Skip to content

What is the best weapon for a Kensai/Thief?

My main character is a level 13 Kensai/ level 14 Thief.

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    What proficiencies have you chosen? The choice at this stage will be dictated by where you have put your weapon skill upgrades. The ninja-to of the scarlet brotherhood will be ace when you get the use any item high level ability as an off hand weapon. Long swords are fairly strong across the game. If you like back stabs there is a great late game dagger and a great returning throwing dagger in mid / late SoA
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    it really depends.
    i probably would go for staff gm.
    cause you find a +4 staff right at the beginning of the game, and the ram one is crazy strong later, and the staff has long reach so is good for backstabbing, being also possibly the most damaging backstabbing weapon, and to fight behind a tank/summon, extremely important until uai and useful later. the staff of striking is also good for stabbing, but a 13->14 should have the strength to go to take the ram one without any problem, it can still be useful in the downtime.
    with uai also the sotm can be used for dispell on hit. and there are staves with chance to vorpal kill elementals and some kinds of golems.
    with staff mace is possible to dw with belm/kundane and later scarlet.
    the crushing weapons are the less resisted in the game and have gm in staff is also good for that.
    the other points in my opinion have to go in 2 hand weapon (double chance of crit fighting and stabbing), dual welding ( possibly only 2 pips ) and dagger, init the more the better cause the returning daggers will be your ranged weapon of choice.
    also with a returning dagger in mh and a speed weapon in oh, or later crom for 25 str, you can pull out a good apr, thing that my proposed build lack of.

also other builds are as good, but this is what i like.

but if you have already the toon @ilduderino is right, you have to chose the weapons according with he proficiency and not the opposite. you have also avoided to tell us anything about the party memebers or if maybe want to go solo as there is not a best build for a class, only for a whole party...
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Staff is a solid choice as is katana for celestial fury.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    true, and i like cf very much, was the weapon of choice of my last kensage.
    still i think that staff is better for a dual, even if i don't care much about "the best build" or "the best weapon" as the tactical strength of the player is much more important to beat the game.
    is better for a dual cause the thac0 of a f13->T will never improve beyond 8, the kensai get some more by the kit, but even with all the best equipment to boost thac0 will have problems against the end game enemies ac. upgraded ram give some more thac0 compared to cf and hindo's doom that is the highest enchantment katana.
    for a multi ft the katana is a good choice, even if the multi can only specialize so don't have to stick to a single weapon and maybe can use ram for stabbing and cf against multiple foe that can be stunned...

• 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    ilduderino wrote: »
    What proficiencies have you chosen? The choice at this stage will be dictated by where you have put your weapon skill upgrades. The ninja-to of the scarlet brotherhood will be ace when you get the use any item high level ability as an off hand weapon. Long swords are fairly strong across the game. If you like back stabs there is a great late game dagger and a great returning throwing dagger in mid / late SoA

His weapon proficiencies are: Long Sword - Proficient, Two-handed Sword - Grandmaster, Dagger - Proficient ; Fighting Styles: Two-Handed Weapon Style - Specialized, Sword & Shield Style - Proficient, Single-Weapon Style - Proficient, Two-Weapon Style- Proficient.