Skip to content

Dorn's peacefully path

Hi,

from role playing perspective of lawful good charname is there any way to convince Dorn Il-Khan to NOT kill any innocent person? Or go through his companion quest without reputation lost? Or the only lawful good option is to kill him on the spot before entering the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart building?

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I've yet to encounter Dorn in BG2, so I can't say for certain, but I've heard that it's possible to convince Dorn to betray his demonic patron later. What exactly happens after that is, again, something that I haven't experienced personally, so I don't know what kind of ramifications it might have for ToB. (Can he be redeemed if you take this path? Perhaps somebody else can answer these questions.)
    [Deleted User]
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    edited April 2019
    @Zaxares

I've read that he can be freed from his demonic patron at the end of the quest, but can I somehow accomplish this without slaying paladins, clerics and other innocent people...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Hadar Dorn will never change.
    ilduderino
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Haters gonna hate and Dorn is full of it
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    But does making Dorn betray his patron have any ramifications on his quest in ToB (if he has one)?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited April 2019
    As far as I can remember (I've only gone this route once) if Dorn betrays both his patron and the other potential patron he loses his Blackguard status immediately (so no PW etc.) and in his ToB quest his name ends up on a "naughty list". I think his alignment remains the same though.
    ThacoBell
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    You cant save every soul, and Dorn is evil, and stays evil, and he likes it.
    ThacoBell
    @Danacm

I don't want to save Dorn's soul, I just wonder do I have any option other than just killing him (from lawful good perspective) :pensive:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hadar wrote: »
    @Danacm

I don't want to save Dorn's soul, I just wonder do I have any option other than just killing him (from lawful good perspective) :pensive:

No. Blackguards are basically anti-paladins. Their entire existence and reason to live is to spread as much evil as possible and to kill as many servants of the good deities as possible. Especially paladins.
    gorgonzola
    #DornIsDead :/
    It’s funny how the game lets us redeem two evil character but not corrupt any good ones. Does anyone ever ask how to corrupt Keldorn or Mazzy?
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    You do not consider turning Anomen to CN a corruption?
    gorgonzolaThacoBellDJKajuru
    I hadn’t thought of it that way, he stays neutral (his LN rconversations with Mazzy are pretty horrible, as are many of his views on common people etc) and just becomes a different sort of goober by being CN. If anything it feels like you are redeeming him by making him LG
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    it has also to be told that charname himself can be corrupted, and is really easy to do it, both if is good or neutral, while an evil one can perform all the choices he likes, without the risk, or hope, of a redemption.

i am not saying that it is a good implementation, i would have preferred a way in which some good character can be corrupted, if it suits with rp and his personality, but with the chance to start in a given alignment and the chance to change it according to your decisions.

i know about the evil taint in charname's soul, but if a good aligned one diverges only in 1 hell trial from it, even if in the other 4 and in the rest of the game do always good choices he falls and become evil, while a neutral or evil one even if takes all good choices do it without consequences.
    if the taint is active and can turn to evil at the slightest error also to resist to it should have consequences imho.

i personally would have liked to start neutral and have a change in alignment, to have more meaningful choices that gives more depth to the rp aspect, now i feel it more like some enforced limitations on the player's choices.
    don't do this or you will fall as pally, don't do that or your alignment is changed to evil and so on.
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    It would be fun to start character generation with an alignment test (like the one from wizards of the coast)
    gorgonzola
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Freeing Dorn is cool from a RP perspective if you're good, non-chaotic neutral or non-lawful evil, but you don't get anything in return, do you? He loses his blackguard kit, spells and special abilities.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    Freeing Dorn is cool from a RP perspective if you're good,........, but you don't get anything in return, do you? He loses.........
    yes exactly, this is to be good, you value more goodness then your personal gain in the things you do.

still i am not sure that a good oriented charname can free dorn without before helping him to do a lot of evil things, so i am not convinced that there is really a good oriented choice in bg2 to have him in the party.

my good oriented choice is always to kill him the first time i meet him and he ask me to help him murder people at a wedding if i play a "keldorn like" good oriented charname or to refuse and let him go his way if i play an "aerie like" one.

Hadar
  • XorinaXorina Member Posts: 138
    I just solve the whole issue by assassinating him where he stands in the FA Inn.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    You can get through Dorn's SoA quest with minimal reputation loss, but you will still kill a bunch of good folk along the way.
    You lose one rep for recruiting him in SoA, and that's irreversible unlike the penalty for having him join in BG1.
    The first quest can be completed without further rep loss - choose dialogue that leads to a duel between Dorn and Bollard, then don't slaughter the whole group.
    You can talk to Telwyn and avoid a fight there.
    The Helmite camp penalizes you by one rep when the targets Hokkney and Terpfen die. As long as you don't kill the innocent cook, you don't lose any more.
    There aren't any rep losses after that, regardless of your choices.

So, the minimal evil route is two points of reputation lost. And with all the sets of full plate that enemies drop, it's very easy to buy that back.

I've been thinking of a mod concept I'm calling "Dorn's Third Option". It would give Dorn the chance to make a new deal and get his powers back if you free him. Of course, that comes with its own risks and costs...
  • Granger77Granger77 Member Posts: 14
    jmerry wrote: »
    You can get through Dorn's SoA quest with minimal reputation loss, but you will still kill a bunch of good folk along the way.
    You lose one rep for recruiting him in SoA, and that's irreversible unlike the penalty for having him join in BG1.
    The first quest can be completed without further rep loss - choose dialogue that leads to a duel between Dorn and Bollard, then don't slaughter the whole group.
    You can talk to Telwyn and avoid a fight there.
    The Helmite camp penalizes you by one rep when the targets Hokkney and Terpfen die. As long as you don't kill the innocent cook, you don't lose any more.
    There aren't any rep losses after that, regardless of your choices.

So, the minimal evil route is two points of reputation lost. And with all the sets of full plate that enemies drop, it's very easy to buy that back.

I've been thinking of a mod concept I'm calling "Dorn's Third Option". It would give Dorn the chance to make a new deal and get his powers back if you free him. Of course, that comes with its own risks and costs...

Omg I would absolutely love a mod like "Dorn's Third Option". I love him, but can't always take him because of his BG2 quest. I've looked for mods that allow you to redeem, but they don't seem to exist yet! The closest thing would be "Jacob's Ladder", but I still think you might have to do his BG2 quests with that one.