Skip to content

Early-level Flailing in SCS Illithid-land (spoilers)

butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
Whelp, a word (or more) of advice: when running SCS, it's a bit (and by "a bit" I mean "very") challenging to do the Illithid City when you (and by "you" I mean "I") rush to save Imoen and end up between levels 11 and 13 when the mind flayer antics begins. I had 4 Chaotic Commands for the entire city (2 memorized and both came back after Wondrous Recall). I used up almost every spell I had, was down to around 10 potions, and was scrounging around in scroll cases for help. The entire party was exhausted thanks to multiple (and by "multiple" I mean "4+") meth injections (and by "meth injections" I mean "castings of haste"). I almost gave up a few times, but never flipped from core to story mode. I'm still in partial disbelief that I made it out, but by the end Nalia was waving the monster summoning wand like crazy and Jaheira had used up 3 Raise Deads and 4 Heals from the Rod of Resurrection. I was even trying out Slayer Form to clear some rooms but always failed with it. That damage timer is rough.

Next time I decide to rush to Imoen, remind me to get an extra level or two first. Thanks in advance.

Am I really about to jump into the Beholder Caves? Sure! Why not!
Post edited by butteredsoul on
OrlonKronsteenSkatangorgonzolaJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrronaldo

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    what you say reminds me when i started to play tactics mod, also there some battles are near to impossible if you are still at low level, and in the starting dungeon you are both low level and with very basic gear.

those battles are the most frustrating ones, but in the end, when you finally prevail, there are no words to properly describe the satisfaction...

good work, chapeau, now go and kick some beholder butt! :D
    JuliusBorisovbutteredsoul
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Under Tactical Challenges for BG2 the SCS ReadMe says:
    Prevent resting in the illithid city

This component does just what it says it does: it prevents you from sleeping in the city. This is partly on role-playing grounds (it's blatantly implausible that you could rest there), partly on tactical grounds (a party at the kind of level that's likely to enter the city can protect everyone with Chaotic Commands, nullifying most illithid powers. This will force you to ration your protections a bit, and to be more creative.
    Yeah... that part about Chaotic Commands didn't apply to me. Never been so dire charmed, brain devoured, and stunned in my BG career. Fun times!
    gorgonzola
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    butteredsoul
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    You know that part is 100% optional... I'm pretty sure I would "opt" in the other direction if I was 11th level. :lol:
    Yes, but that would be the intelligent (or in the very least non-masochistic) thing to do.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    if SCS don't change the thing is possible to come back to underdark also later, to avoid now the dungeon and come back with some more levels is an option.
    butteredsoul