Party combinations (Good)

My last party was made by

Me(Ranger)
Minsc
Dinaheir
Imoen
Khalid
Jaheira

Now I want to put away 4 of these but Imoen.

So I got myself (Chaos Sorcerer) and Imoen. Suggestions on npcs that I should add?

Comments

• DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 22
    Kivan and Ajantis are nice replacements for Minsc and Khalid, as Cleric Branwen is nice and available early or alternatively Yeslick later on. To replace Dynaheir I would suggest Xan, Neera or, as you are a Sorcerer yourself, maybe Garrick as a Bard would be a cool addition.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I would love to get a decent cleric. The only thing I don't like from Yeslick is that it doesn't get added by any mod to BG2. As such, I was looking for a great replacement for a cleric. Branwen bores me a bit, she is a bit too obsessed with Tempus.
  • DragonwizardDragonwizard Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2019
    Well if you do not pick Ajantis (he clashes with every evil NPC) you could take Viconia instead of Branwen. She is even in BG2 by default and then Kagain could be a nice option for tanking, even though you would have evil NPCs in your group then. The only other non-evil Cleric would be Quayle as an Cleric/Illusionist who comes quite late in the game unless you use mods.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Warriors
    Kivan, found in High Hedge, is a fantastic Ranger, arguably the most versatile warrior in the game (sans Dorn). Ajantis is a decent sword-and-board Paladin, though you're going to want the Gauntlets of Dexterity for him to do proper tanking/front-lining.

Rasaad is bad, but if you want a Monk, he's a Monk. :neutral:

Arcane
    Depending on how much arcane firepower you would like, you could pick up a second mage in the form of Neera the Wild Mage (found in Beregost) or Xan (rescue in the Nashkel Mines). I would vouch for Xan--if you want your sorcerer to toss around lots of damage spells, you can have Xan specialize in crowd control and buffs/debuffs. Sleep, Hold Person, Confusion, Chaos, Domination, Charm Person, those sorts of things.

If you don't want to have two dedicated mages, go for the Bard Garrick, found in Beregost.

Divine
    Options are rather limited here sadly. Yeslick is very powerful but doesn't show up until halfway through the game. Branwen is a solid choice for a dedicated Cleric. Also halfway through the game is Quayle, a Cleric/Illusionist with severe ego problems. Fantastic character, but waiting through half of the game to pick him up is obnoxious indeed.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Kivan, Ajantis, Branwen, Xan, lalalalala :)
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Coran is a good choice, excellent archer and thief and he will let you dual Imoen to a mage as you can pick him up around the same time you are likely to want to dual her
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Coran is a good choice, excellent archer and thief and he will let you dual Imoen to a mage as you can pick him up around the same time you are likely to want to dual her
    Man, I knew I was forgetting someone.

I absolutely think it's worthwhile to have two thieves in BG1, even if you don't dual-class Imoen (I never do, personally). I'd do the same in BGII if choices weren't so limited. Rogues are underrated as hell.
    edited May 2019
    I like to do all the early side locations before Cloakwood, so Coran, Yeslick and Faldorn are always no-nos for me. Each to their own though.

As far as thieves go its usually Imoen, Safana or Montaron for me, or two of them as @Quartz suggested.

Branwen yay! Viconia (BG1 anyway) bleh! :)

PS Garrick is perhaps the better choice for Xan in this particular case, as Charname is a sorcerer anyways...and Garrick is much easier to find.
    Post edited by Dharius on
    Dharius wrote: »
    I like to do all the early side locations before Cloakwood, so Coran, Yeslick and Faldorn are always no-nos for me. Each to their own though.
    Yea, and this is why those late-game NPCs are problematic. Really breaks the flow of the game depending on how you play through. Personally, I can manage picking up one late-game NPC, but any more than that and it kills the flow of the game and I end up restarting with a new character. The Eldoth-Skie duo is the worst offender of all.
    Dharius wrote: »
    PS Garrick is perhaps the better choice for Xan in this particular case, as Charname is a sorcerer anyways...and Garrick is much easier to find.
    Xan is literally next to a baddie you have to kill for the main quest, though?
    Yeah but Garrick’s easier all the same. :)

And while the Eldoth/Skie quest is rather unsavoury, somehow I always end up attempting it...temporarily moving aside two party members to bring them in for a while. If only her house wasn’t full of such tasty loot :D