Skip to content

Darkness over Daggerford feedback ... spoiler alert

CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
If this is not the right place to put feedback on DoD let me know where else to post it. I don't want to bash the mod but help its maintenance and to keep track of my feedback before I forget stuff. As I play through I will add updates.

1) initial battle was very tough for my dwarf ranger/rogue 4/4, some of the main friendly NPCs just ran around in circles instead of attacking for several rounds. I was killed 3 or 4 times before winning.

2) in the town of daggerford I stumbled into a red wizard. In the initial encounter I was killed so I reloaded my last save, walked up to the door to the red wizards location and resaved then entered to try again. This time the cut scene didnt run quite right - the text didnt appear properly and the cut scene never stopped - I had to exit the game to break out of the cut scene. I reloaded and tried a gain and this time it worked, I was able to kill the wiz but got no info from the encounter - I'm left wondering if I killed him too soon and maybe broke a plot.

3) I found a bunch of evil dwarves who quickly confessed their habit of robbing caravans - I ran from the place and they didnt follow. I went to the barracks to tell the Captains but neither had a convo option to give me the option of telling them about the dwarves. Ditto for the gate guards just outside the dwarf house. Seems to me there should have been.

4) I have a list of 6 incomplete quests now but can't get out of the town yet to pursue them. play seems very slow so far.

Comments

• ratty_uk2011ratty_uk2011 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018
    Patience - it's a long module :)
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    Hi Phantasma,
    1) Nope, no haks added and nothing in override that could be the cause - just a little script of my own allowing me to open a merchant used for another mod.
    2) The wizard appeard but he just stood there beside his quasit gesturing endlessly. The conversation - I dont think it did apppear that time. I remember the popup text didn't look quite right either - maybe some was missing or not positioned right.
    Thanks
    Now that Im out of daggerford the game play has definitely picked up however the need to frequently trek back to daggerford to update quest givers is a bit of a drag - there are better ways to handle these plots which would spare the players time.

After finishing a quest for M*something - the Millers tale -, I was viewing her inventory and then accidentally closed it before making my purchases and can no longer get her to let me view it - bummer.
  • PhantasmaPhantasma Member Posts: 79
    Hi Calgacus, glad things are picking up. I'm inclined to agree that backtracking could have been reduced a bit although it was beyond the scope of what we did during 'fix and upgrade'. Obviously the world map at least reduces area transitions, and saving up a few quests until returning to Daggerford helps. I think the need to return to Daggerford does reduce as the game progresses.

If you killed the Miller, Maerovyna will initially let you view her store for 'quest completion' but it remains closed thereafter as she moves her focus to restoring the operation of the mill. There is the opportunity to open it again later in the game however. There are of course other merchants in Daggerford (Derval, Liam Sunmist, Stran) and a couple in Liam's Hold, plus a potential druidic option later in the game, so it shouldn't hinder you too much I hope. If you didn't kill the miller please PM me and you can send me your saved game and I'll endeavour to see what's happened and fix it for you :-)
    edited July 2018
    Hi Phantasma,
    Actually I didn't kill the miller but when he attacked me I thought that maybe had I picked other dialogue options I would have kept him calm and that if I keep him alive I might later be able to find a cure for him and so I ran away to avoid killing him, but when I got outside he followed me and one of the little dairy farmers killed him while I was bravely running away.
    Thats a slightly annoying outcome - if youd like me to amend your saved game just drop me a PM! You would have got different outcome with different dialog options but it is a little unfair youre being penalised for an overly vigilant dairy farmer! :-) I will improve that!
    edited July 2018
    Thats ok, its not a big deal as far as I can tell.
    Tonight I put a modified baseitems.2da into the override but it does not take effect in my saved game, how can I get this mod to use it?
    Post edited by Calgacus on
    There is a baseitems.2da in dodee_dev.hak so maybe you'd need to overwrite that in the hak file for any changes to take effect - however, there are no doubt some custom entries in the hak's baseitems.2da file so I suspect any overwriting of that could lead to strange appearances of other items. Custom content isn't anything I've done much with, so someone else may be better placed to advise on side-effects, or ways to do what you want (presumably merging the 2das might be less intrusive)
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, I'll try editing it in there - the beamdog client adds the haks to .../Beamdog Library/00829/data/hk folder rather than the usual /Users/myname/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/hak so I didn't see it when I went looking for it.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited July 2018
    The file loading priority is hak > patch hak > override > base game, so the version of the 2da in the hak will always prevail.

To make changes, you actually have to edit the 2da in the hak file. This is because the module makes an explicit request to load that particular hak, and no other files that might happen to be in the hk/hak folder. As previously mentioned, you need to do this in a way that preserves the changes that DoD makes to the base game.

Assuming there are no encryption issues (I haven't checked), what you have to do is
    • Backup the hak
    • Open the hak using nwhak
    • Export the 2da
    • Make your changes to the 2da with a text editor
    • Import the 2da
    • Save the hak
    edited October 2018
    @Phantasma I found a bug ... nevermind, I see it was addressed in the latest version.
    edited October 2018
    @Phantasma Veiti's armor seems ... nevermind, I see it too was addressed in the latest version. I wish I could overwrite my saved game with the new version so I wouldn't have to start over again. If all the game content was in hak paks except i guess for a simple beginning area then could we just get all the new fixes n stuff by just updating the hak paks? Or if maybe just putting all bug fixes into one DoD_bugfix.hak?

Is there a walkthrough that details the custom items? I tried opening my saved game in the editor so see them but it didn't work - it looked like the module was empty - should it have worked?

Hi Calgacus - yeah, haks would be a good way of managing updates, I will mention it to the powers that be :-) There isn't a custom item walkthrough, but you could open the mod in the toolset and look through the items in the custom palette I would think? Shout if that doesn't work!
    Tried that, it didn't work.
    Maybe they get 'protected' during the release process although seems unlikely - i will find out for you. Youre not missing out on a lot from not having the patched version btw even though it would be ideal. Most 2.01 fixes were minor and relatively obscure so it is fsirly unlikely to have a detrimental effect. But if you need a workaround for anything just let me know :-)
    Mainly I just wanted to look at the special properties of some items - the rapier Shadow Cut for example.
    edited October 2018
    I can't se that it has anything beyond +1 Slashing bonus damage, and +2 Vampiric Regeneration. The properties would suggest it has an 'onhit' power but I can't actually find a reference to that in code... actually on further investigation the OnHit power is purely to deliver a VFX. I'm sure you know this, but while I don't know if opening a save in the toolset would work, I would have thought opening your downloaded 'vanilla' copy would have. But I know you know enough to have tried that :-) I will let you know when I get a definitive answer.
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    Can we get a walkthrough or at least some hints of the Edalseye Tower quest? I always struggle with puzzles. Otherwise, I am enjoying the module quite a bit. Back in the day, I gave up on DoD because it was so buggy. Definitely worth the $$$.
    What was the Edalseye Tower quest? I finished the mod a while back now and do not remember this one.
    Edalseye Tower is where you have to "rescue" a crazy wizard and solve a bunch of puzzles. For example there is the ice mephit room.
    Does not ring a bell, could I have skipped it entirely?
    It is a 'stronghold' quest so could be missed depending on class and number of times exited from stronghold. Are you still in need of assistance, Grymlorde?
    @Phantasma - No thanks. I skipped that quest and finished the module. Which actually says quite a lot as I usually end up getting bored and not finishing most modules.
    That's good to hear (the 'finished the mod' bit, not the 'skipped that quest' bit :-) ) - sorry I didn't notice your posting quickly enough to help you progress that one!
  • OrwinOrwin Member Posts: 2
    I've been playing through and it's a great module, but hitting snags hear and there. Like looking for the fantabulizer part for days before leaving and finding elsewhere lol. But xatuums key where can I use it??
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    I just wanted to chime in and say that this is my favorite module out of all that I have purchased with the premium edition. I think it was well worth the 10 bucks.
  • Night76Night76 Member Posts: 45
    Hi,
    i found a bug in the EE of the module.
    In Daggerford when the captain assign the quest with the wild elf and complete the quest you can do it again in the dialog. I don't know the right forum to signal the bug so i write here.

Best Regard and is a great module!!!