I'm having so much laughter right now at the Cowled Wizards. I need a good laugh after a few frustrations the past couple days between a bugged quest, figuring out whole romance stuff, trying to juggle Aerie + Neera + Jaheira, etc. Here's what happens.
1) I set my CHARNAME alone in the Docks district by the Harper's Hold.
2) I set my party of Mazzy, Keldorn, Jan, and Aerie about 10 feet away, near Harper Hold door.
3) I have my CHARNAME cast a level 1 spell to piss off the Cowled Wizards.
4) They gate in, give me a warning, I ignore them, wait 1 hour game time, and cast another level 1 spell.
5) The instant I finish casting my level 1 spell, I have my CHARNAME and Aerie simulatenously start casting Horrid Wilting targeted on the area between CHARNAME and the party.
6) The Cowled Wizards gate in, tell me "Unsanctioned magic! You pay the price!" schtick.
7) The second after their dialogue ends, my two Horrid Wiltings hit at the same time.
8) Whole wizard party dies instantly.
9) I go LOL'ing like a madman, and repeat the process.
9A) Run out of Horrid Wilting? Use Fireball, Cone of Cold, Cloudkill, Death Fog, etc. at nighttime with no civvies around. Run out of these spells? Use thief traps and ranged attacks while my melee guys get right in the wizzies teleporting faces.
10) Once I run out of wizard spawns, I reload the game and repeat the process, with some more LOL's.
I hate these stuck up sons of bitches. They claim magic would destroy the city. Just look at the other towns and cities like Baldur's Gate, Bergost, Nashkel, Trademeet, Innsbruck, etc. They function just fine with mages casting spells and no Cowled Wizard "police" there. And strangely enough, they don't "police" houses, taverns, sweers, and the like in Athkatla, and they only "police" outdoors of the city.
I'm surprised they haven't been overthrown or killed off. If they fall for such ambushes repeatedly, that shows blind incompetence. And then ask random people to read Armor, Infravision, or whatever scrolls to lure even more wizzies to ambush and death. Any real policing organization would, y'know, scout the area first before walking up to apprehend the suspects. Or prepare spells *before* teleporting in. Considering that Athkatla is full of thieves who, y'know, skulk around, backstab, and do traps, and everyone knows about the Shadow Thieves being there.