Skip to content

Need help with WeiDU setup

Lazlo_ArcadiaLazlo_Arcadia Member Posts: 73
So I've been reading on the forums that the WeiDU utility is pretty much the Gold Standard with modding BGEE and other Infinity Engine games. I am assuming that WeiDU creates some sort of interface for installing / uninstalling mods, similar to what you see with Nexus Mod Manager. That said, when I go http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/new_compile.html and read the setup instructions I have absolutely NO CLUE what the hell I'm reading.

Now understand, I'm in my mid-40's with a college degree and a back ground doing IT Technical support. In short, I'm not a complete dummy. However, the instructions on the WeiDU page are written in such a way that there seems be an assumption that the reader has a strong understanding of advanced programming (which I do not). In fact even when trying to read the first paragraph I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.
Building WeiDU requires and/or is facilitated by the following:

Native OCaml (typically compiled with MinGW), obtained from ocaml.org.
A Cygwin-based *nix toolchain, particularly binutils and make from the Devel group. Perl is also required, but is normally installed by default. Optionally also git (Devel), openssh (Net), zip (Archive) and upx (Utils).
Cygwin-hosted MinGW-GCC, called mingw-gcc-core (Devel) or some such.
Elkhound (vide infra). For less configuration, place the elkhound binary in Cygwin's /bin directory. Bear in mind the make process does not like paths with spaces.

Once your environment is up, open the Cygwin terminal and wait for it to finish setting up your home folder. By default, this will be at c:\cygwin\home\<user>, where <user> is your Windows user name. This is where you will want to place your WeiDU source code and the Cygwin terminal is what you will want to use when you compile the source. Within the Cygwin environment, your home folder will have the shorthand ~ (tilde).

This concerns me as in virtually every case when asking for help on the forums I always see the same response: "please attach your WeiDU logs". Ok then....is there a Youtube video perhaps or maybe a website, or forum thread which actually shows the WeiDU setup / config process broken down into small words for us feeble minded types?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    This page tells you how to compile weidu yourself. Unless you want to make changes to weidu itself, you don't need it. There are precompiled versions available. And if you only want to install mod(s), usually they are already packaged with the weidu executable so you only need to download the mod.

Unzip the mod inside your game folder, launch the setup-XXX.exe (this is the weidu executable) and follow the instructions.

If you want an interface, you can try @ALIEN Project Infinity.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    Weidu log is a text file that is generated when installing mods using Weidu.

Every mod comes with a setup-modname.exe this is Weidu (as Lefreut explained above).

The Weidu.log is important because helps modders to better understand your game's set up so we can help you.

Another file that is generated when installing through Weidu is Setup-ModName.debug.

While the .log file tells us which mods you have installed (and their version), the .debug file tells us exactly how the installation process happened, so we can pinpoint where it failed and (probably) provide a solution.

It is a good practice to install mods through Weidu for those reasons - and on top of that things get way easier for the user/player.

As a side note, here's a tip for future bug reports: always attach the weidu.log and the mod's respective .debug files while stating which game (IWDEE/BGEE/BG2EE/PSTEE/EET) and version the issue (1.3, 2.3, 2.5 - you may check for those in the game's start menu). This routine will allow a much quicker and accurate solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lazlo_ArcadiaLazlo_Arcadia Member Posts: 73
    To everyone who has taken the time to answer, allow me to offer a sincere Thank You!! This was sorta driving me bonkers to be honest. I really appreciate the clarification.