Skip to content

Should i play GW1???

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
There are aspects that i don't like on mmos. Like for eg

Cooldowns - I an fine with any other way to balance skills. Casts/rest like DkS, very long casting time on Dragon's Dogma, require high resources like most games, but in general mmo's tends to have a lot of cooldowns. Kotor 1 and 2 has not cooldown but swtor has. Same happens to neverwinter nights. NWN1 and 2 has no cooldowns. neverwinter online has.

- Stats linked on gear. On a RPG stats should measure your character capabilities, i can't fell immersed in a world where everyone is the same without the gear but can easily change everything about then by changing the cloths. On older fallout games, if you try play with very low int, you barely can talk. Requirements are good for very action focused games. For example, on demon souls to use Long Bow you need 15 STR. Fully draw an longbow requires a lot of strength, that makes sense. Some type of small bonus to not defense coming for armor is fine. But most of stats should be chooses by the player

- Very long repetitive fights. Like 40 people spamming the same rotation for many minutes to kill an mob. The challenge should be by putting heavy hitting enemies, punishing traps, etc. I don't mind get some one hit killed, if i can ohk certain enemies.

- No choices and consequences.
For example, if you decide to become an vampire, it should give a lot of power, but make you much more weaker to fire and take sun damage. I can understand why an mmo will not allow this, it will make the player OP in certain situations and useless in another, but IMO the immersion and choices/consequences are far more important than the game balance. If you decided to heavily specialize on fire skills, then you should have an very hard time against fire resistant/immune mobs. I an playing DkS 2 as a pyromancer. Iron Keep is being very hard by it. If you decided to be an paladin, you should ve very powerful against undead but should have some weakness to compensate it.

Now why i think that GW1 will gonna be different?

he system of "dual classes" and the skill progression looks amazing. I mean, i saw some end game videos and most people are with around 300~500hp. I don't like gigantic numbers that means nothing presents in many other games(not only mmos). Looks like the skills aren't much gear dependent(not sure) and gear enhances your build, not make or break an build(not sure too). After reading a little, definitely wanna try. In worst case scenario, i lost few bucks.

The leveling(lv 20 = level cap) is very DnD/Pathfinder like, the skills looks very interesting, other skills that take out your life remembers me blood magic on Dragon Age Origins.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Guild Wars 1 can be played almost entirely solo. In the early parts, you take an AI controlled party with you that you choose, but once you reach a certain point or get certain expansions, there is very little distinction between your party companions and those in any other party-based RPG. You equip them, you set their skills, you tell them what to do. It is an MMO, but it's been automated to the point that outside of the PvP aspects, you can do basically anything outside of the hard modes on your own from start to finish. And even those are probably doable with the correct builds.
    SorcererV1ct0r
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Guild Wars 1 can be played almost entirely solo. In the early parts, you take an AI controlled party with you that you choose, but once you reach a certain point or get certain expansions, there is very little distinction between your party companions and those in any other party-based RPG. You equip them, you set their skills, you tell them what to do. It is an MMO, but it's been automated to the point that outside of the PvP aspects, you can do basically anything outside of the hard modes on your own from start to finish. And even those are probably doable with the correct builds.

Wow, thanks that game looks very different. I will gonna try.