Skip to content

More spells than page can hold

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
Current Behavior:
In BG2 you may have more spells memorized per level than can be shoved into 1 page (>12).

Expected Behavior:
option 1: re-design the spell book in order 1 page to hold 20 spells per level.
option 2: add "slider"
option 3: cap maximum memorized spell amount at 12 (current amount of available "windows").

P.S. Actually I am not not sure is this a bug or just design flaw. Thus I have also created similar topic in Feature Requests.
Post edited by Balquo on
Grieg

Comments

• Ascension64Ascension64 Member Posts: 560
    This is a feature added by TobEx. The vanilla game never allowed any overflows, so the implementation in vanilla ToB did not include this in design.
    AndreaColombo
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    I wanted to make a thread like this but then i realized the number of characters affected by that would be extremely low, like its only 3mil clerics with 22 wis, losing on one lvl4 spell. the cost of this fix would be an added interface detail for everyone else. Im not sure if its a great trade-off. Considering the current way with Tobex works quite good, the spell is there and can be memorized, just isnt shown. Lets say they add a row. Then all mages would have to watch even more empty space with their 5 spells or something
    Anton
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I want my cleric/illusionist to wear BOTH rings of wizardry. Hell yeah.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited October 2012
    Yes this was also a terrible engine-limiting bug. I hope they can find a way to implement a scroll bar system or something similar so that we can access all of our spells and spell slots. I know Edwin had a TON of low level spell slots that went over the limit, especially when you gave him a Ring of Acuity/Wizardry.
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    edited October 2012
    The rings of Wizardry is why I wish for more fingers on the character dolls in BG. I want to wear all four rings accessable throughout the whole series while playing a conjurer. First, the two original rings from BG1. Then, the ring the Corthala mage from the sphere will give you. THEN get that ring the apprenticies will craft in the Sphere. Don't forget the Circle of Netheril and high level abilities of ToB... And the bonus spells every specialized mage gets...

Edwin gets a nervous breakdown because someone can memorize more spells than he does throughout almost all the spell levels, except for 8 and 9.
    kamuizinCrevsDaak
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    I also vote for more fingers :)
    CrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Based on fingers we could use 10 rings (or more if we try to put 2 rings in a single finger).

Edwin is the easier character to break spell limit window, but in fact any mage on the game can break it easly past chapter 6.

There are 2 rings of wizardry/Acuity:

1° - Outside Friendly Arms, on an hidden spot inside a tree.
    2° - In southwest Baldur's Gate district, near the Tavern with the nazy paladin (the one bastard that attack any evil aligned character no matter what, and if we defend ourselfs everyone turns hostile... i don't care about rep lost with him but that's fucking ridiculous everyone to turn red). There's a house near that Tavern with a crazy paranoid mage, he carry a ring of wizardry/Acuity also.

With 2 rings any mage will break the spell limit easly.

My suggestion for Expected Behavior:

Change the rings to work as they do in BG II, and use in BG only the bonus for +1 spell in 2°, 3° and 4° circle level spell (as the one we get from Lavok in BG II, after the Planar Sphere quest).
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    @cyberhawk IIRC you can get one more from the harper hold, when jaheira brings you there to be questioned by the guy trying to get a promotion. One of the wizards there has a ring. I THINK that's right, or it's later on in the jaheira questline... Been a while since I actually used her lol. But her quest(s) definitely add another wizard ring.
    stygga said:

@cyberhawk IIRC you can get one more from the harper hold, when jaheira brings you there to be questioned by the guy trying to get a promotion. One of the wizards there has a ring. I THINK that's right, or it's later on in the jaheira questline... Been a while since I actually used her lol. But her quest(s) definitely add another wizard ring.

So there are THREE rings of Wizardry in BG2 alone? Do you remeber what kind of ring that is? One that doubles the 1. grade spells or the one that gets more higher-grade spells?
    @cyberhawk, there are only 2 and both only double lvl 1 spells (triple if you get both rings).
    @kamuizin: well, BG2 rings of wizardry that I know of don't work that way, you're confusing things with BG1. And since stygga was talking about the Harpers Hold and Jaheiras quests we're in BG2.
    BG II is another thing, my bad i didn't saw your reference to BG II.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    edited October 2012
    @cyberhawk It's the one that gives you extra fifth/sixth/seventh from the harper's hold. Ring of Wizardry. Same kind made by your apprentices in planar sphere.

http://gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/equipment/rings.php#null

So yeah, you can get two rings of wizardry, and a ring of acuity, in bg2. Not bad!

Also, this topic regarding the rings is kind of moot I think... Ring of Acuity works differently in BG2 as it does in bg1.. in BG1 it doubles first level, in bg2 it gives +2 second lvl +1 third level +1 fourth level.. Even if you import your character, pause the game, and drop the ring from bg1, it still gives 2nd 3rd and 4th instead of doubling first level spells. Not sure if everyone took that into consideration or not.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    In BG2 and ToB, ALL mage spells can be scribed, the spellbook never runs out of place and they are displayed properly. The divine scroll runs out of place, actually, instead. If you make a Ranger/Cleric and max him, you loose permanently Symbol Stun, because level 7 spell page becomes overflowed beyond full. In BG1 EE, you cannot learn all spells? The limitation from original, which did not have BG2 spells available, are present in the EE perchance? :O
    Not the inscibed spells, but the memorized ones that make the problem @DeathKnight. Put a ring of wizardry on Edwin for example.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    kamuizin said:

Not the inscibed spells, but the memorized ones that make the problem @DeathKnight. Put a ring of wizardry on Edwin for example.

Sorry, my bad, i misunderstood. Ah, this one. Well, it would be a nice feature to have, scrolling down. For divine scroll, all the better. But magi do not really need that badly; simply count how many spells can be memorized, choose for the visible choices those 1st level spells that you need many different and few of each, and in the lots, unseen slots, put ones that you need cast many types (for example lots of magic missiles or chromatic orbs).

It's workable around, but then, a fix would be nice also.
  • MicaelianMicaelian Member Posts: 18
    Well, I have a mage with 19 Intelligence (after reading the tome), and she's not able to access the last third level spell (I think), as there are 25 level 3 spells and only 24 "slots" to inscribe spells in. I think this should be fixed.
  • MicaelianMicaelian Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2013
    OK, never mind. It has been fixed with the last patch.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I've done something wrong here.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    A memorization cap??? That will render Edwin useless and let become Neera a lot better choice.