Skip to content

Is it better to dual-wield two +5 weapons or to use one +6 weapon in BG2?

ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
My PC has been using the same two +5 weapons for my past three games of BG2, because they seem to be the best that I can find. I'm curious though about the +6 weapons and whether they might be better. I know a +5 is much better than a +4, so logically a +6 would be considerably better than one +5 weapon, but would it be better than two +5 weapons?

Also on a related note, are there any mods that you would suggest that add single handed +6 weapons and/or any other weapons/armor/shields of equal or greater power than the best that exist in the vanilla game? I'm getting sort of bored with the weapons currently available, so even if they were other +5 weapons, but just did something different I'd be interested. I currently have SCS and Shadows over Soubar, which added a few additional weapons, but as I've found so far, none that were better than those I already had.

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Go for the +7 weapons. You'll thank me later.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I prefer my hackmaster +12. He's the older brother of Lirlacor and much more enjoyable
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It largely depends on the situation - many times using high enchanted weapons is not optimal, for instance, you could dual wield Belm and Kundane, which are both +2 weapons, but you get 2 extra attacks per round for that (which for a class like Swashbuckler or Blade would result in a neat 4 attacks per round! )

But generally speaking - there are only a handful of people that are immune to +5 weapons, possibly just one on the top of my head that casts Absolute Immunity, so +6 weapons over +5 weapons isn't that much of a big deal of difference (most mages will go on using the more conventional Protection from Magical Weapons (both last just 4 turns, that's 24 seconds, or 4 spells *at best* by the enemy caster) but in general Breach does the trick - if not, then cast Spell Thrust first, followed by a Breach spell. Odds are that, in conjunction with true sight, any mage affected by these three spells will be left completely naked (rare exceptions apply)

So generally speaking, Enchantment of a weapon doesn't mean best weapon ever. For instance, Flail of Ages +3 - In my opinion, much stronger than various other weapons with superior enchantments - is able to bypass Stoneskin... making a mage get hit trice by elemental damage (which means 3 times chance to interrupt a spell while being cast!) and it slows (which means - mages cast spells by 33% slower with each successful slowing hit - It *is* cumulative, as I once tried it out on a mage of my own and after some 20 hits, he required about 10 seconds to cast a single magic missile spell XD )
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

I prefer my hackmaster +12. He's the older brother of Lirlacor and much more enjoyable

Mortianna said:

Where/how do you get either of these weapons or is this meant as a joke? The highest I've ever seen without cheats is +6. I think that nearly invincible shadow thief that comes out if you kill both the vampires and shadow thieves has a +10 sword or something, but even if you ctrl q him no one else can use it.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    There's KillSW01 which is an instant kill long sword that deals 1000 damage, which is a cheat weapon only (and I believe the weapon Arkanis Gath, the shadow thief, uses). +6 is the maximum enchantment, they're just talking as a joke about these +7 and +12 swords :)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    ARKdeEREH said:

Mortianna said:

Where/how do you get either of these weapons or is this meant as a joke? The highest I've ever seen without cheats is +6. I think that nearly invincible shadow thief that comes out if you kill both the vampires and shadow thieves has a +10 sword or something, but even if you ctrl q him no one else can use it.
    Jokes
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    And is it better to sleep with two B cup size girls, or one with D size? :/
    It really depends what you preffer.