Skip to content

Companion Quest Timers

So several of your companions have personal quests that only trigger after they've been in your party for a while. (Up to a week or more, in some cases!) Is it necessary to keep them in your party all the time for their timers to count down, or can you safely replace them and then come back to them later?

Alternatively, is it possible to alter global variables to have the next event trigger immediately? If so, how would that be done?

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    1 i don't know it.

2 it is possible if only the timer trigger the next event. i would say that for the original npcs it is always so, only jaheira is an exception, and i am not sure if it is so for her quest or only for her romance. the ee npcs probably need more then to tweak the timer as their quests are longer and probably you have to reach certain points of the game.
    to change the timers value can be easily done with eekeeper, you have to locate the timer variable, that has probably the name of the npc in its name and change the value. i am not sure about how the value in the timers is related to the in game time, but you can try to increase the value in steps and see what happens.
    always keep some save to revert if you mess up something.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    edited May 2019
    You need to decrease the values of timers to make them run out, not increase them.
    The list of variables is very long. You may be intimidated at having to find the right variable to edit. But keep in mind that timers generally have very long numbers. So you can just scroll through the list and ignore everything with numbers of 5 or less digits.

I personally tend to find editing the timers relatively intuitive and easy. But I have been playing this game for a while, so YMMV.

Edit: As for editing timers, just set them to 1. When you load the edited save-game, you wait for 20 seconds. If you get the desired result, you did right. Otherwise you are either on the wrong place or you did wrong. In that case you can just reload the unedited save-game, travel somewhere else, save the game and try again.
    Some triggers require wilderness, others require city. Some require you to be outdoors, others require you to rest at an inn.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Thanks for the info, Taifun. :) I'll give that a try later. The one I'm currently waiting on is Hexxat, and according to her wiki page it only triggers in cities, so I'll be sure to hang out in Amn while fiddling with the variables.

The other thing I'm currently waiting on is Jaheira's personal quest. It says it can be delayed if you're in a romance with her, although the romance seems to have stalled for a few days now. (Thanks to the G3 Tweaks mod, I've already finished Aerie's romance, and Viconia's romance is about 3/4 of the way through. ) I'm not sure if the romance is now waiting on Jaheira's personal quest to launch, or if perhaps it doesn't get triggered till Chapter 3 (I'm still in Chapter 2.)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    to progress the jaheira's romance at a certain point you have to sleep in the wilderness, maybe it is your case, or maybe is the long timer.
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    To my experience with characters like Anomen, Edwin, Hexxat, Rasaad, Jan and Nalia and their personal quests; it is save to kick them out to your liking and boot them back, if you feel like the time is spot on.

Example Anomen: Join with him, do what you like, send him to the copper coronet, take an other character in to your party like Edwin, Hexxat or go solo or what else you can think of. Then take him back and the timer might have reached the trigger point right after you leave with him the inn and the first or second messenger appears. - This will work, even when you put the underdark-chapters in between (exception: Hexxat and ?).

Same as with Edwin, Nalia and Rasaad. Hexxat needs an expired timer, a "special daytime" and a right spot, but you can handle this in the same manner like the other chars, if you do not wish to take her into chapter 3 you have to wait until she is done with L.

The hardest timer I know of is Mazzy's timer. When I send her home, I do not see any progress, when I take her back. So, she is the last one in my walk-through through the personal quest of the npcs. Lots of travelling around with her, though.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Thanks for the info, Clubboth! I guess I'll go ahead and starting picking up all the NPCs so I can start their triggers. Unfortunately I couldn't find an obvious candidate for Hexxat's companion quest global variable, and I'm reluctant to randomly change variables without having at least some idea of what they do, so the knowledge that I can drop her safely in the Copper Coronet and come back in a week is most useful!