Skip to content

Touch controls for Windows ?

WiredWired Member Posts: 1
edited October 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi

Will it be possible to play the game with touch controls in windows? There are a lot of Windows 8 Pro tablets that will be released soon, and I would like to know if I will be able to play it without a mouse and keyboard like on the ipad?

I didn't really find an answer to this.. only that it will not work on Windows 8 RT.
Post edited by Wired on

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    Trent has mentioned that they tested it on a Windows 8 Pro tablet and that there is work to be done, but post ship work. That tells me that they do plan to offer touch support on Windows 8 devices but it will come as a patch.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It would be great if the Windows 8 tablet would allow you to use the same license for the game to avoid having to purchase it twice. But I don't know how the app store will work on the tablet.
    edited October 2012
    @Aosaw

Why would it be an issue? You can install games on Windows 8 just like you can any other version of Windows.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I just wonder how that interacts with a Windows 8 tablet. The code might be the same, but until I have it in my hands I won't really understand how it operates.
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Windows 8 will have its own Metro store, but anything that could be ran in Win 7 should be able to run in Win 8, in theory. That means it is logical to have it ran and installed with same license with the regular PC version.
    edited October 2012
    Aosaw said:

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. I just wonder how that interacts with a Windows 8 tablet. The code might be the same, but until I have it in my hands I won't really understand how it operates.

The major part of Windows 8 is the large, touch friendly icons on the Start Screen, which are just shortcuts to full screen applications. BG:EE could have Start Screen support, but it's not required to be touch compatible, it would just make the icon on the Start Screen all fancy like and have some drop down options.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    I think we all realize that touch controls aren't a requirement for the Windows release. But if they go through all of the trouble of creating a touch interface for the program to be used on the tablet releases, why not throw it on as an option for the Windows release? If the user doesn't have a touch screen they just won't enable it. It seems like such a no brainer to me that I just assumed that it would happen. It will be very disappointing if it does not.
    edited October 2012
    They are kicking around the idea of making a ARM version of the game for Windows RT. If that happens they will absolutely add touch interface as all Windows RT devices will be entirely touch driven. If they go through all the hassle to add touch to the game, I can't imagine they wouldn't bring that code over to the Win32 version.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Ahoy! At this very instant, the touch controls on Windows 8 respond the same way that a standard mouse does simply due to the way the game and Windows interact. We know this isn't ideal. We hope to be able to provide better support for proper iPad-esque multitouch and the like down the line, but it will not be in place prior to the initial release of the game.