Please help me justify ditching Imoen

2»

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    dib said:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

dib said:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

This game is crying out for a Scottish Spaniard with a little beard NPC mod - who croaks in BG but is then brought back in BG2
    mf2112BanArddunbar
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60

dib said:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

dib said:

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

This game is crying out for a Scottish Spaniard with a little beard NPC mod - who croaks in BG but is then brought back in BG2
    A Swashbuckler with formidable WIS and CHA scores. Yes please.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I once had Hexxat and had her murder Imoen. Out of self preservation...if there is another thief in the party she is no longer useful.

I also have had her in the party and had her walk into the unstoppable wall trap just north of her. I imagine Bodhi laughing cruelly as Imoen splatters in front of Charname's eyes. This is more in line with the original story that called for her dying.
    FinnTheHuman
  • MandragoraMandragora Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2016
    I always ditch her. Shes unreliable, never liked her fuzzy or delirious(in BG2) personality. If it helps, you can imagine that she has a drinking problem.
    Kurona
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    I have always found it incredibly difficult to ditch Imoen. I get a strange kind of *guilt* about it. Weird I know.

It doesn't help that I love Yoshimo's plot. It's so beautifully bittersweet and one of my favourite moments in the game, especially when
    ... you take his heart to the temple of Ilmater to free him from his geas as a final act of friendship.

I tend to only have one thief in the party at a time, so this pretty much means picking up Imoen at Spellhold.
    ThacoBellronaldoGrumFinnTheHuman
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I see the compromise as getting her out of spellhold itself, then sending her off safely back to Athkatla with Ginia/Ansem/Clair ect. to recover.

Away from you and the silver sword and the Sauhaugin prophecy, she is much safer. In fact I sometimes wish I could do the same and say to hell with the game, I want to go party in Athkatla.

That actually is the more sensible plan of action for me seeing as she is utterly useless as I usually play a thief myself, a smaller party and by spellhold, we are approaching epic levels.
    GrumVbibbiDJKajuru
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    If I dont take her I send her to the copper coronet in game and head cannon that she tags along as a 7th member, too weak to say or do anything. There is no RP reason you cannot travel with 6 people
    ilduderinosemiticgoddess
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I have never let her the chance of getting in my party so I can't help you.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I usually like to keep her. If you have a party of 6 and don't want to leave anyone in the asylum, kick them out before getting Imoen. If you are in the asylum dungeon and you kick someone out, they don't give the "meet me at the copper coronet" option. If you are in brynlaw, however, they will.

I don't really feel the need to RP justify having someone wait at the Brynlaw docks, since the party cap of 6 has little RP justification anyway. But you can always say you are leaving someone there to keep an eye on the ships and try to book passage. In any case, if you want to be good to Imoen, you're stuck with her until you get out of the asylum. Once out, put her on a ship back to Athkatla (kick her out) and re-recruit your other party member.

After the party is ready to take down Bhodi, you can always take Imoen back for that part. Feel good about yourself for saving her soul. Then set her free again.
    VbibbiSharGuidesMyHand
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    I usually like to keep her. If you have a party of 6 and don't want to leave anyone in the asylum, kick them out before getting Imoen. If you are in the asylum dungeon and you kick someone out, they don't give the "meet me at the copper coronet" option. If you are in brynlaw, however, they will.

I don't really feel the need to RP justify having someone wait at the Brynlaw docks, since the party cap of 6 has little RP justification anyway. But you can always say you are leaving someone there to keep an eye on the ships and try to book passage.

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across this while researching advice on this topic, and found yours to be very useful.

However, I think there's a very simple way to RP leaving someone at the docks (or even before you depart) - you KNOW that you're going there to rescue Imoen, so you're simply leaving a space for her.
    Ihatememes
  • IhatememesIhatememes Member Posts: 29
    I suppose you can leave her after restoring her soul.
    I think I've brought her every time except one because I find pure thieves useless. She's better than Nalia, and Jan annoys me and levels up like a sloth.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

I don't really feel the need to RP justify having someone wait at the Brynlaw docks, since the party cap of 6 has little RP justification anyway. But you can always say you are leaving someone there to keep an eye on the ships and try to book passage.

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across this while researching advice on this topic, and found yours to be very useful.

However, I think there's a very simple way to RP leaving someone at the docks (or even before you depart) - you KNOW that you're going there to rescue Imoen, so you're simply leaving a space for her.

Because every adventurer realizes that you can only have six members inba party...
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Ihatememes wrote: »
    I find pure thieves useless.
    they are surely not so, can be really powerful from the beginning of soa to the end of tob.
    i could write pages and pages on what a thief can do and how he can make "impossible battles" a piece of cake. just trust me as i used them a lot as is the class i have more fun playing, even if i think that the arcane casters are superior power wise.
    let's say that you have only scratched the surface of their real potential, and this is fine, if your playstyle and your way of having fun differs from mine there is no problem, as long as you are having fun.
    but please be aware that pure thieves are not useless, even if is possible that you will never do the research and experimentation to use them for something more than disabling traps and opening locks.

She's better than Nalia
    using the 3 rings that improve thieving capabilities and if needed memorizing the arcane spell that opens doors and containers nalia is perfectly able to be the party thief for the whole soa and tob. she can also tank the traps she can not disable with mirror images or spell immunity.
    she also gains experience before you rescue imoen so will be a better mage, getting earlier really important spells like improved haste, projected image and time stop or improved alacrity.
    so nalia is better than imoen. but imoen is more player friendly as she compel less to go to inventory and swap ring.

Jan annoys me and levels up like a sloth.
    jan has his special gear that combined with the rings make him one of the best thieves. he is also a good secondary mage, while both nalia and imoen can be primary mages as they are basically pure class mages with very few levels of thief.
    all the multi level up slower, but all the multi are really strong, jan surely does. he is op when he merges his thief and arcane in a combo. mislead and then backstab over and over, improved alacrity and then 7 spike traps in few seconds in a point when an enemy trying to chase him will pass. and on and over.
    all this count much more than the 1 or 2 levels he will be back from a pure thief or pure mage.
    but as you don't use the thieves, you want only someone that disable traps and open containers, i understand your point of view. just be aware that is completely related to your playstyle, with other ones him being a multi is his real force.

ThacoBellSirBaldur
  • IhatememesIhatememes Member Posts: 29
    Yeah, you're right I'm probably too biased. I personally don't use traps because they are so extremely cheesy that you might as well just turn on cheats and kill with console command. I don't want to spawnkill neutral enemies before they go hostile all the time, there's no sport in that. Backstabbing is cool, but all the ones worth stabbing cast Truesight when you enter the room or they just immune - Stalker is better at that than a single-class thief anyway. Guess pure thieves are just not for me.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    yep probably are not for you, and that is fine, at each one his style.
    about traps i never set them before enemies spawn and never with still blue circled enemies, but there are more fair uses for them. i use them often in beholder lairs after exploring them with my thief and then lure the beholders into them, i had used them with dragons, having them following some toons in a corner as the thief sets them in the opposite one, then again i lure the dragon into the traps, and so on. this way are just powerful, not cheesy. to use traps in a fair way needs planning and some finesse.
    about stabbing and true sight the cloak of non detection make the thief immune, as long as is using hide in shadows and not a potion or a spell to go invisible. for me the real problem is stoneskin that absorbs the backstab. but with proper timing a mage can breach the enemy mage and the thief can kill him before he has time to cast stoneskin again, planning is crucial also in that case. a thief hasted can also backstab to death a warrior with many hp, that other way would have killed him in no time. find the right place of the dungeon with 2 corners with low light and after the first stab the thief runs, passed the corner, the short moment that the warrior is not in his sight he hide. the warrior will wait near the point where the thief has disappeared. repeat running past the other corner until the warrior is dead.
    playing a stalker is also very fun, has a worst multiplier, but is a better fighter with good thac0 and apr, can not perform some thieving tactics and deal with traps and locks, but for scouting and backstabbing is very similar to a thief.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Because every adventurer realizes that you can only have six members inba party...

After three full chapters of being forced to swap party members in and out, they certainly would!
    gorgonzola