Skip to content

Charmed animals keep attacking

I never use Charm or Domination spells (with the one exception in BG2 Underdark where the game doesn't give you a choice, the alternative being worse), so I found this out by chance and don't know what to make of it.

I just picked up Khalid and Jaheira and forgot they all come with several kinds of Advanced AI settings by default. I usually only use the AI to detect traps and tell my characters to either attack or keep their distance in case of enemy surprises, the rest happens manually.
Anyway, we were attacked by a horde of wild dogs and Jaheira, without asking, charmed one of them while the others were killed. When only the charmed dog was left, I noticed he kept attacking although he was green. I thought maybe someone was still attacking him while he was being charmed and then hit him when he was already green, but shouldn't he turn red again if that was the case?
When I stopped all attacks and made my group walk on, he followed, still green, but again biting Imoen's heels.

If that is how charm spells work, what is the purpose of them?
And if not, does it mean there is something wrong and I should post this in Support?

Comments

• Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    It sounds like a bug, yes.

But if you never use charm, does that mean that you usually kill the guy in the De'Arnise hold?
    Not giving more detail to avoid spoilers.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2019
    @Humanoid_Taifun
    Aaaaargh don't tell me there was a way around killing him and I never knew!
    I always hated that you can't do anything and wondered what a stupid situation to put you in. I was angry there are no dialogue options or things to get him back, I never even thought about spells! I could have saved him with a simple Charm spell? Why didn't Nalia give me a clue?
    Now this is where being narrowminded gets you. I always thought charm and domination are evil and cowardly, I never considered that you could use it to get someone back ?
    Glad I haven't left Athkatla yet in this BG2 run.
    Boy, this is embarrassing. Thank you.

On the dog matter: I'll post it in Support, tomorrow.
    Post edited by Arvia on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Arvia wrote: »
    @Humanoid_Taifun
    I always hated that you can't do anything and wondered what a stupid situation to put you in. I was angry there are no dialogue options or things to get him back, I never even thought about spells! I could have saved him with a simple Charm spell? Why didn't Nalia give me a clue?
    Now this is where being narrowminded gets you. I always thought charm and domination are evil and cowardly, I never considered that you could use it to get someone back ?

also for that dude in the de-arnise hold
    you actually dont even need nalia on your team, a successful dispel magic will also do the trick as well, funny thing is, i never used charm or domination on him, i always just used dispel magic, heh the more you know
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Arvia maybe there is a shout in the Dog's script inciting other Dogs to attack the LastAttackerOf(Myself).

Not sure, just a theory. Disabling AI or inputting another command to the dog should do the trick, I suppose.
    @Raduziel no, the dog kept attacking, even with AI switched off and commanded to go somewhere else.

@sarevok57 Now I feel like a complete idiot, thinking that one snap of a finger with Keldorn's special abilities would have done the job. But it's healthy to feel like an idiot from time to time I suppose. I seem to think like a dumb fighter and that's not really appealing. Maybe next time I should play a cleric or mage, to learn to appreciate spells a little more.
    Hm, I see I can only know for sure if it's a bug when there are no mods installed. I have the NPC project mod installed . And I don't want to start in Candlekeep AGAIN. So, I guess that I'll just ignore it and go on.
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    Arvia wrote: »
    @Humanoid_Taifun

FWIW,
    Nalia does comment in disbelief at the idea. I don't remember the exact line, and it's not meant to explicitly tell you that he's charmed, but it's definitely- along with his line about serving the Master- supposed to tell you something is off.

Also, be aware that he does get a saving throw- you might need more than one attempt. The Ring of Human Influence can help with that.