Skip to content

Importing BG1:EE Characters from Mac to iPad

I've been Googling for hours, and I can't for the life of me find anything recent on how to transfer characters I've started on my Mac version of BG1:EE to my newly-purchased iPad version. I've seen lots of things about going the other direction (iPad to Mac) and some things involving a MUCH older version of iOS. Does anybody have information on this, please?

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I don't have a Mac, but I do have and iPad, no idea how much browsing you can do on a Mac or if you are able to rename extensions. Can tell you the procedure for going from PC to iPad.

1. Goto Documents folder and find your 'characters' folder.
    2. Zip the folder and rename the extension like this: characters.zip -> characters.bg1data
    3. Email that to yourself as an attachment.
    4. Open your email on your iPad and download that attachment
    5. This should give you the option to send it to your Baldur's Gate installation.

You can do the same thing with your 'portraits', 'save', 'override', etc if you like.

For BGIIEE the extension would be 'characters.bg2data'.

So again, I have no idea if Mac will let you do the above, but maybe you can ask a friend who has PC to do that for you and email it back to you. Hope this helps.

Cuv

• JPMillsOSUJPMillsOSU Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! Your directions didn't quite work, but I was able to figure it out from what you sent. I had to change steps 2 and 5:

2. Select the items in the folder you wish to import. Choose File -> Compress XX Items (where XX is the number if items you are sending). Rename the zip archive to characters.bg1character (to get it to extract to the characters folder). IMPORTANT: Make sure to go to the file's "Info" (File -> Get Info) and take out the ".zip" from the extension (otherwise, it still wants to treat it as a .zip file when you send it instead of the .bg1character file, and it won't give you the option to send it to Baldur's Gate when you download it).
    5. After you download it, long press on the file in the email and let go, and it will give you the option to "Copy to Baldur's Gate". When you go into Baldur's Gate and try to "Import" a character, they should be there.

Thanks again -- your post was just the spark I needed to figure the rest out!
  • LiarLokiLiarLoki Member Posts: 3
    Not working anymore... i do everything you say.. i import it in my ipad.. but then no characters (that i import) can see.... another way it works from ipad to pc.. but not from pc to ipad...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Can you please upload the zip you're importing?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    So I looked there. Please name the files correctly. characters.bg1character, not THIEF.bg1character, as explained in the posts of @Cuv and @JPMillsOSU
  • LiarLokiLiarLoki Member Posts: 3
    well its not working... when i do what you say... BG:EE starts.. but no character in pregenerate characters....
    @LiarLoki Please check out just another thread about the same issue - https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/boqlp7/portraits_ios_enhanced_edition/