically just failed to do what it was that you just lost your life while trying to do (i.e. protecting loved ones--you get shot, who do you think the shooter will shoot next?).
    Post edited by fighter_mage_thief on
    edited October 2012
    @cyberhawk If your PC is Lawful Neutral and your result from the alignment test is Neutral Good, then you chose the correct option on the poll. Sorry if the wording was confusing in my original post.

I always thought of Socrates as Lawful Good. He had the opportunity to escape the death penalty, but chose to stay and (among other things) accept his sentence because to do otherwise would break his social contract with the state and breach his duty as a citizen. That's pretty hardcore Lawful behavior if you ask me.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012
    Hmmm, i took this test a long time ago and got Chaotic Neutral.

Now i changed one answer and got Chaotic Evil.

I am probably going to play an Evil, possibly Chaotic, Blackguard, so even the first test was probably close.

The test is very nice, although it can't really cover the "Fallen Angel" or "Absolutionist" demeanor, i'm asking for too much :p

But i tell you one thing...

If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate by embracing sorcery!
  • AyurukAyuruk Member Posts: 20
    I always play lawful good characters. Thou in real life I'm probably more neutral good
  • MrKrisSatanMrKrisSatan Member Posts: 75
    That's my loot and I'll kill the whole party if you look at it!
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    You need to have guts to take my share or you will finish with an extra present in the end, a dagger on your back :)!
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    Mortianna said:

@cyberhawk If your PC is Lawful Neutral and your result from the alignment test is Neutral Good, then you chose the correct option on the poll. Sorry if the wording was confusing in my original post.

I always thought of Socrates as Lawful Good. He had the opportunity to escape the death penalty, but chose to stay and (among other things) accept his sentence because to do otherwise would break his social contract with the state and breach his duty as a citizen. That's pretty hardcore Lawful behavior if you ask me.

True, his choice in the end is the most hardcore lawful choice one can imagine. The story even mentions him having a chance for escape. The reason why Socrates is not an example for Lawful Good characters is, when you ask me, Lawful Good being a relatively stupid alignment. Such people are like cardboard cutouts, extremely loyal for no reason other than it being in their nature. Socrates was more the critical thinking guy, uncovering wrong beliefs of other citizens of Athen, criticizing kings and other authorities.

Also, if he would have been that obedient to the state he lived in, there would have been no accusations and no unfair death sentence ;) As he mentioned himself in his defending speech, he obeyed only his "soul", not the state (he didn't use that word, but the meaning comes close).
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Well, my character will be a paladin (my first in BG), but my own alignment I rate myself to be NG, it's my most favourite alignment in the game as well, as I like to make choices in the game that befit my own morals. If there's people that can be helped in the game I will do so. I'm a bad role-player in that sense. Sometimes I'll play a CN character and take evil characters in my party for a change, but it's just as hard as buying meat-industry meat in the supermarket - it cuts against the grain of my moral sense and cutting against the grain hurts.

I don't really like lawful alignments as laws can be evil as well, making lawful good a contradictio in terminus for certain situations - in many situations in the world it's civil disobedience that's the best route to follow, in other, where the law is good, the law helps making the world a better place for the less well-off. Justice and equality is ultimate, the law, well, it just depends on who's writing the law.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited October 2012
    My PCs alignments cover the whole chart. Apparently my alignment according to this test is:

Neutral Good
    4 chaos, -11 evil and 11 balance!

A huge change from the last one I took which, IIRC, placed me somewhere in the evil area. At least I got to see a map of the Outer Planes at the end. :)

I might even make a Neutral Good PC at some point. I always preferred CG CN and NE when it came to PCs with just a few LG, LE and LN thrown in. I don't thing I ever finished a playthrough with a Neutral Good or Chaotic Evil character.
  • balalaika86balalaika86 Member Posts: 20
    As a student of law, could I be anything other than Lawful Neutral? Well yes, Lawful Evil or Good but then I wouldn't be like Vhailor, right? ;p
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2012
    I like the idea of being True Neutral because I don't like to commit to either side of the coin ....
    but having taken that test I came out with NEUTRAL EVIL?!
    Widely considered THE worst alignment of all 9 ... after reading the little description and learning of my eventual place in the afterlife will be in Hades, I feel like I've had a real good telling off!

lol sorry teacher, promise I won't do it again

(bitch)

Edit: according to that test I'm as bad as Big Brother and the Inner Party! Which ... actually doesn't sound too bad, they had it good those guys.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I scored in the middle between LG and NG. I usually play NG or CG characters since I have no problem saying something when I think the law is wrong. I played an LG paladin once. I'm planning a NG cleric, a CN thief, and then bards and sorcerers and whatever sounds fun.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Ugh ... so many disgusting do-gooders in here *scowls*

Ugh ... so many disgusting do-gooders in here *scowls*

Not surprising though.

according to that test I'm as bad as Big Brother and the Inner Party! Which ... actually doesn't sound too bad, they had it good those guys.

According to the test, I have a lot in common with totalitarians and the Spanish Inquisition (I never expected them, but who does?) as well as Saruman the White, Jadis the White Witch, Darth Vader, and Ming the Merciless. Looking forward to a jolly old time in the Nine Hells, I am.

What's funny is that the Political Compass test says I'm a left social libertarian and all the European governments and the American Democrat and Republican candidates are right-wing authoritarians.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I'm apparently chaotic evil and my characters tend to be ce ne or le.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I can't post on the poll cuz I'm on my phone