Skip to content

Is it Possible?

Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
Are there mods like SCS and any others that you can copy into an extracted .obb file and then compress back into .obb that work?

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2019
    There is a how-to thread somewhere around here which gives you a good tutorial how to install mods on Android. I have already used it several times, though not with SCS. Just take care to read some of the last posts there. The instructions in the beginning of the thread didn't work for me.

Edit: You need a PC to do that, but not a PC installation of the game.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Allanon81, you wouldn't be able to repack the .obb unless you could repack it to exactly the same size. When the game starts, it does a bit size check and if it is different, it deletes, the obbs and starts downloading again.

In saying that, it is reasonably easy to add mods to the game through the use of a modfile. This is essentally all that mods the you want, preinstalled on the PC platform, wrapped up together and copied onto your device. Mods like SCS work better since v32 Beta came into being.

If you are interested in doing that, then have a look at this thread as to how it is done. You can ask any questions in that thread and those with the know will respond. Be aware that some of the procedures on the first post are outdated and from about page 8, deals better with v2.x problems. It still uses the concepts of the original post though. I placed a how-to document on the thread which goes into editing the .obb. Please don't do that. We have moved on since then and have come up with better ways for the dialog.tlk to be recognised. I now use that as the last resort. I have been waiting for 2.6 to arrive before I updated the document.

If you don't have a PC, then not all is lost, it just means that someone else could do it for you. Just ask the question listing the mods and components that you would like. My system is set up to do tht sort of thing. Here is a sample modfile (BG1EE) that you could try before you buy (so to speak, there is no charge!)... It has SCS in it (there is a WeiDU.log attached as well if you want to look at it). There is also a BG2EE version floating around; wasn't sure which game you were looking at so if it was BG2, let me know and i will find it.

To install:
    - if you already have other mods in an override folder, rename the override folder (override.old) so the game doesn't read from it. Don't want mods to mix yet.
    - download the mod (it is still there, I just had a quick look) to your device'
    - unpack the modfile so the the contents are placed into the following folder:
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Files

- You should now have something like:
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Files/override
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Files/save
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Files/lang-en_US.zip
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Files/baldur.lua

plus any other folders you might have like characters, sound etc.

Give the game a start. If all goes well, then (one by one) you could probably add any override mods you have into the game but I wouldn't yet until you have extensively tested the modfile.

Anyway, give it a go as it may just suit what you were after anyway. If it isn't, then pose the question...

All the best
    Gus
    JuliusBorisov
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 327
    @Gusinda, Thnk you for your help. OK, I just started using that sample modfile you posted in this thread. Everything is working fine except the .spl files crash my game when I cast spells. I removed those and that fixed everything until I go to certain areas and it crashes again (Third floor Friendly Arm Inn, the whole area map of the temple next to Beregost, some kind of encounter south of Beregost, but not the map, maybe others...) Do you know what file(s) are causing this to happen? I was successfully able to pack the dialog files with no compression using Total Commander app on my phone. And things worked fine until said crashes. I'm getting the extra dialogs, npcs, and everything else except spells and I suppose some kind of special encounters. Oh yeah Neera encounter crashes as well. So, hoping you can lazer in on what is happening. I've tried removing .are files and .bcs files and both at the same time...Don't know if those are culprits or not. Also SCS seems kinda easy to me. I'm playing on hard. Don't know. Enemy AI just seems easy. Maybe its just the beginning? So, I'll leave it at that.
    Just resolved a bunch of things, everything is working fine except when I pack in the dialog.tlk files it redownloads the patch.main.ogg file and won't start. I'll try and put the diakig.tlk files in a seperate folder by the override, sound, yaddayadda folders.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Allanon81, the most likely problem would be the dialog.tlk. Was it the sample file that was crashing? If so, which spells were the problem? I can take a look and see. Not sure why you would need to repack the dialog.tlk file as it was setup to just copied; it has 'centralfix' applied which allows the game to properly read the contents, if it can't, the game will crash. If you did and renamed the new one, then it could be that the old one is still in the Files folder and the two are clashing which would also make the game crash.

If it wasn't the sample, and you created your own, then would you be able to upload and I can take a look as well.

Did you have a PC at all? I can step you through the creation process if you want. If you don't have a PC, I can do a new modfile for you. From memory, I don't think that SCS in that modfile included all the increased difficulty improvements.

Gus
    OK, I would like the same file but with the SCS difficulty enhancements. I guess everything that would be closer to PnP. And I need to know what to do with the lang_en.zip file. I saw another thread where you don't unpack right?