Skip to content

Perfect Partys for trilogy! Some appreciated :)

Hi, Ive finished BG1 many times but not BG2 once... I`ve bought sometime ago all trilogy EE and want to run all the way to finish!

I want some help building a party mostly for BG2EE as in BG1EE I think i'll go with

BG1EE

Me Strong Archer type char Ranger kit Archer? Want to use the best ranged weapon on BG2EE (Firetooth it seems??)
Imoen or replacable NPC? Played to many times with her, maybe Safana?
Viconia (love the drow!)
Coran (the cheater!)
Edwin/Neera? (mage)
Fighter/Tank type char (help?!)

BG2EE

Me Archer type bows or firetooth
Viconia(For sure I want to romance and change her alignment)
Keldorn->Sarevok (When I can and change alignment)
Yoshimo->Imoen (plot wise)
Mage Npc
6th NPC

I´ll play mostly good but I can handle evil NPC's in party (I think!)

What say you?! Thanks

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2019
    Keldorn and Viconia will try to kill each other unfortunately

Mazzy Fentan is criminally underrated and I would strongly recommend her in BG2. Aerie is a powerhouse at high levels as a mage/cleric and has lots of interesting spell combos

As this is your first run, Minsc and Jaheira add a lot of flavour across both games. Minsc is solid and iconic but can be outclassed as the game goes on and he doesn’t have many quests. He is fun to have around though and I like the continuity. Jaheira is very powerful. She can heal, raise dead, tank with high AC and iron skins and disrupt mages with insect swarm etc. She also has a lot of extra content and remains powerful throughout

Imoen is a must have, she fills a mage / thief niche very well, has great stats and is essential
    plot wise

Edit: Archer is very powerful in BG and will remain so in SoA but will gradually diminish in ToB but remain strong throughout. Longbows are a weak weapons option in BG2 and ToB, shortbows are a better choice
    gorgonzolaBelgarathMTH
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited May 2019
    Yeah, for BG1 your choices are fine. Safana is a reasonable alternative for Imoen and can be found early on which is a bonus. Either Edwin or Neera is a nice choice for a mage. As for the sixth fighter type you could choose Kagain, Kivan or Shar-Teel who are also available early on. I would not choose Ajantis because he will eventually pick fights with evil characters like Viconia. Dorn is also worth considering owing to his decent side quests.

For BG2 you could still have either Edwin or Neera as your mage NPC - both would work very well (Jan is another useful option owing to his strong mage and thief skills). Your sixth NPC should probably be a warrior like Valygar, Minsc, Jaheira, Rasaad, Mazzy or Anomen, or even Dorn if you can handle/stomach his quests (I can’t). Be aware though that some pairings do not work e.g. Minsc and Edwin and will eventually end in a major bust up....but a search for such conflicts on the forums will explain further :)

PS although Imoen is important plot wise and has excellent stats and skills, personally I’m finding it harder to find a place for her in my run throughs owing to the advantages of having EE characters like Rasaad and Neera in the game with their rewarding sidequests. Before EE I found her essential though, and she’s still a very reliable option for many party types, regardless of alignment.
  • KuroAisuKuroAisu Member Posts: 8
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Edit: Archer is very powerful in BG and will remain so in SoA but will gradually diminish in ToB but remain strong throughout. Longbows are a weak weapons option in BG2 and ToB, shortbows are a better choice

Tuigan as best bow? What about Firetooth some say that's the best ranged weapon??

Is Neera a good mage in BG2?

Can I go with Dorn as a midly good party?! In BG2?!

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    edited May 2019
    The problem with crossbows is the attack rate. Crossbows have a base of one attack per round, while bows have a base of two attacks per round. With all the damage you're adding with the archer kit, more APR is usually better. Firetooth does do the most damage per hit; when you spend a Whirlwind Attack for a burst of damage in a big fight, that's what matters.
    With bows, the key thing to know is that auto-ammo weapons add the damage from the free ammo to the damage of whatever real ammo you're using. As such, Tansheron's bow (+1d6 damage from free arrows) outdamages every longbow in the game. The three best bows are all shortbows, and all available in SoA.

It doesn't take all that much to be a "good" mage in BG2. Any of Edwin, Imoen, Neera, or Nalia is certainly capable of filling that role. Jan and Aerie are second tier here, with their slower multiclass spell progression. There is plenty of support for the wild mage kit, found in Neera's quests; you can get items with what amounts to a permanent +30 to wild surge rolls, so that a random wild surge has a 31% chance of just casting the spell normally and a NRD cast has a >50% chance of casting anything in your spellbook from a level 1 slot.
    Note that Neera will absolutely refuse to work with Edwin, as he's a Red Wizard.

Dorn in a good-ish party? Viable in BG1, trouble in BG2. Don't try ever having him in the same party as a Radiant Heart member (Anomen or Keldorn) for example. You'd have to thoroughly reshuffle your party for his quests, then spend gold building your reputation back up from all the wanton killing.
    His BG1 quest, on the other hand, is just a matter of revenge on two obviously evil ex-partners of his; no reputation drops except the -2 for having him in the party, and that's refunded when you drop him.
    Post edited by jmerry on
    gorgonzola
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2019
    You need an additional tank, I find Korgan very effective, despite his evil alignment he is okay to use in good parties (though he conflicts with Aerie!) as long as your rep is below 18.

While weak in bg1, Rashaad can be very effective in ToB levels, definitely worth a slot. His questline in ToB is very interesting and fun, as well. Get either Neera or Edwin for the mage slot, Neera has good ToB questline as well, while Edwin is more dependable in combat overall.

Viconia is all the cleric you need. Imoen is all the thief you need, plus support mage.

Your char will be all the ranged power you need. In SoA shortbows are the king, Tuigan bow is very easy to get and effective, Tansheron's bow solves +3 requirement, and Gessen just rocks.

In ToB you may lose some power, but use slings in ToB against tougher enemies. Yeah, slings. Slings are surprisingly effective, with (giant) strength bonus and those sweet +4 bullets do pack a surprising punch. With greater whirlwind, number of attacks per round is meaningless. Definitely buff your strength, and use greater whirlwind with a powerful sling and +3 +4 bullets against tougher opponents.
    gorgonzola
    Nice help guys!

I almost decided about the party, will post later!
    Need help creating the Archer from Bg1ee to finish!
    Going with shortbows and?! What do you think? Some melee, dual, or a great melee weapon? Or another ranged proficiencie?!
    Thanks
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Shortbows is a great choice. Tuigan and Gesen are both very good. You will get the pips to max out a second ranged weapon if you want flexibility but this is not needed.

I would go dual melee so you can mix it up close up if needed and have lots of attacks. Later in the game when ranged attacks start to lose power this will be helpful. You can still be very good in close combat as your base Thaco will be good and some enemies will be immune to your ranged damage (although this is rare). Axes, hammers (blunt damage is nice) and long swords are probably best, with short swords or scimitars being a good off hand choice as they have versions that give an extra main hand attack.
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2019
    Shortbows is a great choice. Tuigan and Gesen are both very good. You will get the pips to max out a second ranged weapon if you want flexibility but this is not needed.

I would go dual melee so you can mix it up close up if needed and have lots of attacks. Later in the game when ranged attacks start to lose power this will be helpful. You can still be very good in close combat as your base Thaco will be good and some enemies will be immune to your ranged damage (although this is rare). Axes, hammers (blunt damage is nice) and long swords are probably best, with short swords or scimitars being a good off hand choice as they have versions that give an extra main hand attack.

It still baffles me how good they made Belm considering its low enchantment level and how easy it is to acquire. Guarded by a single neutral cow that doesn't really care.
    BG1EE party (Good playthrough)

Me Archer shortbows prof
    Yeslick (Tank)
    Safana (Thief role)
    Branwen Healer?
    Kivan->Coran (the cheater!)
    Neera (mage)

BG1EE (Evil playthrough)

Me Female Assassin
    Dorn
    Shar-Steel dual to thief at 3
    Viconia
    Edwin->Baeloth
    6th??

BG2EE (Good playthrough)

Nalia or Neera
    Mazzy or Valygar or both

BG2EE (Evil playthrough)

Me Import assassin or not
    Dorn
    Hexxat (romance)
    For now!

Im trying to get a change of characters that I didnt gave a chance on all playtroughs I did. But at same time that can be viable!
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128

I'm actually not finding this to be true. I turned Mazzy into an archer with EEKeeper and I am currently playing through ToB. I have 5 pips in both short bows and crossbows, but actually mostly just use Firetooth right now. With the +.5 APR Gauntlets, and Improved Haste she has 7 attacks per round with crossbows, and I just load up on critical strikes. She is hitting for 50ish damage, 7x per round. It's actually unreal how strong she is. She has -18 Thac0 right now, and has far and away the most kills in the party.

gorgonzola
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited May 2019
    While archery in general does diminish in effectiveness as you progress through the series, specialized archer characters (eg. pretty much any warrior-type with grandmastery in a ranged weapon) do not.

If anything, having one less character to micromanage (just park on the side and right-click) is downright euphoria-inducing in many cases (like if your party at least 3 other arcane casters - with great power comes a great need to pause every 0.x seconds).
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited May 2019
    the problem with warrior types using late game ranged weapons is that even with GM in them you have to trade between high damage/shot, like with slings (str bonus + weapon enchantment one + bullet enchantment one), and apr like with bows (no str bonus and no arrow enchantment bonus).
    unless they don't rely on gww to have 10 high damaging apr with a sling or an other high damaging but low apr weapon.

it can be convenient to have a fighter ranged to avoid micromanaging and for tactical purposes, like to use him to focus the fire on the enemy that has to be shoot down fast, no matter how is far, but in almost all the cases a fighter type do more damage/round while in mlee.

with the archer kit it is different as an archer can get both GM and up to +11 to damage and thac0, this make him so strong with ranged weapons and make the low damage high apr weapons so deadly in his hands, improved hasted with the +1 apr bow or with gww, str enhancing items and a sling he can be almost as effective as a mlee fighter, but having probably way better thac0 so hitting more constantly.

also clerics don't loose effectiveness with ranged weapons at high level as they can have almost the same thac0 of a same level fighter and the 25 str bonus with no items needed (so more str items for the rest of the party, if we are looking at the maximum party efficiency and not only to the maximum damage a toon can do packing all the best items on him).
    an hasted cleric with end game sling and bullets can do little less of 60 dmg/round with thac0 better then -10, probably can reach -14.
    it is not being as effective as a fighter type, but is surely not loosing effectiveness compared to what he can do ranged in bg or in the first part of soa.
    and this letting him all the time he needs to still cast his spell/round.
    he has also his personal way to perform gww, using energy blades, if it is needed, 9 + 1d10 electric damage/hit, so 14.5 * 9 = 130 awg dmg/round if all the blades hit.
    EDIT: this if you buff your clerics, but as they have very good on self combat buffs why don't use them...
    StummvonBordwehr
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    On top of the Archer getting benefits, Called Shot is also very powerful, both for the Save penalty and the strength drain.
  • JanWJanW Member Posts: 6
    KuroAisu wrote: »
    Hi, Ive finished BG1 many times but not BG2 once... I`ve bought sometime ago all trilogy EE and want to run all the way to finish!

I want some help building a party mostly for BG2EE as in BG1EE I think i'll go with

BG1EE

Me Strong Archer type char Ranger kit Archer? Want to use the best ranged weapon on BG2EE (Firetooth it seems??)
    Imoen or replacable NPC? Played to many times with her, maybe Safana?
    Viconia (love the drow!)
    Coran (the cheater!)
    Edwin/Neera? (mage)
    Fighter/Tank type char (help?!)

BG2EE

Mage Npc
    6th NPC

I´ll play mostly good but I can handle evil NPC's in party (I think!)

What say you?! Thanks

Hello, just gonna comment on your npc selections:

BG1EE:
    Archer type toon will be super strong in BG1, but not too much in BG2-ToB. Also, while BG1 items, spells, mechanics are very "simple" if you get my meaning, so you'll enjoy overpowering everything from afar, but in BG2 and onward you'll be wanting to have more stuff to do, abilities, spells, item combos etc. Specially since ranged combat isn't too strong anymore. Archer-Cleric dual class makes not much sense since cleric can't use bows, which is the whole archer kit thing.
    You could consider going for something more flexible, a figther kit maybe, shooting arrows (still super strong, consider that Coran is insanely strong with bows in BG1 and he's fighter thief), then dual class it to something else at level 13. (Lots of combos here, figher to cleric like Anomen which to me is one of best toons in game, kensai to thief with Use Any Item with Sugar on Top.... A fighter with all the arcane combat protection/buffs is super strong (tensers, protection from normal or magical weapons, stoneskins, plus all the divine cleric self buffs (see Anomen).
    Remember to pick your weapon specs correctly so you don't overwrite them with your 2nd class.

- Imoen excelent thief. Safana very good and early acccess too (super important in BG1 to access toons early, the halfing in hall of wonders for instance is the strongest thief ability but too late into the game). Safana very good too, prety much Imoen clone.
    - Viconia excellent. Get strenght increasing items to hit stronger with slings.
    - Coran absurdly good as archer plus thief skills.
    - Edwin best single class mage in BG1 and BG2, even better in BG2.
    - Kagain one of the best melee and tank too.
    Good aligned party you might replace Kagain and Edwin for Minsc + witch combo.
    And replace Vicky for Yeslik (super strong too).

BG2 good party:
    Viconia + Strength for increase in sling damage. Her dex is excellent. Maybe increase her constitution but not necesary if ranged.
    Keldorn super strong + Carosmyr.
    Keep him and get Sarevok align changed with Ravager Halverd + Imp. Whirlwind.
    Imoen dual classed to mage is excellent, perfect thief abilities and strong mage. Short bow her.
    Valygar + Celestial fury + +1 hit per round off hand sword.
    Or Anomen plus dual wield with crom fayer in off-hand.
    Jan Jensen compliments really well for skills imoen is not proficient at, plus great mage and unique abilities and items.

BG2 evil party (really overpowered):

Viconia. with slings.
    Korgan. Axe + off hand crom fayer.
    Hexxat.
    Dorn or Sarevok. same as previous.
    Edwin.
    KuroAisu
    At the moment finished naskel mines and made some side quests um running with this good party,

Me Archer kit
    Ajantis
    Kivan later to Coran
    Branwen later to Yeslick
    Safana
    Neera

At same time doing evil party too!

Me assassin
    Kagain really tanky!
    Dorn
    Viconia
    Shar-Teel level 3 dualed to thief!

Basically I'm trying to rotate some of characters that I didn't gave a chance and the new ones I didn't basically!
    Aerakar
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I’ve always liked the canon party myself. It’s well rounded enough that any protagonist can fit with it.

So Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen.

For BG2 I pick up Keldorn and Aerie. And Yoshimo for a while.