Skip to content

SPEARS! any good??

griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
I have played through BG quite a lot of times and not once have i felt the need for myself or any of my characters to use spears. The same applies to IWD (personally) so just wondered what people thought

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I personally found spears and halberds to be rather underwhelming in BG1. In BG2 you can gain some really good spears early on if I remember correctly, and there are some really nice Halberds you can acquire as well. Then in ToB you have arguably the best weapon in game which is a +6 Halberd with a chance to instakill with no save.

In IWD and IWD2 there are really nice Spears and Halberds in both games, especially towards the end of those games.
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    Spears/Halberds are a decent weapon to involve characters that you don't want to go into melee to actually melee. The extra length of the weapon lets you stand behind the main "tanking" character and hit with little to no chance of being harmed. The same goes for quarter staves and great swords.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Staff Spear (although technically not a spear...) rules!
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

In short, yes. Spears are great.
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    I wish there were some smaller spears that you could use with shields. Would make them more useful
    The beauty of the spear is its range... all 2 handed weapons get greater range... fighting in a doorway and can only get a 1 to 1... equip a spear/halberd/quarter staff/great sword on those behind the person engaged in 1 to 1 and you get 2 to 1 or 3 to 1, not to mention your ranged units still firing.

I tend to load up bow/crossbow users or casters with these weapons in their melee slot because they can still hit without being hit, given that someone else is actively taking the beating from the enemy.

Think I'm kidding get one of the larger golems stuck in a door way and hit them with one of these weapons... you should be able to hit them without them returning the attacks and sometimes you can avoid the poison gas they use as well, all from being just outside of their effective range.

This tactic can also be used by blocking any doorway with an invisible character or someone who is enclosed in an Ottiluke's resilient sphere in the doorway.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Or throwing spears. Now druids dont have to rely on sling and bullets for range attacks.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Some of the magical spears that appear in SoA might be useful but I think the basic spear - a two-handed weapon doing 1D6 - is a bit underpowered. I don't think I've ever put a proficiency pip in spears.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    spears should give a +1AC by nature, at least against single handed weapons.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    The best use of the halberd (due to its increased range) in BG1 is to surround Drizzt with the rest of your party and then dismiss them so he can't move. Then stand behind one of your former party members and let the bastard have it. :)
    In vanilla BG spear and halberds shared the spear weapon proficiency.

BG2 separated them, but it is still a good weapon spot for a few classes who can only put 1 pip in a weapon and don't use a shield... of course you could use quarter staves the same way... quite a few more of them available in game with effects for bards and druids, who I tend to give spears to.

Some of the magical spears that appear in SoA might be useful but I think the basic spear - a two-handed weapon doing 1D6 - is a bit underpowered. I don't think I've ever put a proficiency pip in spears.

They also do piercing damage, which is moderately better than slashing damage. Outside of Skeletons, I *believe* it's a damage type that manages to fair better than slashing against armored foes.

Also I think 3rd Edition bumped them up to d8, plus two-handed weapons in general gain 1.5x your strength score instead of just 1x. Not relevant to BG discussion. Just thought I'd mention.

Spears are mostly best used on fighter/druids. They can't use two-handed swords or halbreds. It's between spears or quarterstaves, and I'd say Qstaves are probably the better weapon type overall but there's just a lot of competition there as it's such a universal weapon type.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @sandmanCCL

I think the 3rd edition changes sound sensible. I think spears are far too weak in 2nd edition. Puncture wounds - the kind that would be inflicted by a piercing weapon - are generally far more dangerous than those caused by slashing weapons (though personally I'd be happy to avoid both).
    edited October 2012
    I was just thinking in terms of armors. That's something most people tend to forget about, is anything beyond regular leather grants additional bonuses. (In the way of giving enemies a penalty to their attack roll. Ugh, Thac0 is stupid.)

Full Plate grants an additional -3 AC vs. Missile and Piercing and -4 against slashing. Regular plate gives -1 vs. Missile/Piercing and -3 against slashing. Chain mail actually suffers +2 thac0 vs. crushing but gives an additional -2 vs. slashing. -3 Studded leather even gives -1 vs. M/P and -2 against slashing.

The only armor type that tends to differ is Splint Mail. That does -2 crushing, -1 M/P.

So long story short, crushing weapons are OP.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I did a recent run with a dwarf kensai focused on spears, I really enjoyed it. The only downside was a very slow turnover of equipment, especially once I had Impaler.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Miloch said:

Fighter/druids are best equipped with scimitars and shields rather than spears, unfortunately.

I never do that, for me it's that poisoned dagger with shield in BG1 and then Club in mainhand with belm in the offhand for BG2.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Spears are such a badass weapon, and you'd think they'd be more common in a medieval fantasy setting, which D&D kinda is. But alas, while there are some good spears, there aren't that many spears at all.

Still, if you're playing a character you think would use spears, use 'em! It's not like they're non-existant! :)
    Miloch said:

Fighter/druids are best equipped with scimitars and shields rather than spears, unfortunately.

That is a really good option.

BUT, they are pretty great with spears. Thing about fighter druids, at least in BG2, they can give up AC and still shrug off damage because of ironskins so going a two-hander or dual-wield set up doesn't really hurt your ability to defend all that much.

I'll definitely agree for BG1, sword and board is the way to go.
    You can't get a scimitar +1 in unmodded BG1 (an oversight I think) but you can get a scimitar +2 just by sneaking up onto the roof of Durlag's Tower and lifting it from one of the chimneys. And of course, you can get Drizzt's badass scimitars +3, any of which can make Jaheira a real ass-kicker. I tend to keep her in the back ranks with a sling since with my F/T, Khalid, Minsc or whomever, we hardly need another tank, but an F/D with ankheg armour and a scimitar can certainly fill that role.
    edited October 2012
    F/D can still use full plate. Don't have to use ankheg.

Also a druid can only use Icingdeath, not Twinkle. Twinkle is the one that gives +2 AC and requires you to be Good aligned. Icingdeath is a +3 weapon with an unlisted bonus of giving bonus fire resist (I wanna say 50%?). I've often utilized it on fighter/mages. I'll give them robes of fire resist, that sword and the ring of fire resist to boost it well over 100%, then run in and drop nukes on top of myself to heal myself while damaging everything else around.
    The +3 Frostbrand has 50% fire resistance, yeah. Should probably get the icon and get put in the description too. It does not cause any cold damage like you might expect though, whereas the longsword +2 ("Varscona") does an extra point of cold damage.
  • griffianogriffiano Member Posts: 26
    Wow so much more to spears then I thought, I just thought they were added to the game to add depth and nothing else. Going to try it out