Skip to content

Spell Revisions beta15

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    3. All spells install just fine on SoD. However, there are a few places where the AI doesn’t use SR spells optimally.

For instance, during the castle siege fight, when the enemies try to cast Blindness (changed by Obscuring Mist, an AoE cloud that reduces line of sight and penalizes melee and range thac0) at your allies, they create a huge cloud that penalize allies and foes alike. Also, with Dispelling Screen on, Belhifet just doesn’t use his Dispel ability for whatever reason. It does make the fight easier, because you can keep you buffs intact. Well, since Belhifet only cast Dispel once, you would have kept them on anyway, but it’s worth noting that he doesn’t even try with SR’s Dispelling Screen.

All in all though, there are only few instances where the spells are misused. Even if it’s not perfectly optimal, SR does work in SoD.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Thanks @Grammarsalad

I still have two questions regarding what Zaghoul wrote:
    Zaghoul said:

@Luke93 make this change in the lib file and save before installing. It will fix the problem I'm pretty sure.

"The spin203.spl issue is on line 2924 of /spell_rev/lib/kreso_eestatSR.tph:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~spin105.spl~ THEN BEGIN // innate bhalpower
    COPY_EXISTING ~spin203.spl~ ~override~
    LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT

It should COPY spin105, not spin203."

1. Is it still required that we do this fix when installing on SoD?
    2. Are there plans to integrate this fix into the SR-mod itself?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Loldrup I still have to make that change myself before it will install on my BGEE + SoD install. I just make the change regardless and have had no problems. I am also using the change from Tweaks anthology that modifies the Bhaalspawn powers (not sure if that makes a difference). You could try an install and see if it stops on that, as it will show up if needed. I'm not running the mod so can't speak to the update, but it would be nice. I have not seen it updated at G3 after a quick look,although I could be mistaken.
    Loldrup
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Hey there, i wasn't able to find the thread for the last version (16) of spell revisions on this forum. Any idea where it is ? I did a search though.

Also, is there somewhere a comprehensive and updated list of all the spells avaliable in the last version of the mod ? I could find a list of new spells, a list of changes, but couldn't get the full updated list, especially a list with all the spells by school, which would be useful since Spell Revisions changes a lot of schools.

Thank you
    kensai
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Palanthis I've not seen it here yet. The best way for info and the download is over at it's section at G3.
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=153
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Is this mod worth it? Asking because I don't know if it just subs one evil for another.

I know that you use only X spells in BG, but is it the same with this mod? I mean that after a bit you just use X spells as well, because the other are redundant.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    @Arthas if you feel a bit bored with your current spell selections, I think the mod would be worth a look. The mod not only changes the behavior of spells in various ways, but one of the aims is also to ensure there are no useless spells. No doubt you will still find that you prefer some spells over others as a result of the way you play the game, but it should no longer be the case that almost no-one would want to use a particular spell (like infravision for instance).
    ArthasZaghoulOlvynChuru
    AHAHAH
    the mention of infravision surprised me

were they able to make it better?

Thanks for answering :)
    @grondo
    edited May 2019
    @Arthas the infravision spell slot has been taken by something called True Strike - that gives you +10 to hit for 1 round. That may not be a favorite spell early on, but I could certainly imagine a pure caster making very good use of that when hurling something like MMMs at 10 APR with improved haste :p. If you want to quickly check out the sorts of changes made, you might want to glance through the readme.
    Arthas
    Thanks a lot Grond0, I appreciate your help.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Does anyone know about the component that allows spell turning and deflection to block area spells? I'm just interested in that component, is it 100 percent functional? Is there a specific install order for it? I can't find any info on it, the SR beta thread on G3 has links that are dead. Is it compatible with the spell changes from SCS?
    @Grond0 I forgot to ask you: do you always use spell revision nowadays?
    @Arthas I don't actually use it most of the time. I have several different installations of the game, but only one of them incorporates SR. That doesn't mean I think it's a bad mod, but I'm generally happy to run with games as published and explore extreme ways of playing within that - rather than feeling the need to change the basics.
    Arthas
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    It does, yes.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    @subtledoctor awesome, thank you! So I should install the deflection/turning component after SCS right? And it should work for both the party and for enemies?
    What's the name of the component that blocks aoe spells? I'm interested too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2019
    I want to implement some stat bonuses for save vs x spells/breath/death. How much bonus should be allowed?
    example; for save vs spells (usually Enchantments)

WIS stat BONUS
    1-3 autofail?
    4-5 -3
    6-7 -2
    8-9 -1
    10-11 0
    11-12 1
    13-14 2
    14-15 3
    16-17 4
    18-19 5
    20-21 6

etc.
    Reasonable?
    I can make regular saving throw tables "worse" so this ends up being quite balanced but what I'm worried about is that this will promote powergaming and all PCs would end up with 95+ stats.
    Note that AI will use same rules, i.e. a high WIS fighter would be much harder to Charm than a low WIS one.
    Grammarsalad
    @Aasim the bonuses for wisdom from 2nd edition rules are in the BG2 manual (though were not implemented in the final game) and you could consider using those as a base.
    3 -3
    4 -2
    5-7 -1
    8-14 0
    15 +1
    16 +2
    17 +3
    18-25 +4

I agree that might result in powergamers seeking ever higher stat totals. However, it would also greatly reduce the tendency to regard wisdom as a dump stat - which would be a good thing.
    AasimGrammarsalad
    edited June 2019
    Mind you, I'm a powergamer :)

Thing is; 3 stats will be inlcuded in this - WIS for spells, CON for death and DEX for breath. CON & DEX are usually maxed out on creation anyway, so this leaves only WIS as something you'll need to consider.
    Grond0
    I've ran into some issues - I can't get 326 opcode to work.
    Example:

I add 326 (apply effects list) as 1st effect (before damage) to spwi304 (fireball).
    parameters:
    STAT DEX >=specified value
    CREATURE VALUE = 18

resource = spell that adds +4 to saving throw vs breath

But it doesn't work. I've tried tweaking various parameters, but nothing adds up. What am I doing wrong?
    Ok, I think I know what's wrong but I'd like to be sure - does damage opcode always go first in game? I got 326 to work but it works after the damage effect...making it useless.
    edited June 2019
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Rather than trying to front-load and apply the bonuses to each target on every spell cast, why not just give people constant bonuses based on their stats?

I try to avoid repeating eff like the plague since 2012. :)
    (There's nothing you can do about max-maxing :tongue: )

Actually, there is. 3ed mod locks stats - start with 10 in everything, have extra 20 to distribute; going higher in cost as you invest more in a stat. It's beyond my knownledge on how to implement this, and it's kind of beyond SR scope anyway. Balance-wise, it's perfect. You want 18 strenght? Go for it; but it will cost you about 15 out of your 20 points to spend.
    I changed my save tables so each class has one good save starting at 12 and going to 4; two normal saves that go from 14 to 6; and two bad saves from 16 to 8.

Seems reasonable. If I can get this to work (I've got one more thing left to try...) I'd probably make base saves even worse.
    edited June 2019
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited June 2019
    I've got a thing that gives bonus turn levels for charisma. Feel free to use or not as you like. It uses SD's template, though:

https://github.com/Grammarsalad/Casting_Attributes/blob/master/B_Attributes/data/components/Setup_turn_charisma.tpa

Edit: a little quickand dirty that adds attribute values to splprot:

https://github.com/Grammarsalad/Casting_Attributes/blob/master/B_Attributes/lib/splprot_attributes.tpa

At some point I'll be implementing attribute bonuses to 'save dc' based on attributes. It's possible, by making spells check the caster for the relevant attribute and then apply a 1 sec save penalty to the target, but it's a real pita to implement if you want to do it differently for different classes/kits that use the same spells (e.g. if you want bards and sorcerers to get the bonus by charisma and mages by intelligence).

I've Also given intelligence based immunity to illusion spells, but it's...limited

https://github.com/Grammarsalad/Casting_Attributes/blob/master/B_Attributes/data/components/Setup_int_pnp_illusion.tpa
    I'm not on crappy hardware, but suffer from slowdowns in case a lot of creatures with effs tied to them appear at the same time (SoD being very sluggish in particular).
    Anyhow, thanx both. I'll see what I can do. I'd prefer my original idea for the sole fact that I can tune it as I see fit rather than adding generic save bonus (I don't want *all* spells or item effects to be affected by this), but c'est la vie.
    Is there really no way the damn "damage" opcode to be applied later than whatever I else I put before it?
    I tried changing the damage timing to delayed. Nothing.
    Add 1 sec delay to damage. Works, but looks awful.
    Tried a 146 cast spell opcode to cast a phantom spell that adds 326. No go..

P.s.
    Funny thing. I've added an animation to see what the delay on 326 is. It appears less than half a second after the damage. Where's that bang against the wall smiley when u need it?
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Aasim wrote: »
    I'm not on crappy hardware, but suffer from slowdowns in case a lot of creatures with effs tied to them appear at the same time (SoD being very sluggish in particular).
    Anyhow, thanx both. I'll see what I can do. I'd prefer my original idea for the sole fact that I can tune it as I see fit rather than adding generic save bonus (I don't want *all* spells or item effects to be affected by this), but c'est la vie.
    Is there really no way the damn "damage" opcode to be applied later than whatever I else I put before it?
    I tried changing the damage timing to delayed. Nothing.
    Add 1 sec delay to damage. Works, but looks awful.
    Tried a 146 cast spell opcode to cast a phantom spell that adds 326. No go..

P.s.
    Funny thing. I've added an animation to see what the delay on 326 is. It appears less than half a second after the damage. Where's that bang against the wall smiley when u need it?

That is a complication... I wonder if this is something that @Bubb could help with...

Hmmm, that really messes me up, too.

What about exporting opcode 12 to an external spell using 146?
    Aasim
    What about exporting opcode 12 to an external spell using 146?

Let's find out!
    Grammarsalad