Skip to content

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (NO SPOILERS please)

2»

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Here's a cool thing
    The name Sekiro (隻狼) is comprised of two kanji, Chinese characters adopted by the Japanese in the fifth century. The first kanji, Seki (隻), refers to one part of a pair, and is likely a shortening of Sekiwan (隻腕), meaning one arm, or a one-armed person. The second kanji, Rō (狼), means wolf, and is read as Ōkami on its own (detached from other kanji). It seems likely then that Sekiro (隻狼) is in fact a shortening of Sekiwan no Ookami (隻腕の狼), or one armed wolf.

https://allgamers.com/article/7266/what-does-sekiro-mean-in-sekiro-shadows-die-twice
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    Here's a cool thing
    The name Sekiro (隻狼) is comprised of two kanji, Chinese characters adopted by the Japanese in the fifth century. The first kanji, Seki (隻), refers to one part of a pair, and is likely a shortening of Sekiwan (隻腕), meaning one arm, or a one-armed person. The second kanji, Rō (狼), means wolf, and is read as Ōkami on its own (detached from other kanji). It seems likely then that Sekiro (隻狼) is in fact a shortening of Sekiwan no Ookami (隻腕の狼), or one armed wolf.

https://allgamers.com/article/7266/what-does-sekiro-mean-in-sekiro-shadows-die-twice

Interesting to understand the origin of the name. In Dark Souls, the humanity is derived from the "dark soul". You can see by humanity sprites. Anyway, i don't have interest playing this game but the lore looks interesting.
    FinneousPJ
    edited March 2019
    Here's a cool thing

Interesting to understand the origin of the name. In Dark Souls, the humanity is derived from the "dark soul". You can see by humanity sprites. Anyway, i don't have interest playing this game but the lore looks interesting.

I really recommend trying it. It's so cool when you master the flow of combat in this game. One boss is definitely already top 5 for me in From portfolio.

Oh btw the One-armed Wolf is the player character :)
    Here's a cool thing

I really recommend trying it. It's so cool when you master the flow of combat in this game. One boss is definitely already top 5 for me in From portfolio.

Oh btw the One-armed Wolf is the player character :)

I don't like games that forces me to play as an fast swordsman. Don't know exactly the reason. Can't fell immerse in the game. The idea of fight an really large creature, fictional or not with such weapon never made much sense for me. Since the paleolithic period, spears was the most used tools against humans and big animals. That is a problem that i particularly have with most "jrpgs"(not saying that they are bad), while i can be anything on "wrpgs", from a Hussar charging and impaling enemies with my spear on M&B to an Lich reanimating dragons on M&B VIII, the fantasy of an fast swordsman that can cut metal armor like an lightsaber never was appealing to me. Nothing against those who like it.
    FinneousPJ
    My boy Mitch answers the annoying trope of "From should add an easy mode"

TL;DW they shouldn't
    SorcererV1ct0r
    My boy Mitch answers the annoying trope of "From should add an easy mode"

TL;DW they shouldn't

I completely agree. Is amazing to see games unaffected by modern day tropes

Respect the player base is what From Software is doing. Keeping an fair challenge.
    FinneousPJ
    I've been stuck on the final boss for hours now. Hardest final boss ever lol, and the final 3rd of the game was pretty surprising and awesome.
    I've been stuck on the final boss for hours now. Hardest final boss ever lol, and the final 3rd of the game was pretty surprising and awesome.

For those in the know about late game events

GRACIOUS GIFT OF TEARS
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I just got to the final boss and... uhh... Yeah. I'm completely stuck for now.

I may legitimately need to go farm skill points to give myself a leg up. I dont really know what else to do.

Yiiiiikes.
    FinneousPJ
    I just got to the final boss and... uhh... Yeah. I'm completely stuck for now.

I may legitimately need to go farm skill points to give myself a leg up. I dont really know what else to do.

Yiiiiikes.

@BallpointMan I still didn't beat it either :D I took a break, maybe I will do it tomorrow.
    BallpointMan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    This boss in particular seems to be driving this debate about difficulty in video games. And look, I don't believe From is obligated to make their game any way other than they see fit. But it is inarguable that sometime around the Bloodborne DLCs (and especially with the Dark Souls 3 DLCs) they bought into the idea that their games were primarily about being as hard as possible. And while before that they were certainly challenging, it was NOT what defined them. And now it is coming to define them. I mean, if we are now at FOUR phases that require almost pinpoint perfection the entire time, then why not 5 or 6 or 7??

And while I don't mind From's decisions, what I DESPISE is the "git gud" culture that has sprung up around these games. Because I bet if you made a venn diagram of people who espouse this viewpoint and repeat this phrase ad nauseam, it would overlap nearly perfectly to all the other absolutely toxic elements of online culture.

Back in the days of Nintendo (and even some earlier SNES and Genesis games) the difficulty was on this level, but it was because of necessity more than anything else. If Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden didn't require near perfection, the games could have been beaten in less than 5 hours. I'm not sure any of this still applies in a modern context. There is a thin line between challenge and requiring absolute perfection for 5-10 minutes in a row.
    BallpointManFinneousPJ
    Yeah. I largely agree. I dont think I want to ask for From Software to make these fights easier, necessarily. That said, I do think this is more punishing in Sekiro than in any From Software game before it, simply because of the way you go about empowering yourself.

Theoretically, in any of the Dark Souls games - because your stats can be customized so much, you can begin to mold your character to get a leg up against a particularly challenging boss fight. Or you could farm reagents to level up a weapon.

In Sekiro, there's really only one farm-able way to increase your character in the late game... and I dont think it's going to do a lot of good when the boss in question can 2 shot you and requires near perfection to win by breaking posture.

The level to which I am stuck right now reminds me of Fume Knight from DK2. That guy was completely insane.
    jjstraka34FinneousPJ
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Yeah. I largely agree. I dont think I want to ask for From Software to make these fights easier, necessarily. That said, I do think this is more punishing in Sekiro than in any From Software game before it, simply because of the way you go about empowering yourself.

Theoretically, in any of the Dark Souls games - because your stats can be customized so much, you can begin to mold your character to get a leg up against a particularly challenging boss fight. Or you could farm reagents to level up a weapon.

In Sekiro, there's really only one farm-able way to increase your character in the late game... and I dont think it's going to do a lot of good when the boss in question can 2 shot you and requires near perfection to win by breaking posture.

The level to which I am stuck right now reminds me of Fume Knight from DK2. That guy was completely insane.

We went from Ornstein and Smough, to Manus, to Fume Knight, to Orphan of Kos, to Sister Friede and Midir, and now we have this. From just seems to be stuck in a death spiral of increasing difficulty that they now have no way out of. I mean, I'm not at this fight, nowhere near it, but I have watched it for purposes of this discussion. And imagine taking Gherman (who everyone universally regards as great), then adding the AOE lighting effects of Orphan and Gael, and THEN pulling what they did with Friede, which is having a first phase that (no matter how much you master it) simply serves as an additional time-sink every time you do the fight that only serves to drain healing resources. Would this fight be easier if that prelude fight wasn't included every time?? Maybe not drastically, but it would sure as hell be less annoying after your 20th and 30th attempts to not have to prove you can beat it again when you clearly can.
    FinneousPJ
    I don't think it's that bad. But I do need to git guder here before I can beat it. People are saying once it clicks for you it's pretty easy, I had that with the big boss at Ashina Castle.
    On that note

I don't think it's that bad. But I do need to git guder here before I can beat it. People are saying once it clicks for you it's pretty easy, I had that with the big boss at Ashina Castle.

I'm curious if that'll be the case for me too. I had a similar reaction with the Ashina Castle boss. Once I figured out what to do, the fight when from a grind-fest to a brilliant encounter.

That said, it took me a LONG time to get there with that boss. Dozens of tries.
    FinneousPJ
    @BallpointMan That boss is my favourite swords-fighting boss in a game ever.

In other news, Sekiro is From's most successful launch to date https://wccftech.com/sekiro-2-million-sold/

Interesting how Activision is now calling it "a franchise"
    BallpointMan
    Yeah. Once I understood what to do, the fight was probably my favorite boss fight encounter in a From game.

That is interesting. I hadnt seen anything myself, but a friend at work told me that Miyazaki said he didnt want to do iterative releases anymore (Meaning, No Sekiro 2). Which, to be honest - would be sad. I think Sekiro has been the best game in this format yet.
    @BallpointMan There's still DLC to look forward to. I think it's obvious Miyazaki and FS work best when they're doing something new, letting their creativity really fly. I'm not disappointed if they don't do Sekiro 2, or at least, move it off to the B-team.
    BallpointManSorcererV1ct0r
    Only to put an video that has good arguments for "accessibility", i strongly disagree with the video, but the guy has good arguments. IMO the focus on accessibility is what is ruining the game industry. The fantasy of playing with a swordsman doesn't appeal to me? Then Sekiro is not for me. I an not saying that is a bad game, only that is not for me. Not every game on the earth needs to be made for me. Thanks to the focus on "wide audience", there aren't many good modern RPG's and RTS's games.

From Software has an hard action game formula and i really believe that if a "easy mode" comes today, tomorrow will be streamlined combat and an challenge will not be even an option. But i still recommend the Jim video, he debunks many of my previous points. I still don't like the idea of an easy mode by different reasons.