Skip to content

Question about obtaining the magical short sword.....

I have come to see that certain items/weapons/armor are randomly dropped, and some are more accustomed to the character class the player is using. I have also learned that some of the dropped/found loot is tied to what feats the main character has taken. What feat do I have to have to find the magical short sword (short sword +1) in the first chapter?

Comments

• SuperFunHappySuperFunHappy Member Posts: 44
    Weapon focus short sword I believe.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    another caveat to this as well is, once you hit those higher levels ( the higher level you are, the better items you find ) if you want you can do something that is called "fishing"

so for example, if you happen to find a container that holds your "character weapon" lets call it, you can actually save your game before you pick it up, and reload your game until you get something better

aka in chapter 4 after you defeat a certain someone and somebody, there will be a character weapon there, and i just saved and reloaded until i got the hammer of thunderbolts ( since i was using warhammers and the only way to get that hammer is to get it at that point from a random table )

this also works with any container that has random items in it as well ( like say the zoo hunter's chest, i usually keep reloading until i get the full plate +1 from it, granted if you are high enough level to get that item that is )
  • NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Member Posts: 173
    Hey guys, thanks for replying to this thread! sarevok57 and SuperFunHappy, thanks for the heads up, I will certainly keep that in mind!
    Side thought - I am wondering if I should make a fighter build character with the appropriate dual-weapon feat set. I know in the first chapter it is possible to get astral long sword and a fey duster short sword - a great combination of weapons, but I am a bit concerned if the dual weapon build is the way to go. Any thoughts?
    i did it with warhammers so then i can eventually dual wield hammer of thunder bolts ( one from OC and one from SoU )

the only thing to note is, you will only ever get 2 attacks in your off hand ( since NWN uses 3.0 edition rules, not 3.5 )

so you only need to ever have a dex score of 15

but with that being said, depending on how you like building your guys, it will be very difficult to have a high STR, 15 DEX, decent CON, and perhaps INT for skills and feats and still make it so you dont have 8 WIS/CHA

also remember your off hand weapon deals half your STR modifier for damage as well

that is why i hate this nonsense where your off hand has to be light to make your penalties better, ugh, it takes so many feats to have weapon focus and specialization in both

also in 3.0 you need to take ambidexterity and two weapon fighting so then your penalties aren't complete garbage

so in reality you better be planning on being a human because you are going to need as many feats as you can muster in the universe to make it worth while

with that being said, my guy i believe was a human fighter/bard/red dragon disciple and used normal sized warhammers the whole way through the OC, haven't played that SoU file in a while, but once i hit HotU i will be dual wielding hammers of thunderbolts and then things will really start getting crazy

so with that said, to make dual wielding as efficient as possible make sure your weapons are not only dealing damage, but have some whacky side effect type things as well ( aka weapons that hit causes an enemy to make a save or else something happens )

even against boss type monsters, they will always fail on a 1, so even if those save DCs on your weapons are complete garbage, you would be amazing on how often baddies will fail them
    Long story short, do you think dual weapons is a good, effective, feasible route to take in the OC?
    i dont really see why not, it especially helps at those lower levels when your attacks per round aren't so hot

what i did with my previous character i dual wielded the whole way through the OC, and then for the odd boss i had a back up shield just in case i needed a big AC upgrade to survive a bit longer
    I followed advice from this thread and gave my fighter weapon focus on short swords, so far so good. But I am in Blacklake and haven't seen the mysterious magical short sword. Any thoughts?
  • SuperFunHappySuperFunHappy Member Posts: 44
    I don't think there is one in Blacklake. You should be able to find one in a pyramid chest in the room where you fight the Intellect Devourer.
    I think I got a long sword out of that chest, which is the same weapon I have gotten from it the last few times I played through that quest. And I had already selected weapon focus on short swords before I got to to that room. This is frustrating, because I am basing a few feats with this character (fighter) on getting that magical short sword. :(
    I think I got a long sword out of that chest, which is the same weapon I have gotten from it the last few times I played through that quest. And I had already selected weapon focus on short swords before I got to to that room. This is frustrating, because I am basing a few feats with this character (fighter) on getting that magical short sword. :(

in the docks district i believe the store twenty in a quiver.... has a shop where buddy sells all the weapons at +1, not 100% sure if that is the correct name of the shop, but i do know there is a shop in the docks district where somebody sells +1 weapons
    I am a little perturbed here - I thought I needed to have weapon focus on a certain weapon to have it appear in a chest or shop, but apparently that is not the case. I have given my fighter character weapon focus on short swords and long swords, but am wondering if that was a bad move in the long run...? I could have selected two different feats if I didn't need those weapon focus feats to get the right weapons. As far as I can tell, choosing those two feats limits my character to those two types of weapons for dual wielding later in the game. Any thoughts?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Usually you take a weapon focus with your fighter because you want to progress on to weapon specialization, power critical, improved critical, and that whole chain of feats with one weapon, and/or so you can take a prestige class that requires a weapon focus, such as Weapon Master or Divine Champion.

So, it might have been a bit of a waste to take a second weapon focus. You will get +1 to your base attack bonus for using either of those two weapons, but you are not restricted to using them.

It will not affect your dual-wielding, other than that you'll get the +1 bonus to BAB when using one of your weapon focus weapons. Dual-wielding is a separate chain of feats (Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, etc.)

You'll probably prefer to use the two weapons you took the focus in to get the +1 bonuses, but you are not limited to them, if you find a good weapon that you don't have a focus in but you want to use. Remember that using a light weapon in your off hand gives you a bonus, so short sword is actually a pretty good focus to go along with dual-wielding.
    Crap. If I wasted a feat there, not sure if I should start over with a new character or roll with the one I have now. I am planning on having dual weapons - astral blade (long sword) and fey duster (short sword). I would hate to start over, because this is the third fighter character I have made.... I usually come to some epiphany about feats and need to restart my game.
    instead of starting over you could either use a character editor or the cheat console to change your feat around
    How do I do that?