Skip to content

Sarevok Custom Portrait Problem

SpookieDookieSpookieDookie Member Posts: 3
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this (hopefully it is) as this concerns primarily the original BGII, but I wouldn't really know of any other online forums that could help me here.

I ran into an issue that made me quite frustrated at first, but after messing around for a bit I actually became quite curious. Here's the deal: I wanted to change Sarevok's portrait in ToB so I performed the necessary steps of choosing an image, cropping it (110 x 170 for medium and 38 x 60 for small), changing the file type (.bmp) and naming the files appropriately (SAREVOKM.bmp and SAREVOKS.bmp, though I did try replacing M with an L just for the hell of it). I tried placing them in both the override and the portraits folders seperately and simultaneously. The result was always the same (and I did try reloading the save multiple times to see if it would change anything but nope, it didn't): the small custom portrait would always show up as the one I pasted, but the medium one would stay unchanged.

Here's where it gets weird.
I tried copying the images, but naming them NAERIEM.bmp and NAERIES.bmp and summoning her in the game and they worked flawlessly. This got me wondering if anyone else has tried changing Sarevok's portrait to a custom, non-ShadowKeeper image and wheter there's just something wrong with Sarevok's medium portrait.

SO... any insight?

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    I don't have the original Baldur's Gate II installed right now. So I can't check if Sarevok uses an irregular filename for his large portrait. In EE, I had no problems replacing his portraits (other than finding a picture that I like).
    Three things I can suggest:
    a) Use Shadowkeeper to open his character file and verify what filename the game is actually using.
    b) Make sure that you are looking at the correct character file. The easiest way to accomplish this is by recruiting him first and then looking at the character in your party. At least you are not trying to change Imoen's portrait. Her various incarnations actually use different versions of the exact same image.
    c) Make sure to restart the game. The game will not recognize the files otherwise.
  • SpookieDookieSpookieDookie Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2019
    I'm inclined to believe that the issue is not with the filename, as both the wiki and ShadowKeeper state that the large portrait should be SAREVOKM.bmp. I have loaded to a previous save before where I have not yet spoken to Sarevok to see if recruiting him that way would help but it hasn't (I also tried booting him out of the party and recruiting him again but to no avail). Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by checking the correct character file. His old portrait is still there on the load and character screens, but not on the little sidebar-party thing (that one is using my custom portrait).

Unless by restarting you mean something other than quitting and running BGII again, I have been restarting the game every single time I tried something new. This did however give me the idea to eject and mount the disk again; sadly, that did nothing.

And yes, I've heard of the turmoils that various players have suffered because of Imoen's numerous dopplegangers. ;P