Skip to content

You need a tank? Call Aerie!

Do golems hurt your feellings (and flesh too)? Do demons and dragons offend you? And even Demogorgon himself (well, his avatar actually) takes you pocket money? Say all of them NO! But it's even better let Aerie say them NO!

Equip Aerie with 'Cloak of the Sewers', 'Defender of Easthaven' (in shield slot) and the 'Ring of Gaxx' (for example), add some situational magical defenses, turn into a RAT and go forward - to tanking! For justice! Squeak!

But if seriously, ANY character capable of holding in hands (or rather,in LEFT hand, i.e. shield slot) 'Defender of Easthaven' and turning into a rat by 'Cloak of the Sewers', is able to withstand any amount of physical damage - all physical defenses are at 100%! Its something like a IWD druid in water elemental form (plus 'Armor of Faith' spell, for example), but a little more universal and available at almost any party level and not dispellable.
ElysianEchoesRaduzielGusindaRik_Kirtaniyagorgonzola[Deleted User]

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.
    kotophey
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Because 100% physical resist but 10 ac, add fire shield and blade barrier. Your enemies will hit you often but killing themselves.
    StummvonBordwehrronaldogorgonzola
    Also from this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=895942694

Chain Contingency
    Aura of Flaming Death + Globe of Blades + Blade Barrier - Double blades AND yet another Fireshield-ish effect. This is the penultimate Hedgehog combination.

Regenerate + Improved Haste + Protection from Magic Weapons - Another "second wind" loadout, this casts a strong regen on your character, hastes you AND gives you breathing room for regen to kick in.

There are many more combinations waiting to be discovered, but these should get you started.
    Feel free to experiment, you might accidentally stumble on some truly earth shattering combos by yourself!
    Gusindagorgonzola
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    Danacm wrote: »
    ...but these should get you started.
    Its to late for me, sorry :'(

But if seriously, I'm just over 40s and I have been playing BG (not EE) almost since its release. Therefore, everything that you have listed above is long time wellknown to me. I made this post for laughter, just to amuse a people.

But anyway, thanks for your work (and your extremely serious attitude to the topic :| ), its may come in handy for newcomers.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Danacm wrote: »
    i gave a look at that guide and the description of holy power in the self buf is wrong about the thac0 bonus. using that spell the thac0 is set equal tho the one of a fighter of the same level of the cleric , is not added a thach0 point for each level of cleric as wrongly stated.

edited March 2019
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    i gave a look at that guide...

No offense to anybody, but this 'guide' is extremely superficial and basic, if I may say so. The spell description as if straight from 2001, a spell combinations are quite obvious, etc. and so on.

Just to not to be unfounded, let's go through the spell lists. Where is:
    • 'Command' (super spell on early levels and good interrupter on later stages, especially for clerics/druids enemy types);
    • 'Shillelagh' and 'Spiritual Hammer' (2 attacks without penalties, 3 with Haste (potion too) and 4 with Improved Haste);
    • 'Invisibility Purge' (early dispel of ALL types of invisibility);
    • 'Farsight' (joy of joys for any summoner);
    • 'False Dawn' (poor, miserable liches);
    • 'Physical Mirror' (Kuo-Toa shooters, Ravager, Fallen Solar and Meleissan killing themselves and more);
    • 'Earthquake' (ignore MR and almost guaranteed mass disabler for 4 rounds);
    • 'Holy Word' (two castes in a row and any evil caster can only burn you by its evil look);
    • 'Sunray' (capable instantly killing demilich).

Where is the non-standard usage of spells? For example, 'Free Action' and 'Magic Resistance', casted on a dragon right before a fight , will significantly simplify his killing. Why not a word about 'Blade Barrier' ignoring MR? Etc and so on. And this, for notice, only a cleric's spell list.

In general, it's quite sad.

Edit: That hilarious google translate! :)
    gorgonzola
    @gorgonzola yes, other forums are not that well educated in terms of bgee games, but still has some useful information for beginners.
    gorgonzola
    @kotophey , @Danacm, i agree with both, that guide is not very deep, but can surely be useful for beginners.
    my intention was not to evaluate the guide quality, was only to report a mistake in the description of a spell and its effects, holy power sets thac0 to a certain level dependent value, does not act as a modifyer of the set value as wrongly stated. on the usefulnes of the guide each player has to make his own judgement depending on his own knowledge and experience.
    edited March 2019
    @Danacm

If I understand correctly that you are the author of this guide, right? If so, then I ask you not to take my criticism as a personal insult, I did not have such a task. Just in my opinion, if you really decided to write a guide, then you need to pay a little more time and attention to this. After all, I hope, while writing this gude, there was no overseer with a whip and a stopwatch standing behind your back? :) After all, all information, in one form or another, is in the public access to the network (including on this forum), and Google has not banned anyone yet (from people I know) ;)

In general, I vote for any of such guides, but there is no limit to perfection and you can always continue the work and add material, or completely redo it, especially if there is a desire and soul strength for this.

Edit: minor grammatical edits.
    No no, i never write any guides, and never criticize any. If there is misinformation, the best is to write the author or write somewhere the fails.
    gorgonzola
  • psychomaxpsychomax Member Posts: 3
    Aerie is my favorite tank. It might take some equipment in the process, but once you reach ToB, Aerie is unstoppable wielding (particularly) the Crom Faeyr.
    gorgonzola
    edited April 2019
    tip
    crom faeyr is probably wasted if used by a high level cleric, that can with his spells go to the battle with the thac0 of a fighter of his level and with 25str and other bonuses (hp, ac).
    also my tob aerie goes often mlee, dw and improved hasted for 4 apr, but uses foa, some high enchantment mace or hammer and leaves crom to some fighter that has no other way to bring str to 25 and has probably even more apr to stack the +14 dmg of str. or in other runs i don't even build crom to have more str enhancing items, it depends on the particular party i run.

to give crom to a cleric can be done and is effective, but almost never is the most effective choice if we want to maximize the whole party potential. its only benefit is that when not buffed, or buffed only with defensive spells, aerie retains some offensive power, even if less power then a properly buffed one using other weapons, for players that hate long buffing times and/or to waste sequencers and trigger to fast self buffing it can have its sense.
    butteredsoul